Unpopular R/C Opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My unpopular opinions:
(No judgement whatsoever...RC is awesome because everybody is free to take the hobby wherever they please. These are just my very personal opinions)

- Scale realism is pointless. I get why some are into it (I think), but it's clearly not for me.

- Lights are overrated. I don't understand why so many people want to put LEDs on their RC. They just add more clutter and I'd hate having to deal with that. I'd probably put lights on a street basher I want to drive at night, but that's it.

- Overly busy paint scheme and tons of stickers on the body are ugly.

- I also find the hate toward Spektrum electronics is a bit too intense.

- Bigger is not always better. My Kraton 6S is a lot of fun, but I'd hate to have anything bigger to carry around.

lol, are you all missing the point? I hardcore disagree with 2 and 3, and there are a few good Traxxas models, but that's the whole point of this thread...so here are some opinions of my own that many will disagree with.

1) "Sending it" is the dumbest thing ever. A stupid phrase uttered by brain-dead douche-bros, and a senseless and destructive idea to begin with. In the realm of this hobby, what I really mean is, jumping your RC to the moon. It's fun for the first few times, but quickly gets old...every time I see someone jumping their RC way up in the air, I visualize them hopping up and down giggling and clapping like a toddler.

2) Speed running a letdown. The chase is exciting...setting a goal and building up the rig to meet it...but the actual speed runs are not that exciting. You get none of the thrill via adrenaline that you get when going fast in a real car, and all of the built-up expectations developed when building your rig are just met with a feeling of "that's it?" The chase is far more exciting than actually achieving the goal.

3) Spektrum electronics aren't that bad. Yes, their servos suck. But the ESCs and motors are, on the whole, fine for what they're intended for. Yes, people have problems, and they're definitely general purpose electronic, but the "Spektrum sucks" trope is mostly just a bandwagon we're all excited to jump on (I've done it myself).

4) 1/10 Touring cars and Crawlers is where it's at. Huge amounts of skill needed to win touring car races and climb the steepest obstacles. Massive amounts of time, effort and thought go into building a winning rig, but the payoff is worth it. I can see how crawling can be boring to people who've never been into off-roading because you probably suck at it...the technical aspects of it arguably require the most skill and patience of any part of this hobby.

5) Going head-to-head with other drivers is 1000% more exciting than bashing around with your friends.

6) This forum gives a false idea of how the RC community really can be. There are just as many immature little a$$holes as there are in any other hobby, you just don't see many of them around the forum. I think it's probably because forum members are generally on the older and more mature side.
Sorry, this thread is for unpopular opinions, not true facts. You fail, -100 social credits.

:)

Sorry, this thread is for unpopular opinions, not true facts. You fail, -100 social credits.

:)
Gah, my credits! I better post some selfies on Instabook so I can get some likes and get them back!

But, I've got another one:

- Buying an RTR and putting new wheels/tires and a Castle combo in it isn't a "build," and neither is finishing a Limitless roller. Those don't constitute a "build" any more than putting seat covers and an air filter on your Civic does. A build starts as a pile of parts, which you then assemble (or build) into your rig, one-by-one. And before anyone says "well if you are just buying parts and assembling them it's not a build either..." Yes, it is, you're interchanging building and manufacturing.

Gah, my credits! I better post some selfies on Instabook so I can get some likes and get them back!

- Buying an RTR and putting new wheels/tires and a Castle combo in it isn't a "build," and neither is finishing a Limitless roller. Those don't constitute a "build" any more than putting seat covers and an air filter on your Civic does. A build starts as a pile of parts, which you then assemble (or build) into your rig, one-by-one. And before anyone says "well if you are just buying parts and assembling them it's not a build either..." Yes, it is, you're interchanging building and manufacturing.
Good points, which leads me to my next potentially unpopular opinion. I hate rtr's! I miss the good ole days of kits. I know there are some still out there but they're either uber expensive full blown race, or Tamiyas made of peanut brittle bits. Oh the memories of building a kit..the excitement of seeing a box of parts come together!!😮😃🍻

Another perhaps unpopular opinion: People can have heated arguments and disagreements with others they like and respect without it changing the nature of the relationship. Like you I don't hate any of the people who may dislike me for the things I have posted or the way I have engaged. Not worth getting upset or holding grudges with people on a toy car forum.

This is one thing I wish I'd see more of. I think generally people agree with the idea, but in practice they fail. One of my favorite ways to learn and expand my world view is to converse with people who I know have an opposite viewpoint than me. Sure, those discussions can get a little "heated" when we're both passionate about our outlook, but if anything, they just lead me to respecting the other person more, and though they don't frequently change my overall opinion, I usually at least have a better understanding of why other people feel differently about a given topic than me. However, it's getting harder and harder to find people who you can have a disagreement with who don't just immediately either jump to the most extreme example or get super defensive and start hurling insults. Unfortunately, I think a lot of times that happens because some people tend to not be very introspective, so they've formed opinions but don't really have an identifiable reason as to why they hold that opinion, and often it's just virtue signaling or regurgitating mass media.

