Typhon Stretched Typhon 6s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the end 6s can deliver more speed. But cutting your teeth you may want to start with 4s.

If the ESC theoretically stops making power at 650 amps:

Theoretical Scenario 1 (4s = 14v loaded 3.5v per cell)
14v * 650a = 9,100 watts

Theoretical Scenario 2 (6s = 21v loaded 3.5v per cell))
21v * 650a = 13,650 watts

9,100 watts is good for 140+ speeds if you know what you are doing.
I'll be picking up 2 of these. They should work fine, correct? Also, why do you continue to state the 'cutting teeth'? I know what you mean by it, but I want to understand why it would be happening.

thx.

9u7r.png

I'll be picking up 2 of these. They should work fine, correct? Also, why do you continue to state the 'cutting teeth'? I know what you mean by it, but I want to understand why it would be happening.

thx.

View attachment 292496
I think he‘s referring to “cutting teeth” as your learning curve while moving up to higher speeds, not in terms of worrying about your gears. Just an expression.
Also, you might want to consider these as well. Some records set with them at a bit lower cost.
https://www.smc-racing.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_201&product_id=675
Unless you only have room to run one pack.

thx.

View attachment 292496

As Dan mentioned there is a ton of learning. Learning your road and simply keeping the car on the road is one part, bearing consumption, tire limitations, the throttle pull in seconds and how that affects the amperage load, how that translates to peak rpms on a run, etc, etc....

Speed running is extremely complex.

I could hand you my car and setup that I did a 146 mph run on 4s and you wouldn't go nearly that fast on your first try. It would likely take several tries and looking over the data logs before you figure out how to get the most out of the setup.

Those are great lipos BTW, be sure to charge and discharge them a few times before giving them a true speed run with high amperage. As always warming them up to 100 - 120F makes a giant difference also.

@Dan B. - thank you for the clarification. In all honesty, I'm not looking to set any records. I just want to hit 125mph, with this r/c. I have however, have a limitless v2. I've been ordering parts and parts and more parts. That build will be a true speed build. If I crash it on the 1st go, then its time to rebuild.

As Dan mentioned there is a ton of learning. Learning your road and simply keeping the car on the road is one part, bearing consumption, tire limitations, the throttle pull in seconds and how that affects the amperage load, how that translates to peak rpms on a run, etc, etc....

Speed running is extremely complex.

I could hand you my car and setup that I did a 146 mph run on 4s and you wouldn't go nearly that fast on your first try. It would likely take several tries and looking over the data logs before you figure out how to get the most out of the setup.

Those are great lipos BTW, be sure to charge and discharge them a few times before giving them a true speed run with high amperage. As always warming them up to 100 - 120F makes a giant difference also.
I have done speed runs before. But that was in my Infraction v2. I hit 139mph. All of those things you mentioned are absolutely true. Since everything matters. One day I'll run w/o issues, and the next day everything can go wrong. I get that. But for me, this Typhon is a smaller animal, that I just want to hit that speed. As I stated above, I'll be building a limitless v2. That car will be my unicorn (I think that's the phrase) I'm setting a goal of 183mph, 2028 1100kv single can motor, dual batts, 8s, xlx2, Is it possible to go that fast on 1 motor, I have no idea. But, I'm gonna try. If I crash, who cares. Just rebuild and start over. Well....... I care. I'm not gonna try to crash. LOL

@Dan B. - thank you for the clarification. In all honesty, I'm not looking to set any records. I just want to hit 125mph, with this r/c. I have however, have a limitless v2. I've been ordering parts and parts and more parts. That build will be a true speed build. If I crash it on the 1st go, then its time to rebuild.

I have done speed runs before. But that was in my Infraction v2. I hit 139mph. All of those things you mentioned are absolutely true. Since everything matters. One day I'll run w/o issues, and the next day everything can go wrong. I get that. But for me, this Typhon is a smaller animal, that I just want to hit that speed. As I stated above, I'll be building a limitless v2. That car will be my unicorn (I think that's the phrase) I'm setting a goal of 183mph, 2028 1100kv single can motor, dual batts, 8s, xlx2, Is it possible to go that fast on 1 motor, I have no idea. But, I'm gonna try. If I crash, who cares. Just rebuild and start over. Well....... I care. I'm not gonna try to crash. LOL

My appoligies, being that you have run at higher speeds before you are not really "new" to speed running. Something said before made me think you were.

I like the 2028 but why not the 1700kv? That will be much better suited for your goals.

My appoligies, being that you have run at higher speeds before you are not really "new" to speed running. Something said before made me think you were.

