Shelf Queens

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even though "I " can't resist running them, I can understand that some truly enjoy the "chase" as well as just simply admiring them on the shelf.
We're all into rc's for different reasons 😎

I have my fair share of Beautiful Die Cast and Styrene models. Dozens of them. They are indefinitely sitting on the shelf and some packed away to make room for my RC rigs.
But the only reason I got into RC was because they Are Radio Control Cars that MOVE.
A new unused Rig Sitting on the shelf never moving is just lame to me. I can justify the enjoyment of constantly building them for sure. I would have to sell them right after and get another build going. And always at a $loss$. RC becomes a bad investment that way. If you never drive any of your rigs, are they RC models? Or Static display models?
If driving them was not my thing I would still be collecting Static Diecast models and/or building Styrene models. I moved onto RC for this reason.
I can't see spending money on a rigs chassis, not driving it, and placed on a shelf with a body on it, covering all the work I did, never appreciating the electrics and the driving aspect.
The original intent of RC is driving model cars or flying Planes and Helis, because they Move.
That one friend of mine who has a slew of never used rigs, nitro engines never started for 20 years etc. I see his excitement about them. Just that I can't relate. We don't have anything in common with the hobby. He never even used his 7PX before. Never used his GPS Performance Analyzer. He carries it around with him though. Showed me it when I first met him. I figured this guy would bash with me , Why else would he have a GPS meter. Yet Never drove an RC before in 20 years of owning RC's. Constantly braggs about how there is not one scratch on them. Except when his young son took one off the shelf and put a scratch on the chassis rolling it around.. Like he needed to tell me, clearly upset about that.
I thought RC, like many hobbies, there is a common interest. Sharing pictures of his RC stuff on his shelf is nice and all. Beyond that we have no common interest. Especially since he doesn't even wrench on them. When I speak in RC language, it's greek to him. He pays for custom painted bodies, Gets LHS's to install the most basic things. Even a chassis skin he is unable to install himself. Asked me to do it for him. But he ended up having the LHS do it, so it would be perfect. Then complained to me that it was installed crooked and asked if I could remove it and fix it. NOT. I said. Buy another. He is just a collector of Stuff. Works for him.(y)
I am not. I don't share in the mindset of collecting Stuff.. No value as a hobby to me.
Some people just like to show off what they have. The more of what they have collected the better. What works for them.
Not what they use and enjoy.

Last edited:
nice but not many antiquities. My shelf King is the Tamyia TXT-1 from I think 1984. I do not agree with SrC at all. If a rig has no spare parts anymore its better to have it on a shelf as broken after a few runs. Even that I have 2 of them I probably wont run them off or on road. Its a bit different with the ThunderTiger The Challanger 83. One of the two I am converting to electric and with the 3D scanner I will soon buy I can cnc most parts myself.

Did someone said, "shelf queens"? I got a few of those laying around. Enjoy the pics!!

Quote O.S. (In a recent dyno test for an upcoming issue of RC Nitro Magazine, the O.S. 18TZ rear-exhaust engine cranked out a record setting 2.28 bhp at 30,500 rpm.)

For those that don't know about that mill, it makes .21 race engine power. I bet that truck is a BLAST! (y)👊💪

