Typhon Typhon 6s EXB speed runner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny @LibertyMKiii how quickly things escalated after I wrote this post lol
At this point, the goal is just to have a good road worthy, parking lot basher. I didn't want to add to the fleet with an Infraction, Limitless or Felony, so I just took the Typhon one step further. With the suspension dropped low, it was already a ton of fun on road tires. The stretch is just to give it a little more balance and what I feel, is an awesome look. I might do some gearing switches just to fool around, but I don't have any top speed goals at the moment. I'll just keep watching you and the other speed freaks on the forum, if I need to see triple digit numbers?

Canadian speed runner's weapon of choice...?

thumbnail.asp.jpeg

https://www.kyoshoamerica.com/34902-112-EP-Readyset-BLIZZARD-20_p_26080.html

Thanks to the forum speed run crowd, the next phase of the T6 transformation has been set in motion. GP5 gearing from the Felony on route
20210325_072752.jpg

Rained out weekend. Good day to clean and maintain the T6. Over the week I installed the GP5 42/15 gear combos in the f/r difs. Replaced the forward motor bearing on the BLX 2050kv motor with a ceramic one from TRB. Bought sets of 2 but soon realized the one at the back of the can is smaller. Cleaned and relubed the back one. Lots of spares now🤷‍♂️. Over the week, all bearings were removed, clean and relubed. Bent my rear arm guards to maybe create a bit of downforce, but at the least, this will slightly reduce drag. Yes, I know. Who needs dirt guards on a street runner? Me.
20210326_202246.jpg
20210328_144901.jpg
20210328_151227.jpg

Rained out weekend. Good day to clean and maintain the T6. Over the week I installed the GP5 42/15 gear combos in the f/r difs. Replaced the forward motor bearing on the BLX 2050kv motor with a ceramic one from TRB. Bought sets of 2 but soon realized the one at the back of the can is smaller. Cleaned and relubed the back one. Lots of spares now🤷‍♂️. Over the week, all bearings were removed, clean and relubed. Bent my rear arm guards to maybe create a bit of downforce, but at the least, this will slightly reduce drag. Yes, I know. Who needs dirt guards on a street runner? Me. View attachment 135408View attachment 135409View attachment 135410

I need to hit up TRBrc for some motor bearings for my orginal BLX from the Notorious as well as the Rocket and Surpass motors. Anyone have a Rocket 4076, 4082, or 4092 that can confirm bearing sizes?

Also - I build little shields out clear vinyl I bought to make chassis protectors. I put a drop of oil on the bearings before I close it up and then seal both ends. I just did my first messy attempt, but I'll be doing all my motors going forward as I clean and rebuild them.

I just put a giant 4092 in my Notorious - what do you guys put underneath it? It's long and heavy so a big hit is going to put a LOT of stress on that motor mount. Ideally I'd have the fan mount have a flat bottom on the bracket to also support the engine in the event of a big hit. Or should I use something softer? I don't want to use silicon or foam as they will retain heat. THoughts?

I need to hit up TRBrc for some motor bearings for my orginal BLX from the Notorious as well as the Rocket and Surpass motors. Anyone have a Rocket 4076, 4082, or 4092 that can confirm bearing sizes?

Also - I build little shields out clear vinyl I bought to make chassis protectors. I put a drop of oil on the bearings before I close it up and then seal both ends. I just did my first messy attempt, but I'll be doing all my motors going forward as I clean and rebuild them.

I just put a giant 4092 in my Notorious - what do you guys put underneath it? It's long and heavy so a big hit is going to put a LOT of stress on that motor mount. Ideally I'd have the fan mount have a flat bottom on the bracket to also support the engine in the event of a big hit. Or should I use something softer? I don't want to use silicon or foam as they will retain heat. THoughts?
I put a piece of tire held with a zip tie. You can see the piece of Backflip on the bottom of the motor in the pic above. Less room, use a thinner tire.

I put a piece of tire held with a zip tie. You can see the piece of Backflip on the bottom of the motor in the pic above. Less room, use a thinner tire.
I guess if you have blown apart a few backflips you will have that laying around....

<Looks at new 4092 motor. Looks at 26T pinion.>

Hold my beer.

