Someone doesn't know what voltage a lipo should be storage charged to

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used the battery for the first time. These were the cell voltages when i was done, and no theres nothing wrong with my esc or anything. The battery was also puffy. The difference was actually about half that when i first pulled it off the crawler but within about a minute thats what it grew to. The battery is in a vented ammo can sitting on top of my stove. Might leave it in the middle of my driveway so i can go to bed

20221119_023929.jpg

I would safely get rid of that lipo; it’s a (too) high risk lipo in that condition.
Is the only safe way to get rid of it to completely discharge the battery? Because i don't have a way to do that. Can i just solder some leads with a connector on them to a lightbulb? I found a small automotive lightbulb out in the garage, would that work?

Last edited:
Is the only safe way to get rid of it to completely discharge the battery? Because i don't have a way to do that. Can i just solder some leads with a connector on them to a lightbulb? I found a small automotive lightbulb out in the garage, would that work?
Yes that would work.
I once had an old unbalanced puffed lipo with one cell around 2.0v. I just kept driving slowly it by powering off/on the esc everytime LVC kicked in, since I wanted a ‘dead’ lipo in the trunk to go home. After around 10 times LVC (doesn’t take long) all cells were completely dead😄.
Or you can use a lightbulb:
https://oscarliang.com/dispose-lipo-battery-safely/

I hooked up 1 12v bulb to it and within seconds (20 or so) it puffed up even more, it became somewhat hard. At that point i emptied my (vented) ammo can and threw that battery in where it stayed until i got to my hobby shop earlier and was able to dispose of it. I still have the other battery i bought from them because even though the cell resistance was crazy high it hasnt puffed at all so if they want to pay to have it shipped back they can have it or the next time im at my hobby shop ill drop it off.

I hooked up 1 12v bulb to it and within seconds (20 or so) it puffed up even more, it became somewhat hard. At that point i emptied my (vented) ammo can and threw that battery in where it stayed until i got to my hobby shop earlier and was able to dispose of it.
Yeah that is a risk with the 12v bulbs on bad batteries, I built myself a discharge bunker out of cinder blocks behind my house solely for the purpose of discharging bad lipo batteries.

On the plus side i got this little thing running mint again after putting it away 12 years ago. Rebuilt the shocks cause they were toast and wouldnt hold oil. Tunned the diffs and resoldered battery wires onto the esc because the dude i bought it from 12-13 years ago did the worst wiring hack job i have ever seen that was all hidden away behind layers upon layers of electrical tape. Thank god i bought as many parts for it as i did back then because the few parts you can find for it are expensive as hell.
Btw, if anyone knows anywhere to buy associated rc18t parts please let me know.

20221120_022533.jpg

20221120_022603.jpg

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back