Traxxas forum is dead, so I'll ask here: Metal rod ends?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bean

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
My Slash 4x4 has awful steering slop, the wheels can turn a significant amount without turning the servo. I can fix this by replacing all the old, worn rod ends with new ones.

But, should I replace them with metal rod ends, which won't wear out as easily, or would that eliminate a weak point and cause more difficult-to-replace parts to break?

My Slash is very light and is run on 2s and 3s.

I personally love the stock vxl rod ends. (They're the bigger ones). I've found them extremely durable and I don't think I've ever had one wear enough to really notice any slop?

Another thing to note is... the stock servo saver on the slash 4x4 is garbage when it comes to being loose and sloppy.
Mine had so much give i could almost turn the wheels lock to lock and never actually move the servo.

My Slash 4x4 has awful steering slop, the wheels can turn a significant amount without turning the servo. I can fix this by replacing all the old, worn rod ends with new ones.

But, should I replace them with metal rod ends, which won't wear out as easily, or would that eliminate a weak point and cause more difficult-to-replace parts to break?

You might want to look into using some mugen links and rod ends. I did that in the past and couldn't tell you the part numbers, but they were much nicer in quality. Plus the rod had a better shape for adjusting without stripping it.

I personally love the stock vxl rod ends. (They're the bigger ones). I've found them extremely durable and I don't think I've ever had one wear enough to really notice any slop?

Another thing to note is... the stock servo saver on the slash 4x4 is garbage when it comes to being loose and sloppy.
Mine had so much give i could almost turn the wheels lock to lock and never actually move the servo.
Yep, plastic rod ends, metal pivot balls. The way they all should be. Bigger is better, more surface area to distribute the force/wear.
I can't believe Arrma uses plastic pivot balls on the 1/10 scale rigs🤷‍♂️
You might want to look into using some mugen links and rod ends. I did that in the past and couldn't tell you the part numbers, but they were much nicer in quality. Plus the rod had a better shape for adjusting without stripping it.
Or Tekno.. they're kinda pricey. That's the thing with TRX parts, pretty cheap to buy. I've got E Revo rod ends on 2 of my Arrma's right now.. I hadn't realized Arrma sells the composite "kit" for $8.99..🤪
Next time I guess, I saved all the pivot balls at least. LOL

Last edited:
I can't say for traxxas specifically but I fixed a crap ton of slop in my k8s/o8s by going to metal rod ends on the steering links. Was totally worth it to me and they've been durable so far. I also bought some for my traxxas XRT but haven't installed them yet.

I ended up going to 4mm camber & steering links with RPM rod ends on my Traxxas rigs, haven't broken one in over a year now, even after destroying a chassis/upper chassis/bellcrank in a bad crash, all the links and rod ends were totally fine.

Dude, you are so right about the Traxxas forum being dead. I totally gave up on it years ago. There are probably roughly one-gazillion Traxxas rigs out there. I just can’t comprehend why that site isn’t kickin’ 24-7. Have you noticed also that there appears to be very few knowledgeable people that have ever responded to any post, ever? Really, really weird. There is utterly nothing helpful there. It’s a shame when you get the best, most knowledgeable feedback for a Traxxas vehicle on the Arrma forum. 😂

I ended up going to 4mm camber & steering links with RPM rod ends on my Traxxas rigs, haven't broken one in over a year now, even after destroying a chassis/upper chassis/bellcrank in a bad crash, all the links and rod ends were totally fine.

The Rpm rod ends are probably some of the best parts I have gotten from Rpm, I have rigs that have had their rod ends on them for years and they are still as good as new.
Dude, you are so right about the Traxxas forum being dead. I totally gave up on it years ago. There are probably roughly one-gazillion Traxxas rigs out there. I just can’t comprehend why that site isn’t kickin’ 24-7. Have you noticed also that there appears to be very few knowledgeable people that have ever responded to any post, ever? Really, really weird. There is utterly nothing helpful there. It’s a shame when you get the best, most knowledgeable feedback for a Traxxas vehicle on the Arrma forum. 😂

Yup I gave up on that forum a long time ago as well. Been a member there longer than I have been a member here but I have like a million times more posts on here. There are like 2 people on there that are helpful and one of them is on here as well.

Traxxas forum is dead because all the members are here 🤣🤣

Lol, I feel bad sometimes how much I talk about my Traxxas rigs here, but the other places I tried its crickets! :ROFLMAO:
Thor Hello GIF by Vinnie Camilleri

Its probably because so many newer users that go after them are younger and forums are kinda old school.
So many younger rely on social media for stuff like this so.....
Thats my belief. We seem to have more experienced folks on the arrma forum thats more from the forum "era".

That and anymore people aren't proud to talk Traxxas that much cause of how they run thier company...

I own a ton of them, have for 30 years.. I don't even like talking about them all that much. Aside my slash I don't run any of them anymore either.

don't touch the metal rod ends. Get better ones or just replace.You need the balls to be press fitted in. Something you cant do with metal rod ends. And aluminum wears pretty quick with friction
My experience too. I suppose usage plays a role. Such as dusty/muddy conditions. Also why I avoid aluminum hubs with pivot ball rigs. Stronger yes, but less wear resistance I believe🤷‍♂️

Lol, I feel bad sometimes how much I talk about my Traxxas rigs here, but the other places I tried its crickets! :ROFLMAO:
Thor Hello GIF by Vinnie Camilleri
Go to the Trx forum and ask about fixing Steering slop on an Arrma.
You will get flamed, then banned, in that order. :LOL:
Because the Trx forum is actually owned and operated by Trx.
And AF has No affiliation with the Arrma brand.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back