Kraton Speedy's probably OCD Kraton Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Copper Head 2s that came with the Kraton are almost worn out. I'm actually surprised how long they've lasted though, probably 35 packs and mostly on pavement. I didn't vent them, but I can tell the internal foam is starting to get soft from getting wet so I figured I'd give it a go. Found some info from Rich Duperbash on using a brass rod which made perfect sense to me so I practiced on the worn out Copper Heads and then moved on to the new DBoots BF. Interestingly one of the 6S BF wheels didn't have vents in the back side, the other three did. The LP Backflips didn't have wheel vents but were already vented in the tire, bonus.

I will be venting all tires going forward. When I drilled the holes in the Copper Heads water came out and it had been in there a while.

After that, I was bored, it was snowing and nasty out, so I took up some arts and crafts on the wheels.

20220116_173436.jpg

Not sure what 10 year old they had glue the LP Backflips to the wheels, but good lawd teach that child to color in the lines!
20220117_174900.jpg

Pinion replaced. Tekno 12t, I had to ask the forum members if this looked right since it's quite a bit different from the factory Arrma pinion, no Safe-D feature and shorter. Confirmed this is correct, and had a suggestion to flip the pinion around so the grub screw is facing forward which isn't a bad idea for future work. If I remove this pinion, I'll flip it when I re-install.

I was generous with blue TL on the grub screw :)

tekno_12t_pinion.jpg

Pinion replaced. Tekno 12t, I had to ask the forum members if this looked right since it's quite a bit different from the factory Arrma pinion, no Safe-D feature and shorter. Confirmed this is correct, and had a suggestion to flip the pinion around so the grub screw is facing forward which isn't a bad idea for future work. If I remove this pinion, I'll flip it when I re-install.

I was generous with blue TL on the grub screw :)

View attachment 193883
What are all the grinding aluminum flakes from? did you had to mod the holder?

I've had the Kraton right at 3 months and have learned a TON. I put together the top 10 things I've done that have seemed to help a lot, and 8 of them came from suggestions on this site, so THANKS. First post updated.

I've gotten a lot of help from this forum so hopefully this info helps someone down the road...

Maybe I just got lucky but my stock Spektrum S652 servo on my BLX Kraton lasted quite a long time. However, it did finally die last week. While running the truck I had it stopped with wheels turned set the Tx down for a minute heard the ESC reboot and when I went to drive no more steering. No noise from the servo no nothing. I'm not sure if having the wheels on the truck turned while the Tx wasn't exacerbated the problem, but I had been getting some intermittent loss of steering (brief) and the servo had been noisy. It lasted 35 packs and 3 months of running the truck about twice a week.

I got the DS3235 servo that lots of folks recommend as the replacement: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SBYZ4G5

Measured and it was the same dimensions as the stock servo so I expected it to drop right in. The problem is that the stock servo has a 23T horn and the replacement is 25T. I'd argue 25 is better, but that means the stock horn won't fit. The horn that comes with the DS3235 mounts differently which causes a gap between the steering arm and the bellcrank.

There are a couple of fixes:

1. Use some cheap hardware to make a spacer. You'll need a 3mm x 25mm bolt, 1/4" aluminum spacer, and 2 x 3mm washers. This cost about $3US.
2. Buy an offset 25T servo horn: https://www.amazon.com/Hobbypark-Aluminum-Clamping-Futaba-2-Pack/dp/B07Z1ZV1L5 (came in a pack of 2)
3. Buy an Arrma 25T servo horn: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NE0FX8W (supposed to be 25T but I think fit may be tight above the servo)

I started off with the spacer, but decided to try the offset horn as well. Both worked equally well but the offset horn was cheap at 2 for $10US so figured why not. I did use two 3mm washers with the new 25T horn on the bellcrank to get the steering arm as close to horizontal as possible.

I had already added two lock rings to my servo saver to tighten it up, and replaced the bushings with bearings in the steering. I do not notice any real difference in the upgraded servo over the stock one in terms of steering performance.

I also replaced the stock 3mm x 16mm servo mount screws with 3mm x 25mm screws to firm up the servo mount and this worked great.

Don't forget to re-center the steering and reset the steering end points on the new servo. My stock S652 servo was also reversed so I had to set the Tx to reverse steering. The DS3235 is not.

20220125_171502.jpg

20220128_192529.jpg

20220129_141342.jpg

20220129_151546.jpg

Well, my make shift 40mm x 20mm fan that was a part I pulled out of a server power supply didn't last long for some reason. It was old so maybe it was just worn out.

I put a replacement on that works great, but man it's loud. The old one was whisper quiet.

Upgraded from aluminum screen door repair patches to some stainless steel mesh and it works much better.

This is the mesh and it came with several sheets: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077M93J18

40mm_fan.jpg

Started the lighting project on the Notorious body. I wanted head lights, tail lights, and some amber running lights. The amber lights were tricky as I mentioned before but @3d-rc.myshopify.com came through BIG TIME and we worked together on a custom design that are perfect. Stellar customer service as well.

I hope to finish it all up by the end of the week. Bonus points to anyone who can identify where the inspiration for this came from :)

20220107_155600.jpg

20220107_155711.jpg

3d_print_running_lamp.jpg

Started the lighting project on the Notorious body. I wanted head lights, tail lights, and some amber running lights. The amber lights were tricky as I mentioned before but @3d-rc.myshopify.com came through BIG TIME and we worked together on a custom design that are perfect. Stellar customer service as well.

I hope to finish it all up by the end of the week. Bonus points to anyone who can identify where the inspiration for this came from :)

View attachment 198289

View attachment 198290

View attachment 198291
I have seen them working and man they look scale and great. Can’t wait to see the finish product.

All wrapped up and turned out better than I expected. I think I got durability covered as they've held up great to 5-6 bashing sessions so far. I don't send it to the moon, but plenty of jumping stuff. Sure makes a big difference seeing the vehicle at dusk/dark.

20220123_200548.jpg

IMG_0208.JPG

IMG_0356.JPG

IMG_0362.JPG

I emailed HH and about the burned up servo. They asked for proof of purchase and a picture of the servo. Sent me a replacement in the mail so at least now I have a spare. They didn't ask for the original back so I decided to take it a part to see what I could see.

Looks decently well made and everything sealed up, but you can see they obviously have some component in there that burns out in a spectacular way.

20220219_172610.jpg

20220219_180429.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back