RC Purchase Limit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being socially acceptable does not matter in terms of what or how many RC'S you purchase. What does matter is if the $ and time spent on the hobby affects those that you care about negatively. Its my opinion that the purchase of these should be with disposable income that in no way affects your ability to pay bills, support yourself and your family and even meet financial goals. Full disclosure, I've spent to much time on the hobby taking away time from my wife and daughter in the past and I regret that. Money was never an issue but the hobby became an obsession which wasn't healthy for my family. Most of my obsession was spent on my track. I was out of control. Never again! Fast forward...I have one RC typhon and 1 airplane. My priorities are my daughter and my Girlfriend. a great hobby, just don't let it become an addiction that hurts others. Long drawn out response but if I can help others not to go down what could become a unhealthy addiction then its worth it.
This. Very much this.
When my wife was still around I typically had between 3 and 5. Looking back, I wish I had not even had those, and spent every waking moment with her.
My kids are grown, my bills are paid. It's not about the money these days, and I live by myself, so it's not bothering anyone, its all about keeping my mind occupied, and my hands busy. So I buy whatever catches my fancy.
So to all of you guys with significant others, kids, etc., don't let the hobby take time away from your loved ones. Spend lots of time with them, that's what's important. Take my word for it, having all the RCs you want isnt what it's cracked up to be when it's all you've got left.

One of the never-ending debates/questions associated with this hobby. It's easy to verbally "set" a purchase or spending limit, but sticking to it is a whole nother story. Between the crazy sales like the $399 Fireteam, some of the deep discounted Tower Hobbies scratch-n-dent items, ebay finds that are too good to pass up, @joostin420 and his tree, or some super cool release, it's really hard man. I feel like I have a rig to cover every aspect, from on-road to off road, 3s-8s, but there's always that new thing that just makes you say "Hmmmm...". Right now my family and I are looking to buy a house by year's end, so I told the wife no new rigs until we move (kinda regretting that now lol). In the meantime to keep myself occupied I've just been making long overdue repairs and fine tuning my current fleet. The crazy part that I've come to realize recently is that the money I've spent on parts recently could've bought a Typhon GROM. I dunno man, this hobby is a constant balancing act of patience & restraint. My RC's keep me sane though, it's like a very expensive therapist lol.

This. Very much this.
When my wife was still around I typically had between 3 and 5. Looking back, I wish I had not even had those, and spent every waking moment with her.
My kids are grown, my bills are paid. It's not about the money these days, and I live by myself, so it's not bothering anyone, its all about keeping my mind occupied, and my hands busy.
You hit the nail on the head there brother. I love the mental aspect of the tinkering.

Last edited:
I try too keep it around a dozen.That is due to space for cars/parts and recently another big tire purchase (HH sale) I purchased 2 recently and sold 2. Although I am coming into to some money in the next 30 days and starting to think about another. Thinking different and maybe a mini z. For indoor and to tinker with in the winter.

Kyosho Mini Z..good for an indoor track but I personally find it hard to drift...properly anyway. 1/18 with a gyro works well drifting indoors.
1714409290381.png

Being socially acceptable does not matter in terms of what or how many RC'S you purchase. What does matter is if the $ and time spent on the hobby affects those that you care about negatively. Its my opinion that the purchase of these should be with disposable income that in no way affects your ability to pay bills, support yourself and your family and even meet financial goals. Full disclosure, I've spent to much time on the hobby taking away time from my wife and daughter in the past and I regret that. Money was never an issue but the hobby became an obsession which wasn't healthy for my family. Most of my obsession was spent on my track. I was out of control. Never again! Fast forward...I have one RC typhon and 1 airplane. My priorities are my daughter and my Girlfriend. a great hobby, just don't let it become an addiction that hurts others. Long drawn out response but if I can help others not to go down what could become a unhealthy addiction then its worth it.
Truth!! I am guilty, the obsession is when you let priorities take a back seat. I swear I have OCD, but if I recognize that, is it really OCD?🤔🙃😜

