Spektrum 160 ESC and 780 Kv Motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sendit

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Mojave
Hello all,

I recently upgraded my movjave to the Spektrum 160 ESC, Spektrum 780kv motor, and spektrum smart 8s batteries. I have tried a 27T, and 23T pinion but they both seem slower than stock... Any ideas ?

BTW its all mounted nicely now.

Attachments

• IMG_7431.jpeg
    IMG_7431.jpeg
    369.2 KB · Views: 321
Hello all,

I recently upgraded my movjave to the Spektrum 160 ESC, Spektrum 780kv motor, and spektrum smart 8s batteries. I have tried a 27T, and 23T pinion but they both seem slower than stock... Any ideas ?

BTW its all mounted nicely now.
That motor needs more than 8S to be fast. Or a way bigger pinion. Like in the 40s.

That motor needs more than 8S to be fast. Or a way bigger pinion. Like in the 40s.
Should the torque be insane? It won't even pull the front wheels off the ground... My stock Xmaxx is way faster!

It all looks very nice and weights the truck down to have great turning, but IDK about the performance. I bet it is user error and some programming issue... I need to find a way to reset the esc and make this better becuase this is not what I was expecting for such an expensive upgrade. :)

The stock motor is 1250kv and is a dog with gearing in the 20’s so going down in kv and not gearing up a lot is going to be slow.

Well apparently this is what I get for purchasing on impulse before doing more research. I was under the impression that I was going to get more torque out of the lower kv motor. I don't care about top speed much, I like the 0-50 range with lots of torque to drive the truck. I want to make the mojave act like the Xmaxx. It pulls its weight through everything up here in Big bear, Ca. We have lots of rough terrain.

So the ESC have 6.5 mm bullet connectors, so would this 1250 kv motor be a better choice?
https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...otors/firma-1250kv-brushless-motor-spmxsm1200

Maybe the 780 kv can go in the Xmaxx later or sell it...

You can use the 780kv but you need a much bigger pinion. Something in the mid 40’s. Idk what mount you have. Might need a bigger motor mount.

You can use the 780kv but you need a much bigger pinion. Something in the mid 40’s. Idk what mount you have. Might need a bigger motor mount.
The problem is finding a 8 mm shaft. I ordered 3 from eBay (23,25,27t), but didn’t know I needed a pinion so large. Bummer!!!
I have the practical prototype solutions motor mount, love it! I think it will take a pinion that large

Attachments

• 635CC5DC-FBC3-4734-B0FE-3A869B7DB50B.jpeg
    635CC5DC-FBC3-4734-B0FE-3A869B7DB50B.jpeg
    370.4 KB · Views: 203
The problem is finding a 8 mm shaft. I ordered 3 from eBay (23,25,27t), but didn’t know I needed a pinion so large. Bummer!!!
I have the practical prototype solutions motor mount, love it! I think it will take a pinion that large
Awesome mount! Yeah you just need to find a big ass pizza sized pinion and it will wake up. ?

So what's the consensus. Get a different motor, or change the pinion. Reason I am asking is because idk what would be the better way to go. Will the current motor and ESC heat up/wear with such a large pinion?

I believe you can use a smaller spur too..
Yeah I believe they make a 46T spur for the Infraction if you want to stay with the CD or you can always go with the Limitless spool.

I believe you can use a smaller spur too..
Problem is it is attached to the center diff. I have not seen replacements that bolt right into the center diff cup, but that doesn't mean they don't exist! :)
Anyone?

So what's the consensus. Get a different motor, or change the pinion. Reason I am asking is because idk what would be the better way to go. Will the current motor and ESC heat up/wear with such a large pinion?
I would try a gear before spending another $200 on a motor ??‍♂️

I would try a gear before spending another $200 on a motor ??‍♂️
Yeah this is probably what I will do. I already dumped so much into this truck!
Looks nice, runs like self-quarantining (Sh#tty!) !
Yeah I believe they make a 46T spur for the Infraction if you want to stay with the CD or you can always go with the Limitless spool.
Any information on this limitless spool? Direct fit or mods needed?
Also will the infraction spool fit on my stock center diff?

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Gears ordered (42, 40, 38). The PPS mount can take up to 42 I think. I will update when gears are here, incase anyone else is interested. Thanks again!

Gears ordered (42, 40, 38). The PPS mount can take up to 42 I think. I will update when gears are here, incase anyone else is interested. Thanks again!
Just something you might not understand.. Kv = RPM per Volt. Higher torque comes from the larger pinion (technically the lower gear ratio between the pinion and spur gears) you would need to get the same vehicle speed with a lower Kv motor.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back