Typhon Speed runner Typhon 6S ~ UK built fast, not bought fast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put a Max 6 in my new typhon, with a Castle cap pack. 2 yeah fans. Running the HP spool 29/34 combo. Stock motor. Wiring all tided up, GRP wheels and tires. All ready for a speed run, maybe tomorrow. Been leaving burn out patches on my kitchen floor. (I'm not married) Ha!:)
It well modified my friend, you will it 100mph easily with that :)

I've been looking at my suspension set up for a few weeks now deciding what to try and doing research gaining knowledge from what others have done before me (thanks to @Mr.Duke for some of the spring info/help).

Although happy with my ride height I felt the suspension was too soft overall and the damping of the shocks wasn't anywhere near good enough.

Firstly so you can see where I started the stock V3 Typhon shock fluid is 550CST (around 43wt) and the spring length/rates are:
Front = 70mm spring rate of 4.23 lb/in (75.5gf/mm).
Rear = 84mm spring rate of 3.17 lb/in (56.6gf/mm).

I decided to almost double my shock weight and have gone with 1000 CST (80wt) silicone oil in my shocks now. As well as that I have changed my springs to "Hot Racing: Nero black/soft" springs (part number NRO6509).
The springs are 65mm (free length) with a spring rate of 12.65lb/in (226gf/mm) so tripple the rate of the standard fronts.

39.JPG

After draining my old shock oil, cleaning and adding the new fluid I fitted my new shock springs readjusting the suspension height. I decided to try raking the suspension to have the rear end slightly higher after a suggestion from @LibertyMKiii .

42.JPG

40.JPG

41.JPG

I'm really happy with how it's set up now but only testing on the road will show whether or not this is a change for better or worse. ;)

Last edited:
I've been looking at my suspension set up for a few weeks now deciding what to try and doing research gaining knowledge from what others have done before me.

Although happy with my ride height I felt the suspension was too soft overall and the damping of the shocks wasn't anywhere near good enough.

Firstly so you can see where I started the stock V3 Typhon shock fluid is 550CST (around 43wt) and the spring length/rates are:
Front = 70mm spring rate of 4.23 lb/in (75.5gf/mm).
Rear = 84mm spring rate of 3.17 lb/in (56.6gf/mm).

I decided to almost double my shock weight and have gone with 1000 CST (80wt) silicone oil in my shocks now. As well as that I have changed my springs to "Hot Racing: Nero black/soft" springs (part number NRO6509).
The springs are 65mm (free length) with a spring rate of 12.65lb/in (226gf/mm) so tripple the rate of the standard fronts.

After draining my old shock oil, cleaning and adding the new fluid I fitted my new shock springs readjusting the suspension height. I decided to try raking the suspension to have the rear end slightly higher after a suggestion from @LibertyMKiii .

I'm really happy with how it's set up now but only testing on the road will show whether or not this is a change for better or worse. ;)
Looking sharp @GMballistic! Stance looks good. Hope the new rates applied to the shocks give you more of what you're looking for.

Hope the new rates applied to the shocks give you more of what you're looking for.
Hope so too.
It feels great when I press down on the shock towers, ...nice and firm & comes back into position smoothly. Definitely needs a road test though to be sure.

Looks cool though I think. The standard springs look so thin and cheap in comparison to the Hot Racing springs which have really thick coils coated black. :cool:

Thanks @Evol_13 . Will post how it goes after getting a few runs under my belt. (y)

As my Typhon was bought with the sole purpose of being made into a speed runner I knew that I'd need to get some different pinion gears sorted as well as spur gears, ...I also learnt that most speed runners use a spool instead of a centre diff or use a diff locker.

I opted to buy a Hot Racing spool in the end together with a Hot Racing 38T spur gear both of which I had to order from the US (Thanks "Power Hobby RC") as they weren't available anywhere in the UK.

I had to wait for the spool and spur gear to get to me so in the mean time I decided to run the Typhon for some practice runs with the included Arrma 16T pinion gear for an alleged 60+mph.

But then this happened...View attachment 31331

I decided to jump straight to the maximum/largest pinion gear it is possible to run with the standard spur gear which is a 23T gving it a 23T/50T set up.

