Rebuild motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Mojave EXB
  2. Outcast 6s
So the bearings of my 2050kv motor ar broken.
I've managed to dasasemble the motor, but I'm not sure if I have everything to rebuild the motor

I have the shaft with rotor (including two small pins)
the housing
I have two bushings
front and back-plate
tiny screws for the front and backplate
(see picture)

I have ordered two bearings (5x16x5 and 5x10x4)

Before rebuilding it I want to know if I need additional parts (because I might have trown them away accidentaly). I can't find an exploded view of the motor

Attachments

• 2017-10-22 20.17.14.jpg
    2017-10-22 20.17.14.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 570
So the bearings of my 2050kv motor ar broken.
I've managed to dasasemble the motor, but I'm not sure if I have everything to rebuild the motor

I have the shaft with rotor (including two small pins)
the housing
I have two bushings
front and back-plate
tiny screws for the front and backplate
(see picture)

I have ordered two bearings (5x16x5 and 5x10x4)

Before rebuilding it I want to know if I need additional parts (because I might have trown them away accidentaly). I can't find an exploded view of the motor
I need the answer for this as well. I did a search for "motor bearings" because my BLX 2050kv bearing exploded today as well and this came up and I want to try to repair it lol.

I need the answer for this as well. I did a search for "motor bearings" because my BLX 2050kv bearing exploded today as well and this came up and I want to try to repair it lol.

Have you dissasembled the motor yet?

I'm expecting top receive the replacement bearings today, so I might try to put the motor together with the parts I have at the moment....

Have you dissasembled the motor yet?

I'm expecting top receive the replacement bearings today, so I might try to put the motor together with the parts I have at the moment....
I disassembled the motor last night. I sent an email to Arrma trying to get a drawing with part numbers or bushing sizes or something as I don't have any idea what all goes into the motor.

I've rebuild the motor but something went wrong.
On first sight/feel everything seemed fine but the shaft stops every now and then. There is no specific point where that happens....
Sometimes after 90 degrees it blocks, other times I'm able to turn the shaft >360 degrees before it is blocked. I am glad I didn't connect it to an esc, because I suspect I would have fried it

Looks like I have to take it apart again..

Took it apart and re-assembed it, looks like it's fixed now. I think the small ring i used was a piece of the destroyed bearing.
So from back to front iI assembled it:
back plate - bearing - bushing - pin in rotor - rotor - pin in rotor - bushin - bearing - front plate

No no the curved washer is not extra... it goes on back end of shaft in between the shaft, and bearing spacer, right at the end before beaing... If not you will have play on motor feels ruff when you turn it, and over heat and or seize up from friction...

Sorry can someone please confirm on the above post, the curved washer is on the end of the shaft or between the bushing/spacer? I think it would go, bottom cover, bearing, spacer, washer, main centre core/shaft, bearing, and then top cover. I just worry it should be bottom cover, bearing, washer, spacer, main centre core/shaft bearing, and then top cover? I pulled my motor apart and now I can't figure it out, thank you.

If you’re talking about that chrome washer on the right of your picture, no, that should not be in your new motor, it’s a bearing face.

If you’re talking about that chrome washer on the right of your picture, no, that should not be in your new motor, it’s a bearing face.
Hi Peeeenuuutt, I've just hijacked this thread, but I have a newer 2050kv motor, it isn't a bearing component that I'm talking about. It is a little sprung washer that sits on the main shaft near the rear bearing, I just want to know what order to put the parts back in. It isn't apart at the moment, otherwise I'd take a photo, but I'm nervous after reading the post above I've put them back in the wrong order, I just can't quite understand the details as they are written. Thank you.

Hi guys,

Would be nice to get an exploded view of the motor. I mean that I want to repair an arrma motor by replacing the shaft by a new one. I'm thinking about making one but then a drawing would also help.

Thanks in advance

Hi guys,

Would be nice to get an exploded view of the motor. I mean that I want to repair an arrma motor by replacing the shaft by a new one. I'm thinking about making one but then a drawing would also help.

