Temp sensor placement for motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChemEng

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Mojave EXB
I just ordered a Flysky FS-CTM01 Temperature Collection Module to go with my NB4. Does anyone on here use an add on temp sensor like that?

Where is the best place to measure the motor temp? Does anyone use this sensor and if so the how did you attach it?

I want to keep track of temps on a castle 1717 1650kv motor.

Was thinking just to tape it to the flat end of the can opposite the pinion, that way it won't get in the way of the fan/cooling but not sure if the temp in that location will be representative.

I would to monitor my temps Realtime as well. Thinking of making use of the build in sensor of the hw1650 somehow.
Looking for a cicuitboard witch flashes a light or delivers a reading...
Any ideas for that?

I just ordered two of those senors the other day. Haven’t got them yet, but my plan was to put them on the pinion end of the motor can side. That seems to be where my motors get the hottest when probed. I just want to know if I need to take more time off between passes without stopping.

I would to monitor my temps Realtime as well. Thinking of making use of the build in sensor of the hw1650 somehow.
Looking for a cicuitboard witch flashes a light or delivers a reading...
Any ideas for that?
I bought the castle sensored system for this purpose, but the motor temp sensor didn't work, castle customer service was great and replaced the motor and esc... but the new ones had the same problem and didn't read motor temp either. I have spent about 10x longer trying to get it to work than I have actually driving it, so I am giving up and like you I am trying to find another solution.

I have temp guns, contact temp readers, I even have a Flir thermal imager, but when I am out ripping around I don't want to stop every 10 minutes to wrestle with the body clips to check Temps. I would rather glance down at my transmitter.

The Flysky FS-CTM01should, in theory, display the temp constantly on the home screen of the NB4.

It will hopefully give me a quick indication if I need to stop and bring out the handheld temp reader or if I can keep going.

I will zip tie the wire to the sensor cable and use some strong tape to hold the thermocouple to the can.

I bought the castle sensored system for this purpose, but the motor temp sensor didn't work, castle customer service was great and replaced the motor and esc... but the new ones had the same problem and didn't read motor temp either. I have spent about 10x longer trying to get it to work than I have actually driving it, so I am giving up and like you I am trying to find another solution.

I have temp guns, contact temp readers, I even have a Flir thermal imager, but when I am out ripping around I don't want to stop every 10 minutes to wrestle with the body clips to check Temps. I would rather glance down at my transmitter.

The Flysky FS-CTM01should, in theory, display the temp constantly on the home screen of the NB4.

It will hopefully give me a quick indication if I need to stop and bring out the handheld temp reader or if I can keep going.

I will zip tie the wire to the sensor cable and use some strong tape to hold the thermocouple to the can.
So how did it work out for you? I have the same TX debating if I should bother with a temp sensor

It works great.

I now have it on my kraton 6s EXB and on my infraction (both with castle systems).

It was easy to set up and it just works. I even set up alarms to alert me if I go over a certain temp. It is all stored in the model memory.

I just use some super strong tape to hold the temp sensor to the end of the can and I zip tied the little transmitter part to the chassis brace.

Honestly I'm not sure why this isn't more popular. I also use the voltage sensor to get live readings and alarms on my battery voltage.

I never hit my temp limit in the fall/winter but I do in the summer (it gets pretty hot in North Carolina). It has saved me a few times when grass clippings jammed up my motor fans. I 100% recommend.

One thing to watch out for, I got 4 sensors from bangood 2 temp and 2 voltage, one of them was wired backwards from the factory (i believe ground and signal were reversed, cant remember now). I didn't notice and it fried itself instantly. Bangood made it right, but I had to wait a few weeks for it to be delivered. Just make sure you save all the packaging until you get it set up because they wanted pictures of EVERYTHING including the shipping label before they would issue a return. I had to dig through my recycling can.

It works great.

I now have it on my kraton 6s EXB and on my infraction (both with castle systems).

It was easy to set up and it just works. I even set up alarms to alert me if I go over a certain temp. It is all stored in the model memory.

I just use some super strong tape to hold the temp sensor to the end of the can and I zip tied the little transmitter part to the chassis brace.

Honestly I'm not sure why this isn't more popular. I also use the voltage sensor to get live readings and alarms on my battery voltage.

I never hit my temp limit in the fall/winter but I do in the summer (it gets pretty hot in North Carolina). It has saved me a few times when grass clippings jammed up my motor fans. I 100% recommend.

One thing to watch out for, I got 4 sensors from bangood 2 temp and 2 voltage, one of them was wired backwards from the factory (i believe ground and signal were reversed, cant remember now). I didn't notice and it fried itself instantly. Bangood made it right, but I had to wait a few weeks for it to be delivered. Just make sure you save all the packaging until you get it set up because they wanted pictures of EVERYTHING including the shipping label before they would issue a return. I had to dig through my recycling can.

Great info! I just ordered 3 temp sensors. Already have a few other voltage ones laying around that work well..I just never bothered with the temp ones yet.

Figured I would share my setup as I made my own and put the sensor on the side of the motor.

Here is a link to the thread:

Hello all! I just completed my first official test of my home made wireless dual temp sensor unit. I wanted to share it with everyone.

Car side:
- Arduino Nano
- nrf24l01 RF transceiver module
- power booster adapter
- 2x thermistor
- various wires, resistors, etc.

Controller Side:
- Arduino... https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/diy-wireless-dual-temp-sensor-setup.48345/

I am thinking about getting some of those temp sensors and I also want to monitor the battery voltage on my Noble pro. Is Banggood the best place to get them from? My FGR4B receiver came with a wire that suppose to monitor voltage. You have any pictures of how you ran them in the Kraton because I also want to add mine to a Kraton.

I got mine from bangood and it worked out fine.

They are still going strong. I can take some pics tomorrow but I just kluged it together with tape and zip ties.

Temp sensor is taped to the sensor end of the can (opposite the pinion) and it seems to work ok.

I made a 3s adapter for the sensor that plugs into the balance lead of one battery. It measures the voltage of just cell 1 (so it reads 4.2 V when fully charged). I just plug it in when I turn the car on.

I don't remember what the voltage limit was for the sensor but it wasn't very high, not sure I would put 8S voltage on it, but measuring across just one cell fixes this issue no matter how many S's you have.

It's great, I have alarms set so I never have to even look at the temp or voltage unless the alarm goes off. I can just enjoy driving.
I am thinking about getting some of those temp sensors and I also want to monitor the battery voltage on my Noble pro. Is Banggood the best place to get them from? My FGR4B receiver came with a wire that suppose to monitor voltage. You have any pictures of how you ran them in the Kraton because I also want to add mine to a Kraton.

Also WTF just published this for the noble pro:

Thanks. I just watched that video today. Banggood is out of stock it looks like.

Thanks. I just watched that video today. Banggood is out of stock it looks like.
Not sure where you live but I bought my sensors off eBay.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back