Tired of Servos

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warfield

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I have a kraton and Im tired of buying new expensive servos that don't last but a couple of weeks before giving out. Im to the point now that i am just going to buy a bunch of cheep ones and just keep replacing them. I have spent nearly 300 dollars on servos over the last yr and have not found a good one yet. everyone says get savox. well im done with them. i have had 2 $90+ savox servos and both died with in a few months.

Anyone know of some cheep servos that may at least last 2 months. i would gladly by a bunch of those and just deal with switching them out monthly rather than $90 every 2 months.

What is happening to them? I imagine you realize there are replacement gear sets available? That is normally what fails and it is a pretty cheap fix. If the electronics are burning up then I would assume something else is wrong and causing it. Faulty esc, incorrect bec voltage, undersized for the application, etc.

Just some food for thought...

I wouldnt consider Savox a new expensive servo , they are great budget servos . Not to say they are bad but i consider Futaba , Hitec and JR ( which i am not sure if Jr are still being made ) to be great servos and i have had some last years upon years of abuse. If you want quality buy one of there top servos and you should not have a problem. This all also comes down to installation and your servo saver and if not set up properly , this put allot of stress on the servo and cause premature failure. Best of luck

I wouldnt consider Savox a new expensive servo , they are great budget servos . Not to say they are bad but i consider Futaba , Hitec and JR ( which i am not sure if Jr are still being made ) to be great servos and i have had some last years upon years of abuse. If you want quality buy one of there top servos and you should not have a problem. This all also comes down to installation and your servo saver and if not set up properly , this put allot of stress on the servo and cause premature failure. Best of luck

What is happening to them? I imagine you realize there are replacement gear sets available? That is normally what fails and it is a pretty cheap fix. If the electronics are burning up then I would assume something else is wrong and causing it. Faulty esc, incorrect bec voltage, undersized for the application, etc.

Just some food for thought...

the first time i used the savox i had it running from the esc and i think it burned out. the hobby shop i went to didnt tell me about using a BEC (newb). so on the second savox I bought at a different shop and they set the bec to the right voltage in the store but it still didnt last more than a couple of months. Im new to 1/8 scale so im not used to having servos go out at all. I have servos from 10 yrs ago that i pop in and out of 1/10 bashers and never have had 1 problem.

It doesn't seem to be the gears it seems to me to be they burn out. Now im just hesitant to go and buy another 80 to 100 dollar servo to have it go out again. But it looks like i may not have a choice.

I just bought a 1/8 buggy so i will be on that one for a while i guess i will see how that servo holds up and if its any good, ill get another one of those to put in the truggy.

Your servo should not be plugged into the esc. Servo should go to the receiver. Than with some esc's you can go into the settings and adjust the bec to provide more power to the servo if the servo is capable , usually a high voltage servo will support this. If your servo does not support this and the settings of the bec voltage are set to high in the esc this can cause the servos to possibly burn out. Also while i don't run a separate bec as for some reason i just found i don't need it as my esc has caps built in and its been working fine , i do recommend a cheap cap that plugs into your receiver to try out , it helps store some voltage . The external bec can never hurt though also. Id say go buy a good servo , most high end ones come with a decent warranty so if it burns out you are covered.

Your servo should not be plugged into the esc. Servo should go to the receiver. Than with some esc's you can go into the settings and adjust the bec to provide more power to the servo if the servo is capable , usually a high voltage servo will support this. If your servo does not support this and the settings of the bec voltage are set to high in the esc this can cause the servos to possibly burn out. Also while i don't run a separate bec as for some reason i just found i don't need it as my esc has caps built in and its been working fine , i do recommend a cheap cap that plugs into your receiver to try out , it helps store some voltage . The external bec can never hurt though also. Id say go buy a good servo , most high end ones come with a decent warranty so if it burns out you are covered.

sorry i meant plugged into the receiver. I just wasnt use to having to do anything technical to make a servo work so i think i need to read up a little more on the bec to make sure im doing it right.

thanks

sorry i meant plugged into the receiver. I just wasnt use to having to do anything technical to make a servo work so i think i need to read up a little more on the bec to make sure im doing it right.

thanks
It also might help if you listed all of the makes and models of the servo's you have used in your Kraton.

