Someone doesn't know what voltage a lipo should be storage charged to

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt they made or assembled it. The had it made and they just branded it with their logo is more likely. Pretty much all batteries these days are made in China to the specs of whoever is distributing them. Even companies like SMC don't make or assemble their own lipos.

You are correct and that shouldn't happen, but since humans are involved and we're inherently flawed, mistakes will happen. Just tell them that they're wrong, quote a website explaining what storage voltage for a lipo is and tell them you want a new one and what you should do with the faulty one. That's what I'd do anyways.
i did reply, told them they were wrong and stated what voltages were what E.G. 3.2 dead 3.8 storage and 4.2 fully charged. also sent a link to "what voltage should a lipo be stored at" google search. they sell motors with there name on them and go into very specifics of the motor. they state things like "this is the new X motor from X (insert their name). it sure seems like they make their own products but frankly i don't give a :poop:. they are a very reputable and trusted brand in the crawler segment and they sure as :poop: should know better.

I wouldn't buy a lipo that came at 3.2 in the box. 3.8-3.85 is pretty standard on lipo storage charge.

well i got a reply to the email after i told them they were wrong about 3.2 being storage charge. they said "anything above 3.0 is safe to recharge. go ahead and run it, if it stops working in a month let me know". i don't even know how to respond to this.

well i got a reply to the email after i told them they were wrong about 3.2 being storage charge. they said "anything above 3.0 is safe to recharge. go ahead and run it, if it stops working in a month let me know". i don't even know how to respond to this.

Maybe you should ask to speak to the janitor? Because it sounds like they are a mess in customer service. 🤔

just to be clear, if a battery shipped dead at 3.2 volts and who knows how long it has been that low but lets just say it was just for the 5 days it took to ship, irreversible damage as happened right?

just to be clear, if a battery shipped dead at 3.2 volts and who knows how long it has been that low but lets just say it was just for the 5 days it took to ship, irreversible damage as happened right?
3.2V isn't a dead lipo. Just one that has been discharged pretty far. To my knowledge you start getting into dangerous territory when you go lower than 3V. Yes, it's lower than storage voltage but, to my knowledge, not so far as that any real damage should have occurred. Unless it was sitting like that for months or years maybe. That's probably why people have been suggesting to measure the IR of the cells to see what can be ascertained about their health.

3.2V isn't a dead lipo. Just one that has been discharged pretty far. To my knowledge you start getting into dangerous territory when you go lower than 3V. Yes, it's lower than storage voltage but, to my knowledge, not so far as that any real damage should have occurred. Unless it was sitting like that for months or years maybe. That's probably why people have been suggesting to measure the IR of the cells to see what can be ascertained about their health.
ok. it really pisses me off that because of some companies lack of knowledge and stubbornness i feel compelled to spend more money just so i can check IR of cells. the only reason im buying the plug to connect it to my main charger is because i have other batteries with the same plug

so if we take the best case scenario of the battery being at 3.2 volts for 5 days, what are the chances there has been permanent damage done? if we take the much more likely scenario that the battery was sitting on a shelf for who knows how long then what are the chances of permanent damage being done. other than the complete lack of knowledge from a company anyone would have assumed should be knowledgeable do i have anything to be concerned about?

Are you using said battery for speed runs or bashing? For bashing I'd be less concerned, for speed runs a little more so, you should check the IR either way. It is a little annoying they are causing undue stress during your fun time.

Are you using said battery for speed runs or bashing? For bashing I'd be less concerned, for speed runs a little more so, you should check the IR either way. It is a little annoying they are causing undue stress during your fun time.
For crawling, so i guess bashing

Depends on who you ask. I found a blog years ago where a guy tested what effects storing a lipo at different voltages had on ir, performance and flight time. He bought 3 of the same batteries, one he had at 3.2v per cell, one he had at 3.8v per cell and one at 4.2v per cell and let them sit for 1 month. After one month he did all the tests and logged the data for each test. His results showed that the only battery that had increased ir, lower performance and less flight time was the battery that was left fully charged. The difference between the battery left at 3.2v vs the battery at 3.8v was barely even noticeable. I really wish I would have bookmarked it as I cannot find it and it really was an interesting read.