New 107mm Hoons now on and ready. Sunday should be the first pass with all the recent changes
IMG_20210402_111235_674.jpg
IMG_20210402_110616_756.jpg

Why the switch to the larger Hoons? There's more rotating mass and a taller sidewall which makes for a weaker wheel at speed (more opportunity for rubber to expand and rip off due to imbalance/vibration). Plus I bet you're making the Felony owners jealous ;)
The larger diameter is what I was after. Gonna run them on both my T6S and my T3/6s. I don't expect that I'll be exceeding 120 to 125 mph. Also, I'm a glutten for punishment, so I'll be the guinea pig who either reaps the rewards or goes down in a blaze of glory.

Transplanted the MMX 8s. Initial test hits in front of my house says everything's good to go.......Except the driver of course.
20210405_194728.jpg

Time for a detailed wrap up for those just tuning in. My Typhon 6s (T6S) started life as a brand new basher bought from @joostin420 here on the forum. After several minor tweaks like truggifying it with Kraton hubs and hexes, the road to speed began. First was a stretch using a Kraton EXB chassis, braces and rear driveshaft. On stock electronics, I was able to achieve 98 mph. The first gear change outside of the motor pinion was to add a 46t spur from an Infraction. This also opened the door to larger pinions. The first electronics mod came after the BLX 185 caught fire. This brought the need for better electronics. Enter the Castle MM2. Still stock motor with two high power 30 x 30 fans. After running 27/46 for about a day, in came the Limitless spool and 34t spur. Ran that with a 29t pinion for just over 100 mph. Ground out the motor mount a bit and was able to go 1:1 pinion to spur, so now geared at 34/34 with stock Typhon difs. Highest recorded speed was 112 mph. Could have gone faster without changing a thing, bit that's not the Notorious J way. Read somewhere (wonder where) that the GP5 15/42 Felony gears would drop the ratio and help to achieve even higher speeds. I'm not stupid, of course I jumped and installed them. Brings me to this weekend. Put 107mm Hoons on, slapped in a battery and proceeded to fry a perfectly good MM2 esc. Being the glutten for punishment I am, I also fried a good used stock BLX 185. So here we are today. Just put in the Castle MMX 8s esc that was in my Kraton, in the hopes that I break that ever elusive ___ mph. That number changes by the minute so I'm leaving it blank. Note to those who might be considering speed runs. Just do it. Almost as much of a rush as landing a perfect triple backflip.
20210321_110221-01-01.jpeg

Side note; few other upgrades that weren't mentioned are Limitless front tower and shocks, a mix of Voltage Hobbies and Custom Rc Upgrades suspension mounts, a Hot Racing rear skid and easily the third T Bone front bumper. As of today, the build is all Arrma except for the fans, servo, 34t pinion, suspension mounts and esc. I'll go with 85% Arrma and 15% other. Current radio is Radiolink Rc6gs v2 with r7fg receiver.

@Notorious J ...

I think I did mention somewhere that the 107 Hoons were too heavy 😉🤔🤣

Great explanation of what you've done so far, looks like your having fun though and that's all that counts eh..!!

I'm still having a hard time trying to find a decent long road to even get past 1/2 throttle with mine..🤪

What a crazy weekend it was. Thanks to so many on the forum including @Mr.Duke, @K-BASH, @LibertyMKiii, @jondilly1974, @Jimbobjr, @Grimbles, @Hammer Down, @The Donut Man and countless others. So many mistakes were made by me in the pursuit of higher speeds, but as of last night, I've got many sorted out. Recalibrated the radio and changed many settings. Set up the esc better with Castle Link. Dropped down the pinion on the motor and so many other little tweaks. Also got a great lesson on how to use the Castle Link software more efficiently. Now I haven't run it full out yet with all the changes, but after some good test passes on Saturday, definitely headed in the right direction......again. To any and all who want to get into the speed run game, this is not for the weak of heart, or light of wallet. It is a gruelling process to inch forward a few miles per hour at a time. Trying to make huge leaps will crush you, as I have recently learned. Reading or seeing what someone else has done and immediately throwing those set ups into your own rc, is a recipe for disaster. Take your time, and change things slowly and steadily. Learn what works and what doesn't, and try to keep as much detailed information as possible. Kudos to those who are making headway in the speed run game like @Edough13, @rotauq, @Notoriousone, @ABabyEater, @phildogg and the others already mentioned above. Respect to you all for playing a game where the stakes are so high.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back