Typhon Street Bashing Tire Setup - Help Me Choose

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Volasko

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
I just got my hands on a V3 Typhon 6s that has been truggified with Kraton hubs. I've been in the process of taking it apart and cleaning it and just getting acquainted with the chassis overall. I came from a 3s Typhon that I got last year and upgraded a ton, but always left me wanting something more out of the components (brutal leaking shocks, plastic drivetrain and connecting parts were the main culprits). Anyways the point of this thread is to get your opinions on a good street bashing tire. I had standard infraction Hoon tires on the 3s and although I liked them, I can't imagine them having enough grip to handle the 6s power and chassis weight. Also I didn't like that I had to do a pinion swap every time I changed from my off road bashing tires (Badlands MX28). The 6s came with the same MX28 Badlands so for my street setup I would like to keep it relatively close in diameter so I could just swap tires without needing a pinion swap. My objective with them is just some standard parking lot bashing fun, I might toss a tall pinion on it to see what +80 mph looks like in person, but I'm not super interested speed runs. I just want a tire that I can beat on and won't burn up too fast or balloon too much with the power and torque of the 6s drivetrain. Price isn't so much an issue as I find spending more in this area always is worth it (I blew apart my stock 3s tires pretty fast). I also hate gluing rubber so something factory ready is a must. So after spending a good amount of time researching options last night I came to 3 options that I would like the forums opinion on:

My personal ranking (edited - Final choice):
Once I realized the overall diameter of the proline was only 1 mm taller than the HOON 53/107 (Felony Rears) yet narrower, the choice became obvious. I'm super glad how it looks, just need to drive it. Bonus comparison shots to the standard HOON wheels on my 3s rig (before I list it). The extra car and tire width is what I think really sets off the overall proportions for me. I can't wait to tear up some parking lot!

Choice: Rear Felony Hoon tires all around in a square setup. The are taller and wider than the standard hoons which I already kind of liked on my 3s. I just might still be too small diameter wise which goes against my not wanting to swap pinions all the time.
https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/ARA550073

1: Proline Belted Avenger tires. I like the profile and the fact they're belted also how they match the diameter of the stock wheels. I don't like how narrow they are and look like they would wear to slicks really fast. Final Edit: Once I realized these were the same diameter by 1mm to the hoons, yet narrower the choice became obvious. Especially since it was the difference between $70 CAD to $49 CAD for a pair.
https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/avenger-hp-s3-soft-street-belted-1-8-buggy-tires-mounted.asp

3: Proline street fighters with 17mm hub adaptors. I heard the swappable hubs can be a weak point, not really sure if that is true. What I like is the tread pattern and wheel width which would look good with my wide truggified setup. I don't like how it isn't belted though, and fear they can't handle speeds above 60mph without destroying themselves. Edit: It looks like these aren't really meant for a true brushless setup and will balloon and come apart at speed.
https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/street-fighter-lp-2.8-street-tires-mounted-raid.asp

Final Look:
63355824670__C97486A4-FEE5-4235-91BD-B3D708F5575A.JPGIMG_3428.jpgIMG_3427.jpg

Last edited:
Grp s5 tires are belted! Amazing for speedruns and bashing!
I've seen lots of mention of these wheel online I just don't like how small they are. They're basically just like my standard hoons which are far too small in diameter vs. the MX28 setup I have already.

I had a friend blow out the street fighters in his stock 2wd rustler so I do not recommend those. I would go with the hoons if I were you.

I had a friend blow out the street fighters in his stock 2wd rustler so I do not recommend those. I would go with the hoons if I were you.
Yeah upon further inspection I found the same sentiment online, not really meant for +40 mph bashing. They've been moved to the bottom of my rankings. Its between the Felony hoons and the Proline Avengers on a dish wheel setup for better durability. I'm leaning towards the proline belted for the taller diameter.

Yeah upon further inspection I found the same sentiment online, not really meant for +40 mph bashing.
Yeah, When my friends street fighters blew out he probably wasn't even going 50. Never tried the Proline Avengers, If you end up getting them could you update and give your opinion on them? They seem pretty nice.

GRP s7 TIRES is all I like to use when bashing with my Infraction v2.
Infraction with the Bdy off.jpg

GRP s7 TIRES is all I like to use when bashing with my Infraction v2.
View attachment 122946
I'm just not a fan of the small diameters, that is why the Felony Rear HOONs in a square setup is higher on my list than anything from GRP. I know that GRP makes good stuff, but they're the size of my old hoons which just look far too small, especially with the widened stance. Are you able to get the 1/5 scale GRP's in a 17mm hub wheel? I didn't seem so online.

If you wanna go 80+ an not total out your car,grp&hoons about all there is.duratrax 2.8 belted banditos 5.4 inches tall but I would trust over 60mph.

If you want larger road tires, go with the 1/5 scale GRPs, but I really would recommend the 1/8 scale for a Typhon.