When I started running it like that I was so impressed with the speed it was capable of and I ran it like that for a short while to get used to the way the car handled at speed as well as to try to iron out any problems with my ride height/suspension height etc. So far so good. (y)
How fast did it go with this pinion/spur combo?

How fast did it go with this pinion/spur combo?
With the 23T/50T set up?

I had a recorded 65mph+ on my GPS but that's more down to the road I was running on, ...specifically the amount of space and being new to speed runs at the time.
If I had to guess I'm sure that gearing with standard motor/ESC combo and a good 6S battery on the right road should surpass 75-80mph flat out. That's just a guess though.

Have a look on YouTube as a few people running 22T-23T/50T with the Typhon: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=typhon+speed+run+23T/50T

Hope that helps. (y)

Ran the Typhon today at a few different locations trying to gauge firstly how well the new suspension and wing set up worked but also to try to find a more suitable location for speed runs locally.

Firstly I am very happy with the suspension now as it is. I ran it at two previous locations where uneven surfaces have caused it to be unstable as well as ground out at speed but there was none of that today. It is solid as a rock (not literally ~ there is some give) now under acceleration.

The downside to today was that I still didn't find anywhere better to run it so I need to keep looking.
Disappointed with the other locations I tried at the end of the afternoon I ended up going back to my old speed run location and easily beat my old PB (79mph) even with LVC cutting in at the end so that was promising at least.

Something else to show you all @Dutch213 @phildogg @ninadada @2015GTRBE @joostin420 @BashingBrian ...

It may be a sin, I'm sorry, but I bought a "Traxxas 5446" black rear wing earlier this week. o_O
I had a design shape in mind for my replacement wing and I did consider buying carbon fibre or aluminium sheet to make it but after trawling through R/c sites, Google images and more I finally found a ready made 1/8th scale wing that would fit the bill with some modifications.

First thing I did was to carefully measure 3 times and drill the holes correctly in the right position to mount it to my buggy bearing in mind that I wanted it to still aid in holding my GPS nicely in position.
View attachment 34252

The wing is just over 1mm wider than the stock Typhon wing (203.2mm compared with 202mm) and has different mounting holes but is still a great fit for the Typhon.

Once I had trial fitted it I removed it and using my Dremel began cutting out the parts I didn't want. I then tidied it up with a scalpel to try and make it look as clean cut as possible.

View attachment 34253

View attachment 34254

View attachment 34255

It has also netted me a small weight saving.
The stock Typhon rear wing weighed in at 62.86 grams and the newly modified rear wing weighed in at 33.82 grams so that's a bonus.

Thoughts welcomed on the new look. ;)
Great job! Looks factory! By the looks of it, the drag should be significantly lower.

Yes it is not the best.
Will be having a good look at them all before I go out with it again.

Overall I'm happy with the GRP's but I just think the rims need to be slightly bigger for the Typhon and definitely cheaper. ;)
Mine rub too. A quarter or half inch diameter increase would be perfect.

Here's a run I did last week. Only got to 95 mph, but seemed and sounded like the power was cutting out half way through each run. I had the temp setting on the Max6 set to the lowest temp, and think it was cutting to half power. I have since raised the temp cut out setting, but have not ran since.

Great job! Looks factory! By the looks of it, the drag should be significantly lower.
Thanks I'm really pleased with how it worked out, ...it looks great and as you say hopefully the drag is much lower now.

Mine rub too. A quarter or half inch diameter increase would be perfect.
Seems to be a common thing.

I checked the "roundness" of mine as best I could before my last run and also used a hairdryer to heat them up hoping that if they had gone out of shape slightly this would help bring them back into shape.

Latest run with new HR spool. 23T/34T gearing.
Nice runs there. :cool: (y)
I commented on your YouTube channel about the way the back end broke loose, ...basically was exactly like the way mine went when I had my crash.

Here's a run I did last week. Only got to 95 mph, but seemed and sounded like the power was cutting out half way through each run. I had the temp setting on the Max6 set to the lowest temp, and think it was cutting to half power. I have since raised the temp cut out setting, but have not ran since.
"Only" :LOL:
Come on 95mph is bl**dy quick! Well done.

