Typhon Speed runner Typhon 6S ~ UK built fast, not bought fast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been building up slowly on my runs because like you I don't want to destroy my buggy having an avoidable crash. Just trying to get a decent feeling for how the buggy handles at speed, how much input the steering needs as well as how to apply my throttle pressure accelerating.

I'm pretty sure now that my missing pin connecting my centre spool and drive cup for the front wheels was the cause of my minor bump as I said earlier in the thread so can't wait to get back out with the car this coming weekend "hopefully".

More than happy for you to share your results in this thread as well as use it for ideas, questions etc or whatever. I think the 3 of us can benefit from each others experiences as we go. (y)
Yes, happy to share, happy to learn.

I've been building up slowly on my runs because like you I don't want to destroy my buggy having an avoidable crash. Just trying to get a decent feeling for how the buggy handles at speed, how much input the steering needs as well as how to apply my throttle pressure accelerating.

I'm pretty sure now that my missing pin connecting my centre spool and drive cup for the front wheels was the cause of my minor bump as I said earlier in the thread so can't wait to get back out with the car this coming weekend "hopefully".

More than happy for you to share your results in this thread as well as use it for ideas, questions etc or whatever. I think the 3 of us can benefit from each others experiences as we go. (y)
yay teamwork!!! I've been enjoying this thread, please continue to keep us updated as you progress. I'm particularly interested in how your esc and batteries hold up using such aggressive gearing

yay teamwork!!! I've been enjoying this thread, please continue to keep us updated as you progress. I'm particularly interested in how your esc and batteries hold up using such aggressive gearing
I'm glad you've been enjoying this thread and I will definitely keep updating as I can. (y)
Might have to wait till next weekend though now as the eBay seller I bought my replacement Arrma drive cup pins from cancelled & refunded me earlier today as they couldn't find them in their shop.

Just found another set in the UK on eBay so bought those but delivery states 26-28th March so I've got my fingers crossed now that it doesn't take that long as I'm itching to run the buggy again.

Great th
Decided to start this thread as I thought that it might be of some interest and maybe even some help to anyone else trying to use the Typhon 6S for speed runs.

Now I'm new to "speed runs" with R/c vehicles so am learning as I go but definitely not new to R/c's having had a whole load of Tamiya buggies, monster trucks as well as Thunder Tiger and other R/c vehicles along the way like quadcopters.

I should also mention that this is my first 1/8th scale vehicle, my first brushless motor powered wheeled vehicle, my first lipo powered wheeled vehicle and also my very first Arrma vehicle. Lot of firsts for me at almost 40 years old.

So this all starts with a 2018 Typhon 6S...
View attachment 31172

After playing around with the shocks a little I took the ride height down,
View attachment 31173

...but this was never going to do for speed runs so more research was needed. ;)

In doing my research using this forum, internet searches and watching as many YouTube speed run videos as I could I slowly started to build up some knowledge. Helped greatly along the way with info from some of the Youtubers like Brandon (Innovation RC), Philip Jolley, and Wiggan RC to name a few.

I also started talking with some great members on here especially @Dutch213 who like me is heading down the speed runs route with his Typhon 6S.
His thread here: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/arrma-typhon-journey-to-speed-build-thread.9903/

I quickly learnt that GRP tyres are the way to go for speed runs so I ordered a set of those as soon as I spotted some for sale on eBay UK. Oh and that's another thing as I'm based in Great Britain AKA the United Kingdom (UK) some parts are an absolute ball ache to find or have to be ordered from the USA.
Seems, as usual, all the best stuff is in the United States. :cautious::LOL:

Even the GRP tyres I wanted weren't available in my first choice colour so I settled for some, ...errh, ...shall we say, more "vivid" colour rims. ("S3" compound FYI)View attachment 31177

The only downside as you can tell from the picture above is that straight away from swapping to the GRP's rims I have lost some rolling radius, ...so acceleration is up but top end is down.

Still looks pretty good though I think.
View attachment 31178

More to come and thanks for reading. (y)
Gread thread GM, he have a lot of info for set up the car and the tire :)

Thanks @samintrepid .
Still waiting on my pins before I can get it up and running again. Feel like I'm wishing my life away just wanting the days to pass so I can get the parts I need to go for a speed run with the Typhon. :D

Hopefully the thread will be useful for others interested in doing the same.

Put a Max 6 in my new typhon, with a Castle cap pack. 2 yeah fans. Running the HP spool 29/34 combo. Stock motor. Wiring all tided up, GRP wheels and tires. All ready for a speed run, maybe tomorrow. Been leaving burn out patches on my kitchen floor. (I'm not married) Ha!:)
That sounds great and it should be properly quick now. :cool:

Look forward to seeing how you get on. Dutch213 has more or less completed his Typhon now BTW, ...have a look at his thread if you get a free second as his set up looks awesome.

