Spektrum Dx3 vs Futaba Tx?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
  2. Typhon TLR
I’ve been thinking of upgrading my Tx and leaning toward the Dx3. I’ve only had Spektrum’s (current RTR’s and an old school DX5 that’s not compatible w/current receivers)

I read good things about Futaba’s as well.

I’m inclined to go Spektrum.

Any thoughts on good, bad, or - for the love of god man, don’t do it - lol?

Thanks

Personally, I think the DX3 is kinda crap. If I was to get a Spektrum radio, I'd get a DX5 as it just has way more in terms of adjustability, options, etc. I run a Futaba 7PXR myself but, to be fair, that's in a totally different price segment. I do really like its programmability and how it drives the car. The 4PM would be more in line with the DX5 in terms of price, features, etc. I haven't used a DX5 so I can't say objectively. Might be worth going to a hobby shop to see how they feel in the hand if that's a possibility.

My experiences are with the 4PM and a variety of the DX5 transmitters. The Futaba may be better in terms of range but quite frankly the UI is absolutely horrible. Might be much better on their premium radios. With the sheer number of Receivers/vehicles I have, I’m kind of locked into the Spektrum ecosystem. For bashing it has worked for me. I haven’t had range issues and it has enough flexibility and control to do what I need.

One other detractor is if you like AVC and tuning it, the DX5 series do not have a knob (the DX5 Pro has one but is not assignable to AVC gain) and you will have to adjust gain with the trim tabs.

I don’t know much about the spectrum stuff, other than rtr radios and they were all junk with huge delays. I use a 4pm Futaba for all my cars, and works great. Tons of tuning, 40 cars you can register to it, no lag. I run it for bashers, speed, and crawlers (with independent 4ws). For what it’s worth.

Last edited:
My experiences are with the 4PM and a variety of the DX5 transmitters. The Futaba may be better in terms of range but quite frankly the UI is absolutely horrible. Might be much better on their premium radios. With the sheer number of Receivers/vehicles I have, I’m kind of locked into the Spektrum ecosystem. For bashing it has worked for me. I haven’t had range issues and it has enough flexibility and control to do what I need.

One other detractor is if you like AVC and tuning it, the DX5 series do not have a knob (the DX5 Pro has one but is not assignable to AVC gain) and you will have to adjust gain with the trim tabs.
I have a 4PV which, I think, is fairly similar to the 4PM in terms of UI and I definitely much prefer the 7PXR...but that's almost three times the cost. I don't find the DX5 UI to be much of an improvement, at least from what I've seen. It looks a little clumsy. But, like said, I've never used it IRL so that perception isn't set in stone.

Yeah it looks real similar, all the “4” model futabas are real close if I’m not mistaken. And for the price I don’t see a reason to “upgrade”. I think the dx5 is even more expensive than my 4pm last I checked.

Id steer clear of the dx3.. but you can cop a dx5 if you got a bottomless wallet!! Jump on my lonely wagon with @Engineer as my co-pilot!! 🐢

20210713_194408_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
at least from what I've seen. It looks a little clumsy.
From what I’ve seen on-line the navigation on the DX5 looks very similar to my old one, which is over 10 years old - lol.
Thanks for all the replies, seems the Futaba gets a bit more love. Like the idea of checking out the LHS to get a feel for both.

I’ve kinda grown accustomed to the Spektrum radio as I still use the old DX5 with older receivers in a couple cars.

The current HH sale kinda started burning a hole in my pocket - lol.

Last edited:
10px user here and I don’t regret the purchase one bit. I had the 3pv, 4pm and eventually settled on the 10px. In fact, I run full futaba electronics in my cars. Literally everything from castle tele, temp sensor, servo, and gyro). Pricey, but worth it to me.

Last edited:
DX5C is a good radio and compatible with your receivers. If you are on a budget the FlySky FX-GT5 ($80) is also very good and receivers are reasonable price with gyro / avc. DX3 is kinda meh.....

I have a DX5C and a 4PM. I haven't actually used the 4PM yet, but it feels a lot better in my hand. I don't think you'd find many people that say Spektrum objectively has better electronics than Futaba. Not that the DX5C is "bad".

I think what you should do is identify which features are most important to you.
Range?
Telemetry?
Feel?
Cost?
UI/touchscreen?
Once you prioritize what you’re looking for I’m willing to bet which radio to get will become obvious.

I think what you should do is identify which features are most important to you.
Range?
Telemetry?
Feel?
Cost?
UI/touchscreen?
Once you prioritize what you’re looking for I’m willing to bet which radio to get will become obvious.
Good advice. I have the means to buy a 10PX and really want to because I grew up with Futaba and they are king of the hill, IMO. But if I sit back and have my rational thought for the day I just can’t pull the trigger. The NB4 does everything I need for now. I’d just be buying the 10px just for the sake of saying I have it, if that makes sense.

Good advice. I have the means to buy a 10PX and really want to because I grew up with Futaba and they are king of the hill, IMO. But if I sit back and have my rational thought for the day I just can’t pull the trigger. The NB4 does everything I need for now. I’d just be buying the 10px just for the sake of saying I have it, if that makes sense.
yep,
value is very subjective. Telemetry and range were important to me so there was really only one choice for me. Radiolink rcx8 might be worth a look. Very similar to 10px in terms of appearance and UI seemed pretty good too? Receivers are reasonably priced so the transition wouldn't be as painful.

All good points and thanks for sharing your experience(s)!