nice but not many antiquities. My shelf King is the Tamyia TXT-1 from I think 1984. I do not agree with SrC at all. If a rig has no spare parts anymore its better to have it on a shelf as broken after a few runs. Even that I have 2 of them I probably wont run them off or on road. Its a bit different with the ThunderTiger The Challanger 83. One of the two I am converting to electric and with the 3D scanner I will soon buy I can cnc most parts myself.
I am not referring to antiques/vintage rigs specifically. They earn the right to sit on a shelf if not sold or parted with. Parts disappear for them. Why chance breaking them. I agree. Just the reality with RC's as the model gets old and replaced by a new model. True even with scale cars over time.
I was an Associated fan boy from the 90"s RC era. Learned much at the Track. There was no internet back then. Magazine subs only.
I still have all my rigs from those days forward. They are in running order. An AE Pan car and 2 10T's, and a TC3. And my 2 GT Nitros get started once a year so they don't seize up. They are all driven gently, and remind me of RC models from years past. How they drive and all. They are not "Bashed" per se, at all. And I still have fun with them. If one wears out, with no parts available, they will remain on my shelf. Of the 17 rigs I own, my Arrma's Axial's and Tekno get the most attention for obvious reasons. Parts Support is there.
I can't justify building many new RC's, only to let them sit on the shelf. Never run at all for 20 years. Nitro engines will seize up etc. And you will NEVER get parts for them. Collecting them and not understanding them, they become costly $static$ models. So basically they become vintage out the gate with no interest in driving them. My main point. Like my friend does. Just a collector of stuff. I mention him as an extreme example. All his rigs are Shelf queens out the gate. His latest being a V1 Infraction, 2 years old now. Fell in love with mine when I was speed running mine. His sits on the shelf never run. Never will, like the rest of his Old RC collection. He is a well heeled guy, that likes to spend money on stuff. He works hard and this is his way of playing hard I guess. RC's sit on his shelf. Works for him. But myself being at the other end of the RC spektrum, we have no common RC interest.
He is truly afraid to scratch any of his RC's. So he tells me every time I ask him to meet up and bash. He always picks my brain as to what the next hot RC is out there. He is always ready to buy another with all the best Elecrics or Nitro engines and gear for his Shelf.:rolleyes: He has a new 7PX and doesn't understand he only needs that one radio for most of his rigs. Always looking for another Radio. I explained it many times. I stopped. He has zero practical knowledge of RC models. I feel bad for him in one way.:(
Maybe he is going through a mid life crisis or something.:unsure:
His logic just confuses me.

I am not referring to antiques/vintage rigs specifically. They earn the right to sit on a shelf if not sold or parted with. Parts disappear for them. Why chance breaking them. I agree. Just the reality with RC's as the model gets old and replaced by a new model. True even with scale cars over time.
I was an Associated fan boy from the 90"s RC era. Learned much at the Track. There was no internet back then. Magazine subs only.
I still have all my rigs from those days forward. They are in running order. An AE Pan car and 2 10T's, and a TC3. And my 2 GT Nitros get started once a year so they don't seize up. They are all driven gently, and remind me of RC models from years past. How they drive and all. They are not "Bashed" per se, at all. And I still have fun with them. If one wears out, with no parts available, they will remain on my shelf. Of the 17 rigs I own, my Arrma's Axial's and Tekno get the most attention for obvious reasons. Parts Support is there.
I can't justify building many new RC's, only to let them sit on the shelf. Never run at all for 20 years. Nitro engines will seize up etc. And you will NEVER get parts for them. Collecting them and not understanding them, they become costly $static$ models. So basically they become vintage out the gate with no interest in driving them. My main point. Like my friend does. Just a collector of stuff. I mention him as an extreme example. All his rigs are Shelf queens out the gate. His latest being a V1 Infraction, 2 years old now. Fell in love with mine when I was speed running mine. His sits on the shelf never run. Never will, like the rest of his Old RC collection. He is a well heeled guy, that likes to spend money on stuff. He works hard and this is his way of playing hard I guess. RC's sit on his shelf. Works for him. But myself being at the other end of the RC spektrum, we have no common RC interest.
He is truly afraid to scratch and of his RC's. So he tells me every time I ask him to meet up and bash. He always picks my brain as to what the next hot RC is out there. He is always ready to buy another with all the best Elecrics or Nitro engines and gear for his Shelf.:rolleyes: He has a new 7PX and doesn't understand he only needs that one radio for most of his rigs. Always looking for another Radio. I explained it many times. I stopped. He has zero practical knowledge of RC models. I feel bad for him in one way.:(

I hear that. I can think of many other ways to spend money on something that sits or hardly gets used, like my fukcin boat.... I guess if someone has the scratch and it's their thing to build top of the line poop and let it sit, I'd like to be the first one in on an estate sale lol..

I love boating. I had my Public Vessel Boat license here in NYS when I was young and worked at a resort Upstate.
I always wanted my own. Just not realistic. Can I afford one? Probably. A stretch maybe? IDK.
I know they are money pits. And would get little seasonal use where I live. I even considered a Jet ski of sorts, just to get back into the water again.
My water-skiing days are over. I was a decent slalom skier back when.

