Typhon Speed runner Typhon 6S ~ UK built fast, not bought fast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice to see it running again. Finding a suitable road is tough. Always so many obstacles.
Thanks.
It is true about the road though as I don't think people realise how much space you actually need for these speed runners when they start getting really wound up.

I progressively accelerate and didn't even get to full throttle on my runs yesterday.
The other thing about that road is that I need to stay out of one lane further up the road as there is a nasty dip which at speed can cause issues. So yesterday I was having to stay out in one lane and then drift over to the other to avoid possibly hitting the back end of the green parked car. Not ideal.

Something else to show you all @Dutch213 @phildogg @ninadada @2015GTRBE @joostin420 @BashingBrian ...

It may be a sin, I'm sorry, but I bought a "Traxxas 5446" black rear wing earlier this week. o_O
I had a design shape in mind for my replacement wing and I did consider buying carbon fibre or aluminium sheet to make it but after trawling through R/c sites, Google images and more I finally found a ready made 1/8th scale wing that would fit the bill with some modifications.

First thing I did was to carefully measure 3 times and drill the holes correctly in the right position to mount it to my buggy bearing in mind that I wanted it to still aid in holding my GPS nicely in position.
35 Traxxas 5446 spoiler fitted.JPG

The wing is just over 1mm wider than the stock Typhon wing (203.2mm compared with 202mm) and has different mounting holes but is still a great fit for the Typhon.

Once I had trial fitted it I removed it and using my Dremel began cutting out the parts I didn't want. I then tidied it up with a scalpel to try and make it look as clean cut as possible.

38.JPG

37.JPG

36 Modified Traxxas spoiler.JPG

It has also netted me a small weight saving.
The stock Typhon rear wing weighed in at 62.86 grams and the newly modified rear wing weighed in at 33.82 grams so that's a bonus.

Thoughts welcomed on the new look. ;)

Me too thanks.

Looks spot on! Very nice work on the trimming. I hope the net affects are what you're hoping for.
Thank you.
Tbh without a wind tunnel and some R&D I haven't a clue whether it's for the best. :ROFLMAO:

All I'm hoping for is that it will cause a little less drag (also less "air braking" due to it's shape) than the original Arrma spoiler. I'm really happy with the shape of it and it has saved me some weight which is always good as it means my power to weight ratio went up.

Oh and I got the spoiler for £8.50 ($11 odd) brand new including delivery from someone on eBay so can't argue at that price. (y)

Last edited:
Note the black lines inside the wheels, where they rub against the suspension parts. I have the same problem. Also indicates possible out of roundness.

Note the black lines inside the wheels, where they rub against the suspension parts. I have the same problem. Also indicates possible out of roundness.
Yes it is not the best.
Will be having a good look at them all before I go out with it again.

Overall I'm happy with the GRP's but I just think the rims need to be slightly bigger for the Typhon and definitely cheaper. ;)

Long time speed runner here checking in (new to the forum)
Let me know if you have any questions I'd be more than happy to answer questions.
I saw that PhillDog chimed in already, he has a Typhon running in the 14x mph range, his advice is very solid.

I believe I still have the record as the 2nd fastest X-Maxx 8s at 72.5 mph
Recently sold my Slash 4x4 speed run car and 4-tec 2.0 that was fully built (tp power motor castle esc ) to get a Kraton V4 (which ill eventually speed run some)

So far everything you are doing looks good. The GRP tires are great till you go over 140mph and then could swap to BSR foams, however the BSR's get damaged very easily.

Personally I'd ditch the rear wing (it is slowing you down). Typically with RC cars the only thing you have to do is make sure the front end stays down. Raking the suspension to have the rear end higher is one of the best things to do since it will try to squat under full power.

If you get the spare funds, I'd recommend looking at the dynamite speed meter. You may have a few more mph than what the skyRc shows (not my video but shows the refresh rate well):

Good luck, and looking forward to more updates on the project.

-Liberty

Last edited:
Another side note about gearing, it takes a big motor with lots of torque to run around 1:1 gearing.
An example from my X-Maxx speed project:
29 pinion /46 spur I hit 72.5mph
tried upping the gears
34 pinion /46 spur and hit 68 mph (lost torque and couldn't push through the air resistance)

An ESC with data logs is a big help here, since you can pull rpms you hit during a run and adjust gearing with that info.

Personally I'd ditch the rear wing (it is slowing you down). Typically with RC cars the only thing you have to do is make sure the front end stays down. Raking the suspension to have the rear end higher is one of the best things to do since it will try to squat under full power.

If you get the spare funds, I'd recommend looking at the dynamite speed meter.
-Liberty
Hello Liberty, welcome aboard and thanks for your input so far. (y)
I'm going to see how it runs with the wing as after all it can't be worse than what was on it before, I may remove in the future though.

The suspension is something I'm still playing with at the moment so I will definitely try setting it up with some rake angle as I like that idea (so far I'm more or less level, maybe a few mm's taller in the back).