1) I'm hearing "blah blah blah my opinion is better than yours because of reasons...." :D

4) but for real, your #1 is totally wrong. Just SEND IT!!!!! :ROFLMAO:
lol, I hope I didn't hit a nerve, that wasn't my intention. "Brain-dead douche-bro" was meant tongue-in-cheek, not seriously. But I do hate the phrase "send it," as well as "yeet" "that's fire" "bet" or whatever ever crap the youths are coming up with...it's probably just my bitter old-manness at play!

@Synchronicity comments
1. Generally agree but sucks is relative to your experience with them, I have a Drag Slash and its a toy compared to any Arrma I drag with. The TRX6 is about the most capable crawler you can get RTR (stop now crawler people, I said RTR😂)
2. I'm just not that into them, appearance is the major factor, just an amorphous blob somewhat resembling a truck, on a dirt track they are fun but like you said, mostly meh at anything else.
3. Crawling is very fun unless you're just crawling along in the grass or on the sidewalk, if you have the terrain or the room to set up a course, they are very fun and I might add a great way to introduce RC's to young children without the risk of them taking you out at the shins.

@grihn comments
1. LOL, don't disagree, fun a few times then meh for me
3. 100% agree, the I hate Spektrum movement is massively overblown, but I get great cheap parts because people insist on Mamba and Castle, works out fine for me.👏🏼
5. This is what I love about Drag RC, head to head, a bunch of people, quick heats keeps everybody involved and entertained.
6. All forums

Mine:
1. Enough with the shoe goo and drywall tape, it was originally just for repairs, not the whole body when it's new.
2. Cheaper is not Best, although it can be, it usually is not. Other side of the coin, The most expensive is not always the best either, you've got to wade through many opinions on each side of the spectrum to find what's best for YOU.
3. No, you don't need to completely disassemble a brand new car to "go through it". Put some batteries in drive, its not cherished heirloom brought over on the Mayflower, enjoy it, if it breaks, fix it.
4. No, you don't need an inventory of back up parts on hand in case something breaks, stop wasting money on something you might need, unless you're a doomsday prepper, then yeah do that but generally speaking it's my opinion that RC cars will not be heavily used in an apocalypse.
5. Buy the cheapest Lipos you can find and beat them to hell and prepare for fire, otherwise the Lipo bags and boxes are overdone.

Notes:
All of mine are shots fired for some folks here, don't get upset, I still like you even if you hate me. I take my own opinions with a grain of salt😂
#3 had me cracking up. I agree. I will quickly make sure the pinion grub screw is tight but I’ll throw batteries in a let er rip. I’m too impatient not to.

Good points, which leads me to my next potentially unpopular opinion. I hate rtr's! I miss the good ole days of kits. I know there are some still out there but they're either uber expensive full blown race, or Tamiyas made of peanut brittle bits. Oh the memories of building a kit..the excitement of seeing a box of parts come together!!😮😃🍻
That's why crawlers are the best!

This is one thing I wish I'd see more of. I think generally people agree with the idea, but in practice they fail. One of my favorite ways to learn and expand my world view is to converse with people who I know have an opposite viewpoint than me. Sure, those discussions can get a little "heated" when we're both passionate about our outlook, but if anything, they just lead me to respecting the other person more, and though they don't frequently change my overall opinion, I usually at least have a better understanding of why other people feel differently about a given topic than me. However, it's getting harder and harder to find people who you can have a disagreement with who don't just immediately either jump to the most extreme example or get super defensive and start hurling insults. Unfortunately, I think a lot of times that happens because some people tend to not be very introspective, so they've formed opinions but don't really have an identifiable reason as to why they hold that opinion, and often it's just virtue signaling or regurgitating mass media.

lol, I hope I didn't hit a nerve, that wasn't my intention. "Brain-dead douche-bro" was meant tongue-in-cheek, not seriously. But I do hate the phrase "send it," as well as "yeet" "that's fire" "bet" or whatever ever crap the youths are coming up with...it's probably just my bitter old-manness at play!
The fuq is Yeet? A yam mixed with a beet?

Guess I could use some life lessons with Dr. Rick(unbecoming your parents)too..the 💩 these kids come up with 🤨.. life really does go full circle🤣🤣

You just discredited all of my builds! :cry::ROFLMAO:

Well then you got played sir, cause that was my intent too :LOL:

As far as sending it (or whatever the kids want to call it nowadays): why not???? I don't see a difference between that or anyone else who is testing the limit (speed runs, Duperbash-ing, running 16s on an RC).

