Talion Talion exb should i get one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked one up, not to long ago, and have been really enjoying it! I don’t do 100’ jumps or 100mph speed runs, but I have a ton of fun with it!! I have a 50 acre field behind my house and they grow hay. Once it is cut and bailed I have about a week to rip it up!! I was running in my yard, but I was starting to leave tracks….wife said it was a “no go” area now.. lol

It’s a great piece of kit, but like other RC’s, break it down and check the fluid levels in the diffs and make sure all screws that screw into aluminum has blue locktite. I haven’t broken anything “yet!!”. Lol

I picked one up, not to long ago, and have been really enjoying it! I don’t do 100’ jumps or 100mph speed runs, but I have a ton of fun with it!! I have a 50 acre field behind my house and they grow hay. Once it is cut and bailed I have about a week to rip it up!! I was running in my yard, but I was starting to leave tracks….wife said it was a “no go” area now.. lol

It’s a great piece of kit, but like other RC’s, break it down and check the fluid levels in the diffs and make sure all screws that screw into aluminum has blue locktite. I haven’t broken anything “yet!!”. Lol
I only jump my trucks about 30ft into the air and I honestly think that most people don't even do that height 🤣. Sounds like you are having a good time with your rig.

I have one as well. I absolutely love the thing. Its been able to take everything I throw at it. But then, I don't do huge jumps or speed runs. Just rippin' it up in the dirt.

Love it, I had 6s notorious and kraton EXB and always wanted a talion but they where nowhere in sight..; then I saw the EXB go on preorder and jumped, I would have preferred the roller option but the rig is unique and I love my other EXB’ s so figured it was a safe bet. It’s amazing how different it feels Then the other two arrma 8th scale. i often rum on grass and other higher traction surfaces and it’s so fun to slide around like a buggy on a track. The turning is also faster since it on;y has to move those lighter narrow wheels. I don’t think it’s a ideal jumper, but most have more dedicated specialty rigs for that. im happy

I did not know it was out... Does the Tailon EXB have all open diffs I did not see anything listed with LSD?

Nope, get 2 hahahaha. EXB or not. Both of mine are v4's with aftermarket parts on them.

talion4.jpg

talion13.jpg

Get one, I’ve got about 75-80 4000mah 6s hard runs through it, I launch it 25-30 foot into the air to flat ground landings about 10-20 times per run, landed wrong a few times where I knew something was broke but it wasn’t. I’ve only had to replace one left rear hub bearing, a body clip rubber retainer, and a esc that was under warranty about 15 packs ago. But I clean my bearings and cv joints in a ultrasonic cleaner every 8-10 runs and re oil/grease them. I do all the recommended services in the manual on time. It’s a tank IMO…oh and had to replace the esc fan about 5 runs in when it was new…but I was going to replace it anyway with a higher rpm one that I had new that I didn’t get around to till a blade broke. I would just disassemble the car when you get it and check fluids, gear mesh, diff pinion/ring gear for shimming, make sure everything is tight, check for tread locker where needed. Mine was a quality control nightmare when it was new out of the box…it made me really hate the car in the beginning. Something was always falling off or coming loose. Me and the Talion are all good now. I’m a big advocate for the Talion exb now. Rotate your tires too every few runs, it will greatly extend their life. I have been running a 18t pinion since maybe my 6th run of ownership. I think it’s the perfect gearing, but I do run a fan on the motor heat sink, it would run hot without it with that gearing.

Last edited:
I just got one a couple weeks ago and have only maybe 15 runs on it but I can say these things are amazing!
I had a Savage X SS 4.6 that I built as a kit (15-20 years ago) and it took me MONTHS to dial that thing in and this thing puts it to shame right out of the box. No messing with nitro, not break-in and tuning. Just stupid fast out of the box and the wheels tend to stay facing the ground unlike other trucks.

Had the following issues in this short time bashing pretty hard (Talion EXB RTR)
Wheel cracked, the rest wobble after hard use (katar belted)
sway bar end link broke
tie rod came loose
shock came loose at the top mounts
front tops of the shocks nearly smashed through the body

All said, that's pretty tough, but I put on Pro-Line wheels tires now and wish I could find better sway bar gear.

