Kraton Soldering bullet plugs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC Steve

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Notorious
  3. Outcast EXB
I used to solder electronics for a living but bullet plugs have got me. How do you get the solder inside the plug instead of all over the outside? Any advice would be welcome. I'm trying to connect an ESC to an EC5 plug.

Make sure your soldering iron has sufficient wattage to transfer enough heat into the bullet (for 8mm I'd recommend 80W and up, for EC5 I'd say 60W and up should suffice though I find that more power helps as it shortens the time the iron needs to be on the work). Strip the end of the lead and put just a tiny bit of soldering flux on the wire. Insert into the bullet, put a dab of solder on the tip of the iron and make good contact with both wire and bullet. Begin adding solder as needed. Works a treat for me.

That's pretty much what I do now. What tip do you use on your iron?

I used to solder electronics for a living but bullet plugs have got me. How do you get the solder inside the plug instead of all over the outside? Any advice would be welcome. I'm trying to connect an ESC to an EC5 plug.

Get your hands on one of these oldie but a goodie soldering guns.

IMG_20230615_204406195.jpg

100W of instant heat!
Makes soldering EC5 connectors a Breeze!

Pro Tip:
I drill some 1/4" holes in a scrap piece of 2x4" wood -to use as a secure holder of the EC5 pins while I solder on the cables.

Reference Link-
@parcou
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/how-do-you-solder-these-or-protect-the-solder.50260/#post-718021

I'll typically use whatever tip has the most mass which is usually one of these (which is what I'm using currently). The have a pretty large contact patch both on the wire and the connector.
1686880138326.png

View attachment 306055

100W of instant heat!

Pro Tip:
I drill some 1/4" holes in a scrap piece of 2x4" wood -to use as a secure holder of the EC5 pins while I solder on the cables.

Reference Link-
@parcou
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/how-do-you-solder-these-or-protect-the-solder.50260/#post-718021
I've never been a fan of those myself, in part because they'll screw up guitar electronics and the form factor just isn't my favorite. But whatever works is good.

I got one of these on Amazon for 27€. 120W with adjustable temp up to 500°C/932°F. It's compact so it even makes for a good travel iron. I've been using it for over a year (pretty frequently too) and it's not showing any signs of wear. At that price point it's really good value for money.
1686880448151.png

I use a mini torch and heat up the bullet, fill with solder and jam the wire in whilst it’s still hot. Then assemble as normal.

I probably have more than 1000 hours of soldering time under my belt, but in my world everything is tabs. For years I've been turning my bullets into mini tabs to solder them. It works really well, but I feel it's time to learn how to do them right. This Saturday I'll hit the hobby store again for more plugs and try it again. Thanks for your help.

Tin the bullet first. And the wire.

Cut a little extra rubber insulation off the wire. It’s okay to have a couple mm of bare wire showing after inserting in the bullet. The EC5 plastic covers it anyway when you’re done.

Use that bare wire as a contact point for the heat.

I use a mini torch and heat up the bullet, fill with solder and jam the wire in whilst it’s still hot. Then assemble as normal.
Seriously this is the best method I've found! I hated doing bullets before I finally got a 10$ torch from amazon and some butane. Not only is it so much easier now but I can knock them out so much faster too. I still hate doing battery connectors though lol. too scared to torch that!

I still hate doing battery connectors though lol. too scared to torch that!
I use one of those Weller mega guns like posted above for my QS8’s and such.

View attachment 306055

100W of instant heat!

Pro Tip:

Reference Link-
@parcou
I drilled a hole for a EC5 bullet, 6.5mm bullet and 8mm bullet. Drilled them deep enough so 4/5 of the bullet is in the wood. I heat the bullet up, drip solder in it, tint the tip of wire with solder. Then stick the tip of the iron in the bullet until solder is pure liquid and immediately shove the wire in the bullet and hold it there (when done right, the wire get real hot fast!)
I only get EC5 that push into the connector from the back. I push the wire into the connector with a small flathead until it clicks in.

That's what i do too. Though it came as a last resort, because we have hopeless solder over here. There's no lead available anywhere. It's banned from every product you can imagine, because of health risks. Leaving us with crappy unmanageable tin S**t.
Funny thing is, i can still buy lead pellets for my air pistol 😐

That's what i do too. Though it came as a last resort, because we have hopeless solder over here. There's no lead available anywhere. It's banned from every product you can imagine, because of health risks. Leaving us with crappy unmanageable tin S**t.
Funny thing is, i can still buy lead pellets for my air pistol 😐
Where are you located at Mr. CrashALot?

The Netherlands of course, Mr. Turner.
🤔 Now that we're talking about lead free solder....
Will i be able to melt the awful 99% tin with a lead pellet and solder with that?
That would be a Eureka moment.
I might try that.

🤔 Now that we're talking about lead free solder....
Will i be able to melt the awful 99% tin with a lead pellet and solder with that?
That would be a Eureka moment.
I might try that.
No way! Are you kidding me?
It worked!!!!

IMG_20230616_083606937.jpg

IMG_20230616_084230980.jpg

Last edited:
Same problem in Germany.
They restricted the commercial use of leaded solder and for whatever reason all stores stopped selling leaded solder to private individuals, even though that has not been banned.

I just order my trusty Kester leaded solder from Amazon.com, got a few kg that should last me to the end of my hobby days :cool:

You could always dremel thin wheel a window on the blind side, I just tin fill that 1/2 way as the last step with the wire already cut and tinned. Pop some heat on the outer diameter while it's still hot and shove the wire in, top it off and align/cool. Necessary to have an octopus(helping hands) of flexible alligator clips, especially if you're doing an ESC in rig for efficient wire lengths.

0B67CE32-3EA9-4585-A060-6AABD426660D.jpeg

Always need a Large Blunt tip for big Gage wires and Bullets. I like 750+ degree temps with my Iron. Need it for large Tips. Flux used very sparingly placed inside the bullet will force the Solder to attract to the Flux within it . No Flux paste Outside the bullets will help much. Need to work quick. Preparation is key. Third Hand or a Jig helps much.
EC5's are far from my favorite to work with. I tried them. I don't like them for this and other reasons as well. I stayed with XT90's. Much simpler IMHO. And just fine for 6s running. For 8s I would only use QS8's. Perfect Pass makes good legit QS8's, FWIW
But I get it that most will just embrace the common HH EC/IC 5's, used with all their current RTR models. But HH EC's even cost more than legit Amass XT's.

Last edited:

View attachment 306055

100W of instant heat!

Pro Tip:

Reference Link-
@parcou
I have that Oldie but somewhat Goodie also. I rarely use it. It is a cheap alternative, but wasn't really designed for regular electric soldering at all. IMHO. I think it is used mostly for non-electrical type soldering, Like Stained glass and lead hobbyists.
Much too clumsey for me honestly. Like holding a Brick to solder delicate small joints. Need to hold it for a bit to heat up. Then it loses some heat when you touch the joint. That's where many joints fail, in the middle of the process, or become an issue. The Solder flow slows down. Cold dull looking joints result, etc.(n)
But many use this iron with Luck.:unsure: Just that it is a jack of all trades, master of none, type of Soldering Gun IMHO. With Hit or miss results. Any pro electrical tech., would never recommend this type of Iron.
For RC use or most any soldering I prefer a temp controlled Iron, with a Temp recovery indicator.
I think where most people also fail, is by not Tinning the Soldering tip first when New and keeping it very clean. And by reusing a clapped out abused tip constantly.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back