Typhon Team Associated or Arrma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

short course basher

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Im looking to get a 6s 1/8 rc buggy/truggy one car im looking at is the team associated RC8b3.1e the one im looking at would be $325 rtr with a HiTech servo Motiv MC8 1950kv sensored motor and a Hobby wing XE run xr8 plus esc it would just need a body. or would a arrma typhon 6s or kraton 6s be a better car to go with i mostly race on thicker grass and do some lite bashing.
1683596982780.jpeg
1683597001438.jpeg

All of those are great but as soon as I heard "thicker grass" you basically eliminated the TA. Kraton 6s or even the Typhon 6s might be your best bet if you are basically required to be on grass.

I have a Typhon 6S and it's great. I also have a Thunder Tiger Bushmaster 8E, which is equivalent to the Team Associated RC8 and it's amazing. It's lighter, more balanced, handles better, and bashes just as well as the Typhon. It's one of the best buggies I've ever had!!

Screenshot_20230508_213133_OfferUp.jpg
Screenshot_20230508_213125_OfferUp.jpg

Team associated is more for comp racing besides a couple exceptions and they will require a lot more maintenance
What extra maintenance is required?
All of those are great but as soon as I heard "thicker grass" you basically eliminated the TA. Kraton 6s or even the Typhon 6s might be your best bet if you are basically required to be on grass.
That TA buggy is the same size as a Typhon 6S.

Thick grass will require more tire than a 1/8 buggy with traditional 120mm diameter or even 140mm SCT like a 1/7 Arrma Mojave.

This is an Xtra-wide Mojave with 3.8 LP backflips playing with a turkey after no-cut April.

What extra maintenance is required?

That TA buggy is the same size as a Typhon 6S.
Team associated’a are more picky require diff fluid changes after a few runs unless your using something basher friendly like the mt10 but a car that’s more directed to racing so bashing will be hard and wear parts out faster I would go arrma because it’s more user friendly

Im looking to get a 6s 1/8 rc buggy/truggy one car im looking at is the team associated RC8b3.1e the one im looking at would be $325 rtr with a HiTech servo Motiv MC8 1950kv sensored motor and a Hobby wing XE run xr8 plus esc it would just need a body. or would a arrma typhon 6s or kraton 6s be a better car to go with i mostly race on thicker grass and do some lite bashing.View attachment 298451View attachment 298453
That TA Race Kit rig is specifically for 4s race packs. No one races these with monster 6s bricks, Tracks don't allow it. 6s only is used for bashing or speed running.
You want 6s right?
Hence Arrma. TLRT Typhon. And I run mine on 4s. HW XR8 Plus 1950kv G3 motor combo. Sensored. Runs all day long, cool as a cucumber. 22T pinion. 58mph PB on pavement. I gear down for the technical dirt stuff. I don't race. No tracks near me. 6s lipos are way to much power for the Typhon, IMHO. I save that for my other Arrma 6s rigs.

Edited.

Last edited:
Team associated’a are more picky require diff fluid changes after a few runs unless your using something basher friendly like the mt10 but a car that’s more directed to racing so bashing will be hard and wear parts out faster I would go arrma because it’s more user friendly
Interesting. My experience was quite different with my TA buggy and truggy. I only bashed them and found the diffs to be very reliable. Hardly any maintenance and more durable than my Arrma diffs. And I ran them on 6S.

I had other issues with the truggy though. The long driveshafts were too thin and would bend if I looked at them funny. Super frustrating.

The buggy was solid. I bashed that thing hard and it just took it. Big ramp jumps. Dirt bashing. Street bashing. All on 6S.

That TA Race Kit rig is specifically for 4s race packs. No one races these with monster 6s bricks, Tracks don't allow it. 6s is only is used for bashing or speed running.
You want 6s right?
Hence Arrma. TLRT Typhon. And I run mine on 4s. HW XR8 Plus 1950kv G3 motor combo. Sensored. Runs all day long, cool as a cucumber. 22T pinion. 58mph PB on pavement. I gear down for the technical dirt stuff. I don't race. No tracks near me. 6s lipos are way to much power for the Typhon, IMHO. I save that for my other Arrma 6s rigs.

Edited.
My TAs handled 6S with ease.

Last edited:
IDK who has that Associated buggy for that price, but it is a really nice deal. Buggies don't do well for all terrain action IMO, not enough ground clearance for grass running. Truggy or Muggy(truggy w/bigger tires) make great all terrain vehicles.
6s in a 1/8 buggy or even an sct is just overkill, uncontrollable on an actual course or track. Fun for blasting the block or parking lot, I think it gets old quickly though.

