Kraton Should i switch to xt90 connectors?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surchaufeur

Very Active Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Nero
  4. Notorious
I have a kraton 4s with traxxas connectors i know what your going to say arrma vehicle with traxxas conectors XD.
I had a traxxas car before and i had all my batteries with the traxxas plug. I was wondering if i change to xt90 will i increase performance and battery life?

Probably not going to change anything to do with performance unless your melting them

Over time, my traxxas ones are starting to fail. They are also more of a pain to solder.

I say if that's your only truck, replace them. Then as you add to your fleet, keep with xt90's.

At this point, I have like 30+ connectors to change with all my packs, charger cables and trucks. But I'm getting pretty tired of my traxxas connectors coming unplugged on hard landings and I'm really tired of soldering them, then grinding them down to fit in the stupid connector, then they don't hold well and fall out.

I'll be looking at $50+ just for connectors and a days worth of soldering.

I've changed all my RC cars to EC5. It's not my favorite connector, but every new Arrma comes with them and I don't like soldering if I don't need to, so switching over will actually save me from more soldering in the future. If you get the Dynamite brand connectors, they have the half cup like the XT90's and are pretty easy to solder.

But yeah, picking one connector for everything is a good idea so that you don't end up with 20 different adapters and weird batteries and stuff.

My wires today were super hot:/ and my sliper clutch broke

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 51
You won't notice any difference in performance or battery life due to the connector type. I have had a similar experience to @olds97_lss with the Traxxas connector failing (though only once) and resoldering it was painful. I only have one Traxxas and it has its own batteries so not a big deal for me like him and his 30+. My 2S vehicles/batteries have XT60's and 3S and above XT90's. EC5's are a good connector as are XT150's. The only reason I wouldn't run Traxxas connectors is that they are a pain to solder. Otherwise just try and standardise as it will make your life easier in the long run

You won't notice any difference in performance or battery life due to the connector type. I have had a similar experience to @olds97_lss with the Traxxas connector failing (though only once) and resoldering it was painful. I only have one Traxxas and it has its own batteries so not a big deal for me like him and his 30+. My 2S vehicles/batteries have XT60's and 3S and above XT90's. EC5's are a good connector as are XT150's. The only reason I wouldn't run Traxxas connectors is that they are a pain to solder. Otherwise just try and standardise as it will make your life easier in the long run
My wires are hot to the touch

hmm that shouldn't be a connector issue I would have thought. Which wires are you talking about? The ones on the battery side, ESC side or both?

Motor esc baterry every wire
Specially the connector is really hot almost uncomftable to touch

You could have a bad solder job. What battery are you using?

They are fine

4000mah 40c 4s
And 7000mah 40c 3s
I’m telling you that heat is caused by voltage sag. It’s a matter of fact. You can try to deny it, but that’s the root cause. Find out why and you will know how to fix it. Could be a bad cell. Could be a bad wire. Could be a faulty mosfet. Lots of possibilities.

I don't have 30 trucks, just around that many connectors I'd have to replace when including my trucks, chargers and packs. The only thing I currently have XT90's on are some xt90/xt60/trx spider connectors I made for my charger in my car so my bashing buddies at the time could charge.

Still, it's a lot of soldering/fiddling. Something worth doing, but not something I look forward to. Maybe I'll do it this winter since I run so much less then.

I’m telling you that heat is caused by voltage sag. It’s a matter of fact. You can try to deny it, but that’s the root cause. Find out why and you will know how to fix it. Could be a bad cell. Could be a bad wire. Could be a faulty mosfet. Lots of possibilities.
[/QUOTE
Whats voltage sag?
I have a brand new lipo and does the same
Whats voltage sag?
I have melted a traxxas connector on my kraton before and it was the loop plug

They are fine

4000mah 40c 4s
And 7000mah 40c 3s

What brand? 40C is pretty low, I wouldn't run a battery that said less than 60C. Those numbers aren't real, but it at least gives you something to compare against other batteries from the same manufacturer. I.e. if a company makes "60C" batteries and "100C" batteries, the 100C batteries are going to be higher quality. It's not really 100C, but it's definitely higher than the 60C batteries.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back