But that being said it is usually industry standard to ship the batteries out at 3.75-3.85v.
For crawling, so i guess bashing
Crawling is a lot less demanding than bashing, I've even seen it recommended that you shouldn't use the same batteries from your bashers in your crawlers I don't remember exactly why though.

so if we take the best case scenario of the battery being at 3.2 volts for 5 days, what are the chances there has been permanent damage done? if we take the much more likely scenario that the battery was sitting on a shelf for who knows how long then what are the chances of permanent damage being done. other than the complete lack of knowledge from a company anyone would have assumed should be knowledgeable do i have anything to be concerned about?
Doubt that lipo has been sitting at 3.2 for 5 days, probably a long time on the shelf to get to that point. I would just charge it, run it, and get a few cycles on it. Nothing may be wrong with it but having lipos sit at 3.2 for extended periods is a no no.

Once had a couple new TRX lipos sent that were at 3.8, looked at the lipo and had a date on the wrapper that was already two years old. No problem with them but we're sitting on a shelf or warehouse for a extended period. Either kept their charge for awhile or someone bumped them up, I believe the former.

Doubt that lipo has been sitting at 3.2 for 5 days, probably a long time on the shelf to get to that point. I would just charge it, run it, and get a few cycles on it. Nothing may be wrong with it but having lipos sit at 3.2 for extended periods is a no no.

Once had a couple new TRX lipos sent that were at 3.8, looked at the lipo and had a date on the wrapper that was already two years old. No problem with them but we're sitting on a shelf or warehouse for a extended period. Either kept their charge for awhile or someone bumped them up, I believe the former.

The batteries would have to sit on the shelf for a long long time to get down to 3.2v per cell they were probably tested at the factory then not charged back to storage. As @Diem Turner mentioned the battery is a neutral state it won't discharge itself.

This battery has been sitting in its box since last December.
20221112_190743.jpg
20221112_190747.jpg

This one has been sitting just as long and it hasn't even had the leads plugged in yet.
20221112_191119.jpg

20221112_191404.jpg

20221112_191409.jpg

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/expectation-vs-reality.46550/

Almost a year later and both batteries are still at 3.8v. At the rate of self discharge the battery would be junk before it hit 3.2v per cell.

Last edited:
Well idk what to make of this. The batteries i bought are tiny 450 and 600mah with a jst2.0 connector. The batteries both have 22awg wires but the charger lead i had to make has 26awg wire soldered to an xt60. My big batteries read less than 5 mili ohms/cell so idk what these should read at. this is the battery in question. The other battery from them reads about the same but a little lower and more even.

20221113_002119.jpg

Side note, Anybody ever see a post dated as "tomorrow"? Thought i couldnt be the only one who found it funny

Screenshot_20221113-005025_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Well idk what to make of this. The batteries i bought are tiny 450 and 600mah with a jst2.0 connector. The batteries both have 22awg wires but the charger lead i had to make has 26awg wire soldered to an xt60. My big batteries read less than 5 mili ohms/cell so idk what these should read at. this is the battery in question. The other battery from them reads about the same but a little lower and more even.

View attachment 256002
Side note, Anybody ever see a post dated as "tomorrow"? Thought i couldnt be the only one who found it funny

View attachment 256003

The smaller the battery the higher the ir but, 127 and 104 is too high. Something is not right there.

The smaller the battery the higher the ir but, 127 and 104 is too high. Something is not right there.
I think that’s actually not too far off for those micro sizes, but the difference between the two cells might be problematic.

I think that’s actually not too far off for those micro sizes, but the difference between the two cells might be problematic.
Tha smallest lipos I have are 1500mah and they are less than 10, I really don't think they should be well over 100.

Well either me or a reputable retailer has no clue what storage voltage is. I bought 2 batteries from them. One arrived at sorage voltage and the other arrived dead at 3.2 volts. I put it in my crawler and the car ran for about 5 seconds before going into lvc. I emailed them and told them one of the batteries arived dead at 3.2 volts and they replied that 3.2 volts per cel is normal for stoarge charge. So yea, that happened.
Not that reputable of a dealer there. Are they?:unsure:
One pack is simply junk if it was a truly new one. 3.2v/cell is a dead/used/returned pack or whatever. Very very old stock sitting around for years or bad production. Who knows.
Just a fact Jack.:giggle:

Edit.
IR's are usually single digits when new and at Full Charge when you test for IR's. The best matched grade A cells.
IR's shoot up high when they are left in a discharged state. Triple digits means it is probably a dud.
As lipos age and get used, IR's normally increase gradually. But the Numbers should all be close. Or you have a sign of a bad cell or 2 crapping out before the others.

Last edited:
Tha smallest lipos I have are 1500mah and they are less than 10, I really don't think they should be well over 100.

The micro ones can have pretty crazy resistance values. I’m not totally sure but from what I can remember 100+ isn’t that unusual ( I know it sounds crazy) Someone in quads would probably know.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back