TA race kits are superb for sure. Did they fix the Pills, as they crack and push out behind the pins with impacts more easily?
Tekno diffs seem strongest. My MT 410. I don't own any current TA kits.
I sure can justify a Typhon on 6s. Just felt it was just too fast on that buggy for myself. Too much wheel spin for the buggy wheels. Would Trash it too easily myself. Most do run 6s in their Typhons, if you fit the right size small capacity lipo. I would only consider that for serious Speed running if I had the need for speed. I speed my Infr and Lim for that.

As to the maintenance aspect, whether we're talkin Associated, Arrma or whatever brand, 1/8 scales are all more or less the same by design. I don't see any reason an Associated buggy would require more maintenance than any other 1/8 scale rig. 🤷‍♂️
TA race kits are superb for sure. Did they fix the Pills, as they crack and push out behind the pins with impacts more easily?
I sure can justify a Typhon on 6s. Just felt it was just too fast on that buggy for myself. Too much wheel spin for the buggy wheels. Would Trash it too easily myself. Most do run 6s in their Typhons, if you fit the right size small capacity lipo. I would only consider that for serious Speed running if I had the need for speed. I speed my Infr and Lim for that.
I agree, for "open range" blasting, sure 6s is fun in a Typhon.. plan on buying lots of tires though!!😉🤣🤣
My brother just finally got his first taste of 4s in his Typhon on our track this past weekend.. wow, this is great!! It does make turns!! 🤔😮🤣🤣

Last edited:
4s really tames the 6s RTR Typhon/TLRT IMHO, to the point where you can see it shine as a SWB 1/8 buggy, for more technical driving.

With 4s, my TLRT was perfectly balanced with my Cross weight scales. No ballast needed. I put in a 6s pack and the cross weight scale revealed it to be all wonky. The weight bias changed drastically. For the worse. My suspension, and even the Stocker springs seem to be dialed out the box for a 4s setup.
Just that the TLRT tires do suck out the box, like everyone says. Very hard compound. On 6s they would be even more horrible I think. At least they are included, unlike many Race kits. I only ran the stocker tires once. One shake down pack on 4s. No go for me personally. I would only consider them as beater street tires until they tear up.:LOL: Forget about any dirt. I even tried softening them with Simple Green out the gate. No luck. Probably has a very hard foam insert. (n) :rolleyes:

Edited.

Last edited:
Not sure about the pill issue - I never ran into that problem with my TA cars. I’ve only experienced it with my MT410, oddly enough.

I agree about Tekno diffs. They’re the best 1/8 diffs I’ve come across. Low maintenance and they take a beating.

4S is totally enough for a 1/8 buggy and that’s exclusively what I run on my TLR Typhon. But sometimes going a little crazy is fun so I’m building a big block 6S Typhon right now. Can’t wait till it’s done!

Over 5 plus years and many 4s packs in, My MT410 diffs are flawless, tight as a drum no leaks. I am sure they are broken in well. And due for oil changes. Just that I don't want to even touch them, they are not broken. They feel like they are still new.
Unlike my Arrma diffs that can be so needy, and that way right out the box. :cool:
I feel running 6s with most any rig will need more diff maintenance. Depends how one drives and where.

4s really tames the 6s RTR Typhon/TLRT IMHO, to the point where you can see it shine as a SWB 1/8 buggy, for more technical driving.

With 4s, my TLRT was perfectly balanced with my Cross weight scales. No ballast needed. I put in a 6s pack and the cross weight scale revealed it to be all wonky. The weight bias changed drastically. For the worse. My suspension, and even the Stocker springs seem to be dialed out the box for a 4s setup.
Just that the TLRT tires do suck out the box, like everyone says. Very hard compound. On 6s they would be even more horrible I think. At least they are included, unlike many Race kits. I only ran the stocker tires once. One shake down pack. No go for me personally. I would only consider them as beater street tires until they tear up.:LOL: Forget about any dirt. I even tried softening them with Simple Green out the gate. No luck. Probably has a very hard foam insert. (n) :rolleyes:

Edited.
HaHa!! I been running the Exabytes for like a year now!! They are too hard, but that's also why they're still on there,LOL. They are worlds better than the Katar B's though on hard pack.. those things are useless.. either version, "B" or "T" (Talion).. I made the mistake of buying a set of the truggy version from JRC. I know many like the Katar's, I just haven't found a place they work well for me.

Over 5 plus years and many 4s packs in, My MT410 diffs are flawless, tight as a drum no leaks. I am sure they are broken in well. And due for oil changes. Just that I don't want to even touch them, they are not broken. They feel like they are still new.
Unlike my Arrma diffs that can be so needy, and that way right out the box. :cool:
I feel running 6s with most any rig will need more diff maintenance. Depends how one drives and where.
Ignorance is bliss I suppose.. I don't open them until they "speak" to me..😉🤣🤣
The Tekno diffs have been flawless for me as well. I find the TA/TT have been good to me also.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back