Here are the 1/5 scale GRP on my Kraton

E093ABBF-62A0-4039-8F4E-54B5FBD52EAD.jpeg

Still virgins??you have way better self-control than me.ida had um out in the snow yesterday.😆😅🤣😂 THEY LOOK GREAT NOT MOVING TOO
It is too cold to get them out there. I will put them thru hell come spring.

Ran 80mph. Talion today, at 26deg. Outside, on hoons, almost uncontrollable, tires wouldn't get heat. 59mph. Bunch of throttle left, Best could get , but was fun
If you want larger road tires, go with the 1/5 scale GRPs, but I really would recommend the 1/8 scale for a Typhon.

Here are the 1/5 scale GRP on my Kraton

View attachment 122956
Did you have to get those square adapters ??, I did, don't like them plus tires took a lot to get balanced.. we have speed runners..
Still virgins??you have way better self-control than me.ida had um out in the snow yesterday.😆😅🤣😂 THEY LOOK GREAT NOT MOVING TOO
Lol still got mold release on them

Last edited:
Ran 80mph. Talion today, at 26deg. Outside, on hoons, almost uncontrollable, tires wouldn't get heat. 59mph. Bunch of throttle left, Best could get , but was fun

Did you have to get those square adapters ??, I did, don't like them plus tires took a lot to get balanced.. we have speed runners..

Lol still got mold release on them
Got my pb 88mph in notorious an I was pretty stupid for doing bout 10 times on new road,on new setup, on 8s,mid-40s outside,slid off road twice an wrecked once.only decent day for a while,just got gnss.i wanted a decent # for baseline at any cost.tryed s2,s4,s5.HORRIBLE TRACTION,TO MUCH AN AZZEND COME AROUND.

I just got my hands on a V3 Typhon 6s that has been truggified with Kraton hubs. I've been in the process of taking it apart and cleaning it and just getting acquainted with the chassis overall. I came from a 3s Typhon that I got last year and upgraded a ton, but always left me wanting something more out of the components (brutal leaking shocks, plastic drivetrain and connecting parts were the main culprits). Anyways the point of this thread is to get your opinions on a good street bashing tire. I had standard infraction Hoon tires on the 3s and although I liked them, I can't imagine them having enough grip to handle the 6s power and chassis weight. Also I didn't like that I had to do a pinion swap every time I changed from my off road bashing tires (Badlands MX28). The 6s came with the same MX28 Badlands so for my street setup I would like to keep it relatively close in diameter so I could just swap tires without needing a pinion swap. My objective with them is just some standard parking lot bashing fun, I might toss a tall pinion on it to see what +80 mph looks like in person, but I'm not super interested speed runs. I just want a tire that I can beat on and won't burn up too fast or balloon too much with the power and torque of the 6s drivetrain. Price isn't so much an issue as I find spending more in this area always is worth it (I blew apart my stock 3s tires pretty fast). I also hate gluing rubber so something factory ready is a must. So after spending a good amount of time researching options last night I came to 3 options that I would like the forums opinion on:

My personal ranking (edited - Final choice):
Once I realized the overall diameter of the proline was only 1 mm taller than the HOON 53/107 (Felony Rears) yet narrower, the choice became obvious. I'm super glad how it looks, just need to drive it. Bonus comparison shots to the standard HOON wheels on my 3s rig (before I list it). The extra car and tire width is what I think really sets off the overall proportions for me. I can't wait to tear up some parking lot!

Choice: Rear Felony Hoon tires all around in a square setup. The are taller and wider than the standard hoons which I already kind of liked on my 3s. I just might still be too small diameter wise which goes against my not wanting to swap pinions all the time.
https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/ARA550073

1: Proline Belted Avenger tires. I like the profile and the fact they're belted also how they match the diameter of the stock wheels. I don't like how narrow they are and look like they would wear to slicks really fast. Final Edit: Once I realized these were the same diameter by 1mm to the hoons, yet narrower the choice became obvious. Especially since it was the difference between $70 CAD to $49 CAD for a pair.
https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/avenger-hp-s3-soft-street-belted-1-8-buggy-tires-mounted.asp

3: Proline street fighters with 17mm hub adaptors. I heard the swappable hubs can be a weak point, not really sure if that is true. What I like is the tread pattern and wheel width which would look good with my wide truggified setup. I don't like how it isn't belted though, and fear they can't handle speeds above 60mph without destroying themselves. Edit: It looks like these aren't really meant for a true brushless setup and will balloon and come apart at speed.
https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/street-fighter-lp-2.8-street-tires-mounted-raid.asp
Final Look:
View attachment 123070View attachment 123071View attachment 123072
Nice cars brother 💪 💪 I like running the GRP S7s or the S5's on my #ARRMARC cars...

Typhon w: GRPs.jpeg
Infraction v2 New GRPS.jpeg

Back