Being socially acceptable does not matter in terms of what or how many RC'S you purchase. What does matter is if the $ and time spent on the hobby affects those that you care about negatively. Its my opinion that the purchase of these should be with disposable income that in no way affects your ability to pay bills, support yourself and your family and even meet financial goals. Full disclosure, I've spent to much time on the hobby taking away time from my wife and daughter in the past and I regret that. Money was never an issue but the hobby became an obsession which wasn't healthy for my family. Most of my obsession was spent on my track. I was out of control. Never again! Fast forward...I have one RC typhon and 1 airplane. My priorities are my daughter and my Girlfriend. a great hobby, just don't let it become an addiction that hurts others. Long drawn out response but if I can help others not to go down what could become an unhealthy addiction then its worth it.
Very well said, sir.

I made a deal with the devil 😈 (my wife) if she let me buy a hellcat I would not buy a new RC or pew pew for a whole year!! I don’t think I can make it a whole year!!! View attachment 363625View attachment 363626
Huh, I guess it's official. I must now be officially "old", I remember a hellcat being a charger or challenger.. now it's an SUV?! Don't get me wrong, it's sweet I'm sure..but I really lost touch I guess, LOL.

You lucky son of a gun...I just have the R/T 😩
He had a 2021 SRT Durango with the 6.4L but I've always wanted a hellcat. Its soooo much faster!!! LOL

Huh, I guess it's official. I must now be officially "old", I remember a hellcat being a charger or challenger.. now it's an SUV?! Don't get me wrong, it's sweet I'm sure..but I really lost touch I guess, LOL.
the best part its all wheel drive with 710HP

Last edited:
How many rc purchases per year can be justified socially acceptable in this rc community before crossing over into the realms of I need help....

Personal rule limiting myself to a max of two per year. However, have fallen off the wagon many times.
I say 6-8 a year should be an easily acceptable amount. :D

The new charger and challenger have the hellcat too. As do a couple others..

Ha, i don't care what you all think about my RC spending. But there is one person in my house with eyes 👀 on all the things I do. She's the one that put the limits on my RC spending :ROFLMAO:
this is me but instead of the wifey putting limits on me she tends to cosign on my bad ideas. Not a good thing :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

this is me but instead of the wifey putting limits on me she tends to cosign on my bad ideas. Not a good thing :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
She’s a keeper, my friend. 👍

Hmm....you guys are making me look really good. I have the v2 Noto and an SCX10.2. I am an extremely frugal guy though and never make impulse purchases. There are a few others at the house but they are the kids and don't count, right? We play together as a family and they LOVE it. As other have said so well, family is everything but as long as you're good finacially go for as many as you want.

No thanks on the Hellcat. My daily is a 95 Accord EX coupe I grabed for $100 (no lie) with around 600,000 miles on it, bone stock except for Koni yellows and Eibach pro kit springs. Original engine, original trans.
0101231249a.jpg

The hellcat is now more of an engine than a car model. It's like AMG, M, ZL.
They would not need 700+hp if they did not weigh so much.
Much better known then my LT4, at any rate I'm a fan.

Hmm....you guys are making me look really good. I have the v2 Noto and an SCX10.2. I am an extremely frugal guy though and never make impulse purchases. There are a few others at the house but they are the kids and don't count, right? We play together as a family and they LOVE it. As other have said so well, family is everything but as long as you're good finacially go for as many as you want.

No thanks on the Hellcat. My daily is a 95 Accord EX coupe I grabed for $100 (no lie) with around 600,000 miles on it, bone stock except for Koni yellows and Eibach pro kit springs. Original engine, original trans.
View attachment 363632
Your a smart dude! That's another lesson I had to learn. Don't get me wrong, I love a shiny new ride as much as anyone but the depreciation is incredible. At 231k miles, its become a contest how many miles I can get out of my jeep! :LOL:

Back