Thanks in advance
You can’t buy rotors. It’s just not a thing anymore. People like me with blown motors would be very happy if all we had to do was buy a $20 rotor and all it a day. Not like that anymore :(

And sorry @Primarrma never realized you sent that message.

You can’t buy rotors. It’s just not a thing anymore. People like me with blown motors would be very happy if all we had to do was buy a $20 rotor and all it a day. Not like that anymore :(

And sorry @Primarrma never realized you sent that message.
Ok thanks. That's a bit sad. So if something goes wrong with the motor you need to buy a new one? Still worth to take them apart. If you can't fix it you will know how the inside looks. ?

Thanks for your quick reply peenuutt.

Is it common for the motors to go bad and better to change to stronger system?

Ok thanks. That's a bit sad. So if something goes wrong with the motor you need to buy a new one? Still worth to take them apart. If you can't fix it you will know how the inside looks. ?

Thanks for your quick reply peenuutt.

Is it common for the motors to go bad and better to change to stronger system?
Yes, sadly you cannot repair a motor that suffers any damage to the shaft.

Actually with arrma it’s not really that common. Many people run into issues when they gear up or run high mah lipos (longer run times= longer the motor runs= overheat). Then they just upgrade the motor to a 4082 or 4092 size (slightly longer but plug and play).

I recommend a temp gun. Here’s my eBay special. Reads true and was $15 shipped:
image.jpg

Ok thanks. Better prevent than repair I guess.
Yes that temp gun will be very useful
The blx motors are great, just be careful if you ever run them through water and dirt, the water carries the dirt into the bearings and around the rotor, this is a sure way to destroy one. Try and keep the temp under 160°f any hotter and you'll quickly start to ruin the motor, they will cope with a lot, but high temps will be the death of them.

Also you can pick up a new blx for not a lot of money from a kit breaker like jennys rc.

You can upgrade the bearings to ceramic if you like, but even a good set of metal sealed bearings will ensure smooth operation.

This was a rotor that was destroyed by water, dust and heat. I put it back together and after a few more runs it got much worse then it exploded inside the can bringing the truck to a dead stop.
20190303_190852.jpg

Last edited:
The blx motors are great, just be careful if you ever run them through water and dirt, the water carries the dirt into the bearings and around the rotor, this is a sure way to destroy one. Try and keep the temp under 160°f any hotter and you'll quickly start to ruin the motor, they will cope with a lot, but high temps will be the death of them.

Also you can pick up a new blx for not a lot of money from a kit breaker like jennys rc.

You can upgrade the bearings to ceramic if you like, but even a good set of metal sealed bearings will ensure smooth operation.

This was a rotor that was destroyed by water, dust and heat. I put it back together and after a few more runs it got much worse then it exploded inside the can bringing the truck to a dead stop.View attachment 55357
Psht that rotor is still usable. Hold my beer.
09CF9897-154B-47D6-85E1-8D5388089681.jpeg

Yep that’s superglue holding it together. Damn thing overheated and blew apart inside the motor. Still rips, just gets to about a million degrees Fahrenheit in half a second. Honestly on 2s lipo it’s actually not bad. Like maybe still usable lol.

Thanks, but I'm really curious how that shaft is fitted in the rotor.

Psht that rotor is still usable. Hold my beer.
View attachment 55360

Yep that’s superglue holding it together. Damn thing overheated and blew apart inside the motor. Still rips, just gets to about a million degrees Fahrenheit in half a second. Honestly on 2s lipo it’s actually not bad. Like maybe still usable lol.
Wow, it exploded a few runs after this???

Wow, it exploded a few runs after this???
Nope. Overheated, rebounded, exploded, superglued back together (huge chunk came out and the Kevlar unwrapped) took a picture, and then put back in and ran again. Lol.
Thanks, but I'm really curious how that shaft is fitted in the rotor.
Nothing more than adhesive. That’s why it’s so dangerous for these motors to get hot. Heat makes the glue melt, when the glue melts shtf.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back