Typhon Typhon 6s raw power.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredw90

Reaction score
Looking for as much power as possible while maintaining weight. Looking to stick with 4s.

Should I go with the mmx8s over the 6s esc? Mmx8 is only $20 more and the weight is fairly low.

And for motor should I go with the 1515 2200kv? I’m afraid to go much larger because I’m trying to maintain a decent weight.

Currently running the stock 6s system on 4s.

Geared 20/44 max punch and max timing. Motor temps usually hit around 170-180 with ambient temps of around 70. This is parking lot bashing full throttle ripping it around on bald TLR tires.

But I want more power! 😂😂😂
Or should I just go with the monster x? But from what I’ve read a good chunk of people say the mmx8s does help the motor run cooler.

Last edited:
I see you want to run the Typhon balls to the wall. Your gearing , Motor timing, Punch and all. And all that running 4s packs. I would be more concerned with fitting the lightest smallest ESC of the bunch. Some ESC's are just too big. Running 4s packs, a decent 6s ESC will suffice.
My TLRT:
-4s
-HW XR8 Plus 2250kv G2 combo (4274). Sensored. (a 6s max ESC)
-22/50
My Timing is low, all the way down. , Punch is in the middle somewhere. My temps are ok. Until ambient temps reach the high 80's. Then cool downs are a must. I monitor temps well, during very hot weather But I never had an ESC or Motor Thermal Event. My HW sensored ESC will also go thermal cut when the motor overheats. Never happened yet.

I feel 170-180F Motor temps are surely way too high. Look to a better Motor fan solution. One without a Heat sink. Just use a "fan mount". Fan(s) blowing directly at the motor is best IMHO.
I find the Typhon very well balanced running 4s Packs.
I get 58 MPH max speeds with my setup. Plenty fast for me. Any terrain.

With your 44T Spur, you have more room for taller gearing. But you have to address Motor temps. I don't know that simply swapping the ESC alone will make the motor run cooler. I find 150F motor temps is the safe limit. When using a Temp gun for external temp readings. Timing should be dropped all the way down when motor temps are a problem. Evaluate from there. Then drop the Punch a notch down to get it cooler if need be. I rarely even use any Timing in all my setups. Despite whatever the default Timing value is. It only works against you with little to no performance gain. Just cooks the motor.
Try dropping the timing ALL the way down and check your temps. Then see what temps you get. I bet it will run cooler, with very little perceived hit in performance whatsoever.
Much depends how you drive your Typhon. We all drive differently.
:cool:

20231001_124913.jpg

Last edited:
Looking for as much power as possible while maintaining weight. Looking to stick with 4s.

Should I go with the mmx8s over the 6s esc? Mmx8 is only $20 more and the weight is fairly low.

And for motor should I go with the 1515 2200kv? I’m afraid to go much larger because I’m trying to maintain a decent weight.

Currently running the stock 6s system on 4s.

Geared 20/44 max punch and max timing. Motor temps usually hit around 170-180 with ambient temps of around 70. This is parking lot bashing full throttle ripping it around on bald TLR tires.

But I want more power! 😂😂😂
Or should I just go with the monster x? But from what I’ve read a good chunk of people say the mmx8s does help the motor run cooler.

Like SrC post and the other.

I only run 4S in mine but the Typhon is a basher only no speed runs. Got the Max6 in but had to turn it to fit and the old BLX 2050kv motor.

I am running a 21T pinion, punch at 3. My goal and only goal was to be able to run against my buddy Typhon v5 6S and run head-to-head with him on a farm track. Goal accomplished it's light enough and fast enough to compete against his heavier and faster v5.

As they said, check the rig limits of what you can put in it.... best of luck (y)

1696181183773.png

Have you thought of the Firma 130a!! 😎
That might overheat quickly in this application.
MMX8S. TP 4070 or Castle 1520.

That said, a motor’s performance is tied to its weight. More power will mean more weight.

@parcou, that's a beauty there.(y)

That said, a motor’s performance is tied to its weight. More power will mean more weight.
+1
Yeah 130 amps is simply going backwards. (n) Especially a Firma ESC for the OP's application and objectives..(n)

Need 150-160 amps IMHO. Whatever you choose. ( 6s ESC at a minimum) You want more amp overhead for efficiency. Lower the Voltage ( a 4s pack here) the more amps drawn. How I see it.

I’ll add that pairing a Castle ESC with a sensored motor is the way to go for road bashing IMO. You can set the system to shut off if the motor reaches a certain temperature. I set mine to 180F but you can choose any temp you want.

You never have to monitor and worry about temps. That peace of mind is really nice.

Last edited:
Like SrC post and the other.

I only run 4S in mine but the Typhon is a basher only no speed runs. Got the Max6 in but had to turn it to fit and the old BLX 2050kv motor.

I am running a 21T pinion, punch at 3. My goal and only goal was to be able to run against my buddy Typhon v5 6S and run head-to-head with him on a farm track. Goal accomplished it's light enough and fast enough to compete against his heavier and faster v5.

As they said, check the rig limits of what you can put in it.... best of luck (y)

View attachment 324927
that looks awesome , i love my little Typhon , shes awesome on 4s

I like the way you think. Totally forgot about the 1520. I think that’s narrowed it down to the 1520 vs 1515.

I’d like to stick with sensored for the temp cut off which is nice.

@SrC I realize my motor is running on the hot side. I have everything cranked up and I’d say it’s borderline over geared lol.

I like the way you think. Totally forgot about the 1520. I think that’s narrowed it down to the 1520 vs 1515.

I’d like to stick with sensored for the temp cut off which is nice.

@SrC I realize my motor is running on the hot side. I have everything cranked up and I’d say it’s borderline over geared lol.
I run a 1520/MMX8S combo on 4S in my Tekno MT410. It’s been very, very good.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back