Using hot racing servo mount with factory servo. Over 2 months with no issues. I think the original servo is pretty good. When it does go i am going to replace with same servo. Thought about some really expensive ones but in the past its my experience that its best just to buy cheap ones. The only reason i concidered buying a high priced one was due to reading posts on this forum. In the end everyone has there own experiences.

You must be doing something wrong, maybe your ss not set right, too much binding.

That it happens once is ok, but constantly... mmh, then everybody would be complaining. And these forums have a lot of ARRMA fans.

I heard there is a brand that offers lifetime warranty.

Hello hello,
I have burnt my stock servo on 3rd little run too.
Replaced with a Savox Servo SV-1270TG 35kg 0.11s Métal (perfect size but not splash proof)

I'm here to read more and share troubleshooting.

Before burning mine stock one, I have had steering end point adjustment...
Now, Im so affraid burning my new one that I have set end point adjustment "far away" from maximum... My steering is less efficient but for now the Savox is still alive.

What about your problems guys? have you found solutions? or burnt some more servos?

Hello hello,
I have burnt my stock servo on 3rd little run too.
Replaced with a Savox Servo SV-1270TG 35kg 0.11s Métal (perfect size but not splash proof)

I'm here to read more and share troubleshooting.

Before burning mine stock one, I have had steering end point adjustment...
Now, Im so affraid burning my new one that I have set end point adjustment "far away" from maximum... My steering is less efficient but for now the Savox is still alive.

What about your problems guys? have you found solutions? or burnt some more servos?

haven't replaced it yet. I set my Kraton to the side for a while. i bought a new nitro buggy. so i will be playing with that one for a while unless i cant keep the motor running (newb) or until i decide to either get an expensive servo for the kraton or a couple of cheep ones. i think i like the buggies better because you don't need a super servo to move the big wheels under all the weight.

Definitely doing something wrong. Post the models of servos you have broken. 1st thing is to replace the weak stock mount or mod with DIY aluminum legs. 2nd step is to get the appropriate servo model based on torque and voltage specs. In highly modded up Kraton, I'm running Savox 1256TG straight stock replacement to the internal BEC of my Castle system set to 6.0v (normal plug to the Receiver) and no issues. My Outcast has the stock servo holding up.

Definitely doing something wrong. Post the models of servos you have broken. 1st thing is to replace the weak stock mount or mod with DIY aluminum legs. 2nd step is to get the appropriate servo model based on torque and voltage specs. In highly modded up Kraton, I'm running Savox 1256TG straight stock replacement to the internal BEC of my Castle system set to 6.0v (normal plug to the Receiver) and no issues. My Outcast has the stock servo holding up.

Thanks but i actually did all the methods you mentioned. Im not sure what servos. i had 2 high end savox servos that were where high rated for 1/8th truggy. I also have the bec set at 6.V. with that said servo doesn't work any more. burned out.

Sorry for your loss.

Without knowing the servo numbers nobody can make any further suggestions to help you. It must be something wrong with your setup, because I haven't seen anyone else complain about such issues.

1502269305947505840453.jpg
This is What I run on My Kraton Never Failed Running Trenchers 430 in/lbs Torch.
I have a kraton and Im tired of buying new expensive servos that don't last but a couple of weeks before giving out. Im to the point now that i am just going to buy a bunch of cheep ones and just keep replacing them. I have spent nearly 300 dollars on servos over the last yr and have not found a good one yet. everyone says get savox. well im done with them. i have had 2 $90+ savox servos and both died with in a few months.

Anyone know of some cheep servos that may at least last 2 months. i would gladly by a bunch of those and just deal with switching them out monthly rather than $90 every 2 months.

Evo P2 brushless servo. Look for it on eBay.

Do you have to use a BEC or just connect to receiver.

how long have you had it in your truggy.

All the descriptions for the p2 say 1/8 buggy not truggy and that makes a big difference. the big tires on a truggy are harder to turn so i just want to make sure im not wasting anymore mone.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back