In a way it's a bit of an 1/5 Typhon. I thought about building a larger 8s Typhon and realized I already have one - just called 6s Talion EXB. The ride height makes it go where the Typhon 6s just gets stuck. It's a lot more precise in handling than a short weel base Typhon 6s.

Very controllable jumps, rebound on shocks a bit too slow for my taste. But then that enables the speed on rougher terrain.
Driving 50k front / 200k center / 20k rear. Open diffs. Think I need to go lower on front and rear oil.

I think it fills the "I need this gap" between a Kraton 6s and the 6s Mojave. The Mojave handles really nice, the Kraton will bash through everything, the Talion is more of an offroad racer - needing a bit less rough terrain than the Kraton 6s. Will do really good on terrain where the Mojave is doing well.

Long jumps is where the Talion excells. High jumps are a bit rough on the tires, not cushioning as mauch as the Kraton or Notorious.

Last edited:
Additional damages I found the chassis slightly bent, servo saver scratched up bad, steering link (acumen arm) bent, front tie rod snapped.

Talion EXB 7075 does feel a little soft...

I just did the full m2c beefcake build and the talion feels great now.

It was turning a bit like a cruise missile and my backyard felt small. So I did the following and now have razor sharp steering and have no trouble turn my yard into a track.

Upper front a arms in the most forward position.
Shock mounts front and back more upright position
Accumen in forward position
Front camber set to zero
Front toe set to zero
The shock oil is closer to 4,000 or 5,000 cst now
Edit: I changed the front tire rods to 1mm thicker titanium. It's both lighter and much stronger than stock EXB silver rods.

Can't wait to take it to the track.

Why 4000-5000 cst oil in the shocks? I find the rebound is already incredibly slow with the standard 2000cst oil. Thought about going to 1000cst and see how it handles. Also checked the strength of the springs but they are very strong/stiff already. Yes the more upright shock position seems makes sense.

Why 4000-5000 cst oil in the shocks? I find the rebound is already incredibly slow with the standard 2000cst oil. Thought about going to 1000cst and see how it handles. Also checked the strength of the springs but they are very strong/stiff already. Yes the more upright shock position seems makes sense.

With the low ride height I'm having difficulty not bottoming out on jumps. Although it does handle really nicely.

I seem to slap the ground when dropped more than a foot or two off the ground. With all the M2C beefcake and HR Racing diff housings the car is 13lbs with 6s battery/body. The Kraton guys seem to get quite a bit more drop height then I do and are close to 16lbs fully upgraded. I'm looking for a happy medium. I have the M2C shock design installed (bladderless and high rebound).

I don't want to compress the springs further as it will increase the ride height too much - I like it level or barely above level.

I tried the Nero springs which fit the front okay and are much stiffer (AR330347 65mm 420gf/mm) but were too short on the rear. The front ride was too high at min. adjustment. but might try again if I find complementary rear springs. Even with the 4 nero springs and the 4000cst or 5000cst it still bottoms out at like a 20" drop. I probably won't use this setup, you probably lose handling and still bottom out on the short Talion shock bodies.

I left the heavier 4,000 or 5,000 CST oil in the shock and swapped back to stock springs and was surprised by how well the it drove and jumped.

I don't know if its 4,000 or 5,000 CST because I mixed it myself and don't have a measure device.

Thanks for that answer!
Yes, the low ride height on jumps is my problem too. That's also the reason why it's still stock - just less weight. My springs are pretty much totally compressed. Will change the shock position.

The slow rebound bothers me. Just too much distance is travelled before the shocks level out again. Making the front scape the ground unnecessarily. That's why I was thinking about 1000cst to make the rebound of the shocks faster. But that won't help with bottoming out.

Thanks for that answer!
Yes, the low ride height on jumps is my problem too. That's also the reason why it's still stock - just less weight. My springs are pretty much totally compressed. Will change the shock position.

The slow rebound bothers me. Just too much distance is travelled before the shocks level out again. Making the front scape the ground unnecessarily. That's why I was thinking about 1000cst to make the rebound of the shocks faster. But that won't help with bottoming out.

I don't mind the slow shocks because when I jump I do see the arms fully extending down, so it is quick enough for that.

Could you do me a favor and weigh your rig (stock talion?) with the battery and body and everything ready to go? I just weighed mine at 13.4 lbs or 6078gr

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back