I like the 2028 but why not the 1700kv? That will be much better suited for your goals.
No need for apologies. I had the 1100kv on hand. This motor has been sitting in a box for like a couple of months. (btw, I sub'd your YT channel)

I'll probably pick up the 1700kv sooner or later. Now that you have implanted that thought in my head. LOL

No need for apologies. I had the 1100kv on hand. This motor has been sitting in a box for like a couple of months. (btw, I sub'd your YT channel)

I'll probably pick up the 1700kv sooner or later. Now that you have implanted that thought in my head. LOL
Thanks for the sub and sorry for helping drain your wallet 😂

Speed Tek spool came in and installed. It has a 40T on it, and I have a 30T pinion. M2C front chassis brace also came in and installed. All I need now is some better batts. 2 of them. I can't wait to start test and tweak. Will update.

I'm gonna try this Speed Tek spool. After the Scorched comes in, I'll try that one too. See if there are any HUGE differences. Granted, the Scorched is probably lighter, since it is made out of Ti. Now we wait as the Onyx are shipped, and the Saga gears as well.

20230413_170510.jpg

20230413_170522.jpg

20230413_170619.jpg

small update:

Ran the r/c with the above mentioned gears. Funning thing happened. After about 2 runs, the pinion slid right off. Which is even weirder. Since I let it sit for about 48 hours. Onyx batts came in, and they are HUGE. Wasn't expecting them to be that big. Need to install some QS8 connectors on them, and they will be ready to go. But, since they are that big, I won't be able to capitalize the power of these, since they don't really fit in the Typhon. But, they kinda fit in the Limitless v2. (build incoming)

- side note: still waiting on the Saga gears

update:

I finally got the Saga gears. So, the Typhon now sits with 34P/40T Speed Tek spool. I also added a couple of fans. Hopefully, it will keep it cool. How cool? Who knows. I won't know, until I start making some runs. Checking temps constantly will be the key. I am hoping that there is enough room in there for some kind of air intake for the fans. Now, all I need is some decent weather. Since this 1 legged guy doesn't really work well with snow/rain on the ground. LOL

20230425_121714.jpg

20230425_135808.jpg

20230425_135835.jpg

20230425_135923.jpg

20230425_140209.jpg

20230425_140427.jpg

How's it going? You get to make some passes yet?

Nope. Rain rain and more rain. Hopefully, I'll get a chance this weekend. I used to goto this mini airport that shut down. Unfortunately, someone bought the property, and I can't go there anymore for any kind of runs. But, I'm sure I'll find something. LOL

Great looking build BTW.
I love stretched buggies

Do yourself a giant favor and get a CNHL G+ 70c lipo for it.
That Zeee battery is going to tank when you put heavy amperage loads on it.

Once you cut your teeth on speed running and start pulling good numbers then move up to Onyxl RC Power systems Lipo
what makes the cnhl batteries so good? im looking for some 4s batteries for limitless v2 and 1/5 kraton exb. thanks

what makes the cnhl batteries so good? im looking for some 4s batteries for limitless v2 and 1/5 kraton exb. thanks
They're relatively inexpensive & they perform well. Check these out, I just got a couple a few weeks ago

Screenshot_20230515-091431_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Exactly what Josh said above. Good power for the money. Not the best of the best, but still very good packs for the$$$$.

small update:

Ran the r/c with the above mentioned gears. Funning thing happened. After about 2 runs, the pinion slid right off. Which is even weirder. Since I let it sit for about 48 hours. Onyx batts came in, and they are HUGE. Wasn't expecting them to be that big. Need to install some QS8 connectors on them, and they will be ready to go. But, since they are that big, I won't be able to capitalize the power of these, since they don't really fit in the Typhon. But, they kinda fit in the Limitless v2. (build incoming)

- side note: still waiting on the Saga gears

Make sure to power cycle them at least 2x before running them hard and they like to be run hot (110-120 F) if pushing for big numbers.

small update:

I was able to run the typhon today. I only got almost 2 passes in. 1st pass just to warm everything up, I hit 91mph easy. Wasn't really trying to hit it hard. Then pass #2. Here is where I ran into issues. Biggest issue? Lost signal with r/c. That was my initial assessment. I'll know more, when I rip into it tonight. If you look at that pic, the r/c hit the slope, and catapulted about 15ft straight up, and landed on its rear end. Right rear shock blown and the wing mount is tore up. I have a Footooba (Futaba) 7PXR, with the associated receiver (R334sbs-e). I'll be installing that receiver. As soon as I figure out how to use it. Hopefully, I can get a little better range with it.

Thx.

Untitled.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back