In terms of feature that are important to me (now anyway, that may evolve as I don’t know what I don’t know - lol)
- range
- telemetry (kinda)
- support multiple cars (they all pretty much do this)

Other factors:
1. One Tx to rule them all, I want 1 Tx for all my cars
2. Compatibility (receivers will work with any ESC, servos, etc). No compatibility gremlins, etc
3. Not having to replace all my existing receivers (Spektrum) is a bonus, but not a deal killer.

I have DX5c, nice in the hand good weight but the UI is horrible (its build quality is very plasticy), I also have Futaba 7PXR, heavy in the hand, mega adjustable, triggers, wheel, settings etc my only wish is that the 7PXR was slightly lighter.
Thing is you can't really compare those two as they are in a different class of radio, I also find that I baby my 7PXR and I just throw the Dx5 around like I haven't got a care in the world :ROFLMAO:

I chose Radiolink RC6GS because it has the best range out of the box as anything out there. Receivers are cheap, has gyro and battery telemetry, and the UI isn’t bad at all. Downside is they look and feel kind of cheap, but they perform really well. Also, very cost effective. I don’t believe you could beat it with anything for the price.

One of the best things I have ever purchased for RC has been a transmitter with multiple model memory and other capabilities.
Just going to the entry-level offerings from spektrum like the dx6e for air and dx5c for surface has given me so much more control over the models I have. Regardless of which brand you ultimately decide on, here are some things to consider.

1. Multiple model selection. Do you have a growing collection of 2 or 3+ models, and do you plan to continue adding to the collection? Choose a transmitter that will be capable of storing enough models in memory to suit your needs. The dx3 transmitter is a feature rich rtr transmitter, but you'll need to go through the binding process each time you want to run a different rig. If you only plan to have and run 1 model, this talking point is moot, and the dx3 is a great option.

2. Range. This one's self-explanatory. Pick one with a range to suit your operating conditions. Close area bashing doesn't need much for range, but speedrunning needs range to spare. Keep in mind that voltage = signal output strength = range. Some transmitters limit you to AA batteries, while others have rechargeable packs. Keep in mind that some transmitters are easier to modify for increased range than others. Want outstanding range out of the box? Radiolink and Kevin Talbot's pick of the litter DumboRC is where it's at. I can't attest to them personally, but many people swear by them. Futaba should be decent if my old T3PRKA is any indication. As for Spektrum, they work amazing for short range, while longer ranges tend to develop a bit of delay, but increased voltage generally fixes this.

3. Features. This is where a digital transmitter with multi model memory really starts to shine. To put it simply, the more control your transmitter allows you to have over your model, the better. Everything from rates, trim, channel mixing, and my personal favorite feature exponential should all be considered when making your choice.
All good points and thanks for sharing your experience(s)!

In terms of feature that are important to me (now anyway, that may evolve as I don’t know what I don’t know - lol)
- range
- telemetry (kinda)
- support multiple cars (they all pretty much do this)

Other factors:
1. One Tx to rule them all, I want 1 Tx for all my cars
2. Compatibility (receivers will work with any ESC, servos, etc). No compatibility gremlins, etc
3. Not having to replace all my existing receivers (Spektrum) is a bonus, but not a deal killer.

Based on this I'd recommend the dx5c or dx5 rugged.

One of the best things I have ever purchased for RC has been a transmitter with multiple model memory and other capabilities.
Just going to the entry-level offerings from spektrum like the dx6e for air and dx5c for surface has given me so much more control over the models I have. Regardless of which brand you ultimately decide on, here are some things to consider.

1. Multiple model selection. Do you have a growing collection of 2 or 3+ models, and do you plan to continue adding to the collection? Choose a transmitter that will be capable of storing enough models in memory to suit your needs. The dx3 transmitter is a feature rich rtr transmitter, but you'll need to go through the binding process each time you want to run a different rig. If you only plan to have and run 1 model, this talking point is moot, and the dx3 is a great option.

2. Range. This one's self-explanatory. Pick one with a range to suit your operating conditions. Close area bashing doesn't need much for range, but speedrunning needs range to spare. Keep in mind that voltage = signal output strength = range. Some transmitters limit you to AA batteries, while others have rechargeable packs. Keep in mind that some transmitters are easier to modify for increased range than others. Want outstanding range out of the box? Radiolink and Kevin Talbot's pick of the litter DumboRC is where it's at. I can't attest to them personally, but many people swear by them. Futaba should be decent if my old T3PRKA is any indication. As for Spektrum, they work amazing for short range, while longer ranges tend to develop a bit of delay, but increased voltage generally fixes this.

3. Features. This is where a digital transmitter with multi model memory really starts to shine. To put it simply, the more control your transmitter allows you to have over your model, the better. Everything from rates, trim, channel mixing, and my personal favorite feature exponential should all be considered when making your choice.

Based on this I'd recommend the dx5c or dx5 rugged.
I came up with the opposite conclusion. OP stated that range and possibly tele were important. All other factors are pretty much satisfied with every radio with the exception of replacing receivers. OP didn't state what cars he uses them for, other electronics, or if cost was an issue. With that being said, spektrum range is generally considered to be far worse than any other radio. Bigsquid had a radio shootout a few years ago and futaba range was 1200 feet and spektrum a paltry 600 feet (and I can verify that I've gotten 1200+ feet without exceeding the limits of my radio, stock). Although you state range is increased with increased voltage I actually wonder if that's true. If the OP is using castle ESC's the only option for telemetry is futaba which can give real time/max/min values for ripple, BEC voltage, battery voltage, rpm and a couple of other parameters.

Since the OP listed range in the top 3 of his features that he's looking for I'd look at the new radiolink or futaba.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back