OK, did a couple of passes out in front of my home, and all at once, it started trying to swap ends on acceleration. Found out the fronts had no drive. On inspection, the drive pin for the spool is gone, but the "O" ring is still in place, just like happened to GMballistic. I know it was in there, as I did a few 4 wheel burn outs on my floor, last night. So, somehow the pin works it's way out past the "O" ring, then the "O" ring pops back in place. NOT GOOD! At a loss at the moment. My first thought is to use a small bolt with a nut, or try to thread one side of the housing, but I do not want to make the hole in the drive cup any larger, as it will probably twist off. Any suggestions? I guess I could try my suggestion of a piece of shirk tubing. Maybe hunt through my drill bits, and find one that has to be pressed through the hole. I dunno ?????:eek:?:rolleyes::unsure::oops:o_O

Oh that's not good @cootertwo . :cautious:

I've got some fuel pipe I was going to try using as well as the O-ring, ...basically I was thinking put the pin in place, small drop of super glue, then put the O-ring on and then slide on the thick fuel pipe over the top. Not sure yet though as I haven't seen if the fuel pipe will even fit.

Definitely going to need to have a think. :unsure:
Maybe use a small cap head bolt through the hole instead with a nylock nut on the other side like you said?!
The only thing about doing that sort of thing is I worry about the balancing of the spool when running. It may actually be so unbalanced that it will damage the bearings.

Have you any ideas all?

I still need to think about this more and look at how it all fits together again but another idea I just had was to use some aluminium tubing to slide over the top after installing the pin/O-ring. Haven't got the part to hand at the moment though so will look at it more after I get the replacement pin later in the week.

@Dutch213 maybe something you should check on yours before you go out to try your rig or at least be aware of.

The big problem, is there isn't much room to work with after you slide the drive cup with bearing in far enough to get the pin in. I just came in from my second test run, and it held up. I found a drill bit, the size of the pin, cut it to length with my dremel. Put the stock "O" ring on the hub, all the way down, past the groove. Cut a small piece of shrink tubing, maybe 1/4-3/8" wide, and started it on the hub. Slid it all together, got the pin in. Slid the stock "O" ring into the groove. Then worked the shrink tube over the "O" ring and shrunk it tight. Then worked 2 thicker "O" rings over the drive cup and bearing, and positioned them on top of the shrink tube. It might work for awhile. Not real happy with the slop in the pin, but to correct it would require drilling out the hole in the drive cup a tiny bit, and there ain't much there to begin with. There's too much slop for loc-tite to do anything. If/when this fails, I'll look into a bolt and nut, but that will also require drilling the holes out a tiny bit. But, she sure hauls butt! Ran a fully charged 5200 pack down to 40%. Motor temp was 180 at wire end, ESC was 140. I did a lot of running around, spinning the tires, just playing, so when I do my speed run, it will be only 2 or 3, then a cool down. My GRP's were almost too hot to touch, and almost gooey! But a real hoot!:):):):):)

Well @cootertwo when I get an idea in my head I just have to run with it so after suggesting a aluminium collar arrangement I just went out to my garage to see what I had laying around in my scrap pile.

I found the only bit of tubing I had which would possible work was an old aluminium LED torch battery tube so I started measuring that out...
30 Fixing spool pin issue.JPG

My Dremel made quick work of cutting through it, ...It's not pretty but I tidied it up with a file afterwards...
31.JPG

...fits perfectly. Little bit of wiggle room but I'm still planning on using the O-ring as well so that should take up the slack underneath.
32.JPG

Checked how it will go together and I can't see any problems.
33.JPG

34.JPG

Pretty pleased with that as I think that should solve that issue (lightweight too being aluminium). Feel free to copy and I hope it helps. (y)

Thanks and I hope so.

Just got the eBay "your parts have been dispatched" email so fingers crossed I'll get them before the weekend & can get this thing put back together again. ;)
You speed runner guys are like?

I am very tempted to pick up a Typhon to see what speed I can hit with it.

I see a lot of things I would do that you guys are overlooking... ;)

Any reason the Typhon is rated 60mph and the Talion 70? What am I missing?....same drivetrain, no?

I am very tempted to pick up a Typhon to see what speed I can hit with it.

I see a lot of things I would do that you guys are overlooking... ;)

Any reason the Typhon is rated 60mph and the Talion 70? What am I missing?....same drivetrain, no?

taller tire..... more aerodynamic..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back