Look forward to seeing more.

With the gearing I have, it should be well above 100 mph. After I wring out this stock motor, I have a couple of TP Power monsters to try out! Love the sound when the thing passes by like a rocket ship! I did trim the stock rear wing down a bit, to prevent it from flipping.

With the gearing I have, it should be well above 100 mph. After I wring out this stock motor, I have a couple of TP Power monsters to try out! Love the sound when the thing passes by like a rocket ship! I did trim the stock rear wing down a bit, to prevent it from flipping.
Hey you and me both. :p
Mine should be over the 100mph mark as well with the gearing I'm running but it's not as easy as it looks to keep that throttle trigger pulled long enough for the motor to wind up properly especially where I'm running it currently (excuses I know, ha ha).

One mistake could be game over though needing more than just a few parts to get it up and running again so I'm being maybe a bit too cautious at times. Even phildogg commented about my last run on video that there was still room to use on that road.

I'm going to try turning my punch setting up one maybe for next time and definitely upping the brake strength to max.

We'll get there eventually I'm sure.

Only 95 mph eh. You speed runners are hard to please. That's 760 mph for a 1:1. I feel like the 45 to 50 mph I achieve normally with my Noto, is a hair away from total destruction. If I was going double that, with any rc, I imagine I would end up with a bunch of plastic and metal splinters. I'll just keep watching the "speed crew" videos, and know that it's all just a distant dream. Keep it up gents!

Hey you and me both. :p
Mine should be over the 100mph mark as well with the gearing I'm running but it's not as easy as it looks to keep that throttle trigger pulled long enough for the motor to wind up properly especially where I'm running it currently (excuses I know, ha ha).

One mistake could be game over though needing more than just a few parts to get it up and running again so I'm being maybe a bit too cautious at times. Even phildogg commented about my last run on video that there was still room to use on that road.

I'm going to try turning my punch setting up one maybe for next time and definitely upping the brake strength to max.

We'll get there eventually I'm sure.
"My rc should hit 100 mph". You guys are insane. I love it! Maybe you could add little rc rockets to the top. To infinity and beyond!

"My rc should hit 100 mph". You guys are insane. I love it! Maybe you could add little rc rockets to the top. To infinity and beyond!
I used to run a few Estes rockets as well as some home built ones so that's possible!. :unsure: :D

The buzz when the buggy goes past at such speed is fantastic, ...no other R/c that I've had has given me such an adrenalin dump.

As my Typhon was bought with the sole purpose of being made into a speed runner I knew that I'd need to get some different pinion gears sorted as well as spur gears, ...I also learnt that most speed runners use a spool instead of a centre diff or use a diff locker.

I opted to buy a Hot Racing spool in the end together with a Hot Racing 38T spur gear both of which I had to order from the US (Thanks "Power Hobby RC") as they weren't available anywhere in the UK.

I had to wait for the spool and spur gear to get to me so in the mean time I decided to run the Typhon for some practice runs with the included Arrma 16T pinion gear for an alleged 60+mph.

But then this happened...View attachment 31331

I decided to jump straight to the maximum/largest pinion gear it is possible to run with the standard spur gear which is a 23T gving it a 23T/50T set up.

When I started running it like that I was so impressed with the speed it was capable of and I ran it like that for a short while to get used to the way the car handled at speed as well as to try to iron out any problems with my ride height/suspension height etc. So far so good. (y)
So I'm sure you have been using the hot racing spool for a bit now. How do you like it? Some people say it's hard to get the bearings to slide in and the o-rings have a tendency to come off and so the pins come out. Any tips for keeping the o-rings on? I just ordered one with a 34t spur for my typhon. Just don't know what size pinion to start with. Maybe a 23t. There's a minimum pinion size needed for the 34t spur, I just don't know what it is.

Long time speed runner here checking in (new to the forum)
Let me know if you have any questions I'd be more than happy to answer questions.
I saw that PhillDog chimed in already, he has a Typhon running in the 14x mph range, his advice is very solid.

Welcome to the forum. Question about cap packs: I understand they serve to reduce voltage sag or ripple under load. Does this translate into any measurable top speed gains or do cap packs serve more to protect the electronics?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back