I did look at the Dynamite speed meter and I already watched that video when I was doing my research. In the end it came down to cost and what I was happy to pay. Maybe if things get more serious I'll consider changing then but for now I'm just having fun with it.
I am intending to go to a ROSSA event in June here in Wales if things go to plan so will run the Typhon through their speed traps which will give me the most accurate readings. ;)

Any input or tips etc is always appreciated thank you.

I did look at the Dynamite speed meter and I already watched that video when I was doing my research. In the end it came down to cost and what I was happy to pay. Maybe if things get more serious I'll consider changing then but for now I'm just having fun with it.
I am intending to go to a ROSSA event in June here in Wales if things go to plan so will run the Typhon through their speed traps which will give me the most accurate readings. ;)

Any input or tips etc is always appreciated thank you.

As you can see in the video, as long as you hold speeds for some time the slower refresh rate gps ends up getting there also.
The only problem is 3-4 seconds at 100+ is a long distance.

I wish I had some ROSSA events close by in the USA. Shoot some video if you get the chance!

-Liberty

As you can see in the video, as long as you hold speeds for some time the slower refresh rate gps ends up getting there also.
The only problem is 3-4 seconds at 100+ is a long distance.

Extremely long- at 100mph a car is traveling over 146 feet per second!!!

People extremely underestimate distance to accel, decel, drag and power to overcome drag at speed....

How many forums do you see guys in real cars say "I have gone 130, 140, 150..." and they haven't. Just because 'the dash said so'...

And even if you hit say 140, doesn't mean 150 is anywhere near easy. The faster you go, the difficulty increases substantially for each additional mph.

I look at a lot of these guys doing speed runs on rc cars...and I see soo many things they can change to do better.

But I don't have a speed car yet for RC, so I'll let them keep on doing what they are doing.

I don't want to be a peepee and tell them what to do when I haven't done it myself (at scale)...

Once I get my speed rc car (if I can find a good local spot to run)...then it is game on... :)

Extremely long- at 100mph a car is traveling over 146 feet per second!!!

People extremely underestimate distance to accel, decel, drag and power to overcome drag at speed....

How many forums do you see guys in real cars say "I have gone 130, 140, 150..." and they haven't. Just because 'the dash said so'...

And even if you hit say 140, doesn't mean 150 is anywhere near easy. The faster you go, the difficulty increases substantially for each additional mph.

I look at a lot of these guys doing speed runs on rc cars...and I see soo many things they can change to do better.

But I don't have a speed car yet for RC, so I'll let them keep on doing what they are doing.

I don't want to be a peepee and tell them what to do when I haven't done it myself (at scale)...

Once I get my speed rc car (if I can find a good local spot to run)...then it is game on... :)

I didn't say peepee...... must be some dumb forum filter. SO if a guy is legally named d*ck... you call him peepee? How old are we?

What I find amazing, is say if a 1/8th scale truck does 100mph, that is 800 scale mph !!!! I'll be taking my 2 Typhons out soon. One is a 3S running a Castle motor and 6S, the other is a 6S with a spool and 29/34 gears. I expect to get over 100 on each. Having range problems, but working on it.:)

I wish I had some ROSSA events close by in the USA. Shoot some video if you get the chance!
The event is over 3 hours away by car from my house but I really want to go up to see firstly what my car can do with the space and secondly what the Pro's are doing.

Providing all goes well and I make it up there I will definitely get some video. (y)

The event is over 3 hours away by car from my house but I really want to go up to see firstly what my car can do with the space and secondly what the Pro's are doing.

Providing all goes well and I make it up there I will definitely get some video. (y)
@WoodiE, this is where an Arrma forum t-shirt would do some damage. Hope you do get a chance to go @crimsonfancy.

What I find amazing, is say if a 1/8th scale truck does 100mph, that is 800 scale mph !!!! I'll be taking my 2 Typhons out soon. One is a 3S running a Castle motor and 6S, the other is a 6S with a spool and 29/34 gears. I expect to get over 100 on each. Having range problems, but working on it.:)

Futaba has great range compared to all other brands. The 3pv is a very budget friendly radio and has served me well. It will be going in my Kraton soon.

Futaba has great range compared to all other brands. The 3pv is a very budget friendly radio and has served me well. It will be going in my Kraton soon.
Just had a look at that, this one yes: https://www.modelsport.co.uk/futaba...s-dry-and-r304sb-combo/rc-car-products/404492

Surprised at the price as isn't as expensive as I thought it might be. Is it easy to set up?

Definitely something I will be looking at in the future as range of control is very important. (y)

Futaba has always had nice stuff, but the price of the receivers is almost half the price of the radio. But then again, it can always be the old, you get what you pay for thing.:)

Surprised at the price as isn't as expensive as I thought it might be. Is it easy to set up?

Definitely something I will be looking at in the future as range of control is very important. (y)

Compared to the higher end models it just takes longer since you cannot skip to the section you want to adjust. Other than the assigned buttons near the steering. Nicer models have graphics where this one is all numbers or percentages. To be honest it has everything and more that I need. It is also very compact and lightweight which is nice! Hard to beat the quality and reputation at around $100.
You can also get rechargeable packs for it instead of blowing through AAs.
-Liberty

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back