Spektrum Dx3 vs Futaba Tx?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I’m bucking the paradigm here, but I want a dedicated radio for each rig. So multiple model linking is not at the top of my priorities, though most new radios have the ability to do so.
I came up with the opposite conclusion. OP stated that range and possibly tele were important. All other factors are pretty much satisfied with every radio with the exception of replacing receivers. OP didn't state what cars he uses them for, other electronics, or if cost was an issue. With that being said, spektrum range is generally considered to be far worse than any other radio. Bigsquid had a radio shootout a few years ago and futaba range was 1200 feet and spektrum a paltry 600 feet (and I can verify that I've gotten 1200+ feet without exceeding the limits of my radio, stock). Although you state range is increased with increased voltage I actually wonder if that's true. If the OP is using castle ESC's the only option for telemetry is futaba which can give real time/max/min values for ripple, BEC voltage, battery voltage, rpm and a couple of other parameters.

Since the OP listed range in the top 3 of his features that he's looking for I'd look at the new radiolink or futaba.
Yeah, in the BigSquid test he had to have a friend down range because with the RadioLink he lost sight of the car hundreds of feet before it went out of range. Crazy, man.

I came up with the opposite conclusion. OP stated that range and possibly tele were important. All other factors are pretty much satisfied with every radio with the exception of replacing receivers. OP didn't state what cars he uses them for, other electronics, or if cost was an issue. With that being said, spektrum range is generally considered to be far worse than any other radio. Bigsquid had a radio shootout a few years ago and futaba range was 1200 feet and spektrum a paltry 600 feet (and I can verify that I've gotten 1200+ feet without exceeding the limits of my radio, stock). Although you state range is increased with increased voltage I actually wonder if that's true. If the OP is using castle ESC's the only option for telemetry is futaba which can give real time/max/min values for ripple, BEC voltage, battery voltage, rpm and a couple of other parameters.

Since the OP listed range in the top 3 of his features that he's looking for I'd look at the new radiolink or futaba.
I use rechargeable nickel zinc AA's, which upped the voltage to 7.2 on my dx5c and increased its range considerably.

Last edited:
Sounds like the 4PM is the nicer radio for sure. Although not sure I would get the full benefit of all the features - lol.

I’m primarily a basher. Although, I’m sure I might grow into it. Honestly, too much “tweak-ability” normally results in my royally hosing things up - lol.

One of the best things I have ever purchased for RC has been a transmitter with multiple model memory and other capabilities.
Just going to the entry-level offerings from spektrum like the dx6e for air and dx5c for surface has given me so much more control over the models I have. Regardless of which brand you ultimately decide on, here are some things to consider.

1. Multiple model selection. Do you have a growing collection of 2 or 3+ models, and do you plan to continue adding to the collection? Choose a transmitter that will be capable of storing enough models in memory to suit your needs. The dx3 transmitter is a feature rich rtr transmitter, but you'll need to go through the binding process each time you want to run a different rig. If you only plan to have and run 1 model, this talking point is moot, and the dx3 is a great option.

2. Range. This one's self-explanatory. Pick one with a range to suit your operating conditions. Close area bashing doesn't need much for range, but speedrunning needs range to spare. Keep in mind that voltage = signal output strength = range. Some transmitters limit you to AA batteries, while others have rechargeable packs. Keep in mind that some transmitters are easier to modify for increased range than others. Want outstanding range out of the box? Radiolink and Kevin Talbot's pick of the litter DumboRC is where it's at. I can't attest to them personally, but many people swear by them. Futaba should be decent if my old T3PRKA is any indication. As for Spektrum, they work amazing for short range, while longer ranges tend to develop a bit of delay, but increased voltage generally fixes this.

3. Features. This is where a digital transmitter with multi model memory really starts to shine. To put it simply, the more control your transmitter allows you to have over your model, the better. Everything from rates, trim, channel mixing, and my personal favorite feature exponential should all be considered when making your choice.

Based on this I'd recommend the dx5c or dx5 rugged.
This helped thank you for I'm currently looking for a radio with above average range.;)

Radiolink R6GS V3. Ditch the AA battery tray, this can run on up to a 4s LiPo, best range in the industry right out of the box without adding a booster, and control/response times are getting better with each generation. Really tough to argue with it for the price.
https://www.amazon.com/Radiolink-Transmitter-Receiver-Crawler-Drifting/dp/B07DPNNTWT/ref=sr_1_1?crid=DXN6WNMCZFHM&keywords=Radiolink+r6&qid=1681210822&sprefix=radiolink+r6,aps,101&sr=8-1&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc
Sounds great thanks Dan.

Yeah i would ditch the battery tray also.;)

The radio seems to have plenty of features and sounds like a beast for the price.:)

I have every radio under $400. I personally dislike the RC6GS quite a bit, but the range is good and it’s cheap.

If you want to go that route, I think moving up to the RC8X is well worth it.

I have every radio under $400. I personally dislike the RC6GS quite a bit, but the range is good and it’s cheap.

Yes, they feel cheap but perform very well. But if you’re willing to drop that kind of scratch on an RC8, then you’re well into Futaba territory so that just doesn’t make much sense to me. For under $100.00 an R6 provides the best non-boosted range available and you still have enough for a spare receiver. If you can expand your budget to hundreds more, a Radiolink kind of stops making sense for me. Just my .02

It looks good but I'm not fussed with how it feels or looks, just has to perform well.
I would go ahead and just buy a Futaba for that kind of paperwork.;)
Yes, they feel cheap but perform very well. But if you’re willing to drop that kind of scratch on an RC8, then you’re well into Futaba territory so that just doesn’t make much sense to me. For under $100.00 an R6 provides the best non-boosted range available and you still have enough for a spare receiver. If you can expand your budget to hundreds more, a Radiolink kind of stops making sense for me. Just my .02
This-⬆️
Exactly it's Futaba territory alright, and the Radiolink seems to have plenty of channels and features.
The range on the RC6 is really good, but i noticed Radiolink offer other type's Rx's with lot's more range.
I'm happy Dan mentioned them because i never knew of them before, and because my car will be built mostly for FPV radiolink are actually building Rx's for FPV use so they need much more range. Very impressed with Radiolinks website also, i had no idea they were so into aviation and FPV.
The R8EF has 2km range which will be perfect.;)
There's also the R8XM which has 4km range.

Screenshot from 2023-04-15 08-40-24.png

Screenshot from 2023-04-15 08-41-14.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back