This is my shelf queen, not new or sexy. I bought it used when I was a kid which is what got me into RC. After I was done thrashing it for a few years it sat at my parents house unused for years. I wanted to get my son Into the hobby so I resurrected it, upgraded ALL the electronics and put it back into service. But shortly after getting it back on the road we upgraded to brushless bashers, first buying a Granite and then a Big Rock shortly after that. Now it basically sits unused again just waiting for someone to knock the dust off and take it for a spin. And also it pretty much breaks every time it’s driven.

901C8CFC-A1A5-41C7-B9B2-BC7FFFD8898C.jpeg

C3851DFF-78DA-46C7-B047-698E81A765FF.jpeg

It's hard not to! Especially when they are staring at you daily as you walk by, whispering "please spank me" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
+1
So true. When they stare at you all day long, How can you not drive them? However gently you drive , they should be used.:LOL:
When I was young. I would stare at my Die Cast static models. Wishing I could drive them. See them run.
RC models were the answer for me.
Why would I NOT drive my RC models? :unsure:
This is my shelf queen, not new or sexy. I bought it used when I was a kid which is what got me into RC. After I was done thrashing it for a few years it sat at my parents house unused for years. I wanted to get my son Into the hobby so I resurrected it, upgraded ALL the electronics and put it back into service. But shortly after getting it back on the road we upgraded to brushless bashers, first buying a Granite and then a Big Rock shortly after that. Now it basically sits unused again just waiting for someone to knock the dust off and take it for a spin. And also it pretty much breaks every time it’s driven.

View attachment 203086

View attachment 203087
She earns the right to sit on the shelf. It has character. You had fun with it. Nice rig there.
I remember working on that exact same rig numerous times for an old RC buddy of mine. He passed away. His son offered to sell me the rig. I told him to keep it. His father would have wanted it that way. His son was like 5 yo at the time and remembered when his father and I would RC together. His son is not into RC. The younger generation are into other things these days.
I need a set of Vitavon wheels before it becomes a shelf queen..
One reason why I won't get Vivaton wheels.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
When I refer to my 3 rigs I called shelf queens , it's not that they are brand new and never driven , they have been driven . My Senton 6s I got new sat in the box for 3 months because I work a lot and didn't have the time to take it out for it's first drive , and while that happened is when it got discontinued so I decided to only drive it on road ( which was fun ) and not get it muddy / wet / etc and trying to keep it clean . It has been used maybe 6 times I guess . Mainly cause I like driving my other RC's more . The DBXL-E I call a shelf queen , I call like that cause it is in very good shape , and has been driven / jumped , just not beat to death , and again doesn't get used much cause I like my other RC's more ( Mojave / UDR / Xmaxx / K8S / Talion ) and def use them way more !!!
However , my K8S has had the M2C in it since Nov , and I still have yet to drive it !!! Just to busy , and I started back in racing my 2wd SC6.1 again indoors .

He is truly afraid to scratch any of his RC's. So he tells me every time I ask him to meet up and bash. He always picks my brain as to what the next hot RC is out there. He is always ready to buy another with all the best Elecrics or Nitro engines and gear for his Shelf.:rolleyes: He has a new 7PX and doesn't understand he only needs that one radio for most of his rigs. Always looking for another Radio. I explained it many times. I stopped. He has zero practical knowledge of RC models. I feel bad for him in one way.:(
I agree. I justify the damage I do as as a benefit. I write off the cost as "you gotta pay to have fun and I can't improvise, upgrade, or make better parts that are not broken. Right?
As for the collectors, I once did some renovations with my father back in early 90s while I was still in high school. The owner of the house had 3 1:1 race ready Ducati's in his basement on display. Those were his "models". I remember asking if he drove any of them and he said they haven't had gas in their tanks since he had the dealer empty and clean out the tank and lines. What a waste was my thought

Classic Scale cars need to be driven or they go to crap. Never driven, you could end up with a beautiful clean Trailer Queen. Gas tank has to be boiled out, Fuel lines flushed and the heads and cylinders can corrode. Pistons seize. Piston rings are compromised. Car is ruined if it is not driven.
If you want to make a time capsule car, needs to be on blocks, tires removed, lines flushed empty and the engine fogged out. Battery removed. Then the car is ok for 20 years in storage possibly. Covered in a breathable cloth cover. Stored in a climate controlled, rodent free, garage.
Been there.
Everyone flys different.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back