Example: I made a janky brace a few weeks ago when I needed to have an RC up and running (https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/when-its-a-beautiful-day-but-all-of-your-rcs-are-broken.51310/). I started out driving gentle with it so I wouldn't break it. I've put like half a dozen packs through it of jumping and bashing around. You know what I did Saturday at the skatepark? I thought "gee, this brace has been lasting a while, i kind of want to test it to see what it can really stand up to". I THRASHED the truck. Sent it 20ft high onto the skatepark ground. had a couple of nasty spills. And you know what??? It held up. Brace bent slightly but held together. Sometimes you just have to "send it" (or alternate word choice i guess) and test it to see what it can do.

As far as sending it (or whatever the kids want to call it nowadays): why not???? I don't see a difference between that or anyone else who is testing the limit (speed runs, Duperbash-ing, running 16s on an RC).
I don't really know, it's just not my thing...same as how some guys don't like crawlers, boats or planes, I just don't get much enjoyment out of it. I know a big part of it is I grew up pretty poor, and although I can afford to do essentially whatever I want now, being poor ingrained in me to take really good care of everything I have, especially if it's expensive, and jumping something to the sky until it breaks is counter-intuitive to that and the whole idea is needlessly destructive to me. Another big part is my two favorite RC disciplines are crawling and racing touring cars, so that's what I spend most of my time doing. If I'm not competing, I view my driving time as practicing for competition (even if I'm just having fun on the trails, I'm still honing skills), or identifying what on a vehicle needs tuned or tweaked. When I "bash" my Arrma's, it's still usually on racetrack of some sort and they don't have any huge jumps. The kids are getting really into boats and planes, so their interest is really what keeps me interested in those vehicles, but the whole stunt thing just doesn't have a place in my arsenal, and when I've tried it out, it just wasn't exciting enough to keep my attention or make the destruction worthwhile.

Arrma still make parts for it? That's what I'm concerned with. I have enough extinct rc's in my collection.
At the moment there are still parts on horizon hobby for the nero. However, I am concerned about the future of the nero. The arrma co just removed the mention of arrma nero from their website completely.

I don't really know, it's just not my thing...same as how some guys don't like crawlers, boats or planes, I just don't get much enjoyment out of it. I know a big part of it is I grew up pretty poor, and although I can afford to do essentially whatever I want now, being poor ingrained in me to take really good care of everything I have, especially if it's expensive, and jumping something to the sky until it breaks is counter-intuitive to that and the whole idea is needlessly destructive to me. Another big part is my two favorite RC disciplines are crawling and racing touring cars, so that's what I spend most of my time doing. If I'm not competing, I view my driving time as practicing for competition (even if I'm just having fun on the trails, I'm still honing skills), or identifying what on a vehicle needs tuned or tweaked. When I "bash" my Arrma's, it's still usually on racetrack of some sort and they don't have any huge jumps. The kids are getting really into boats and planes, so their interest is really what keeps me interested in those vehicles, but the whole stunt thing just doesn't have a place in my arsenal, and when I've tried it out, it just wasn't exciting enough to keep my attention or make the destruction worthwhile.
Similar experience here. I've built the ramps,done the front and backflips, I get bored with it myself. Then there's the destruction that goes with it(which is not in my budget). Not my thing either. I'll let those with the desire to "jump the moon".✌
That's why crawlers are the best!
Perhaps one day I'll give it a go.

Last edited:
- Lights are overrated. I don't understand why so many people want to put LEDs on their RC. They just add more clutter and I'd hate having to deal with that. I'd probably put lights on a street basher I want to drive at night, but that's it.

I've gone on a few hiking trails at night using mojave with decent lighting. is fun, and kind of neat. I put lights on it specifically for lighting up dark. i agree with that's it. is neat having mobile land flashlight; 6s lol

one of the lights is in a aluminum U channel, is across front bumper of mojave and is surprisingly good for added strength of bumper. has held up to many hits and bumps. So I guess for me that lightbar is also bumper reinforcement

omg yes kits, and the perspective these are "models", or more specifically something built then used.

my unpopular opinion is REALLY liking caged RC's

first one I had was the Axial Exo Terra, awesome imo.

running them just with cage looks best imo. sure they get tons of crap inside but just need to roll it a few times :D
pretty sure one day will get fireteam cage for my mojave...

Last edited:
1) Well , if I had never bought that first RC Traxxas 4x4 VXL Stampede for my daughter , I wouldn't be here with you guys right now . After a couple Slashes and seeing what Arrma was , off they went . Still have an Xmaxx ( Arrma powered now LOL ) which without debate still to today is probably Traxxas best rc ever made . Took me a year of debating myself to get a Maxx , although some say the best ever , not for me , couldn't wait to get rid of it !!!! Because of my passion for SCT , got the UDR to offset my Mojave .

2) SCT , without doubt my favorite !!! Have 9 !!! Yes they do not handle well or fly good when jumping , but that's not the point with them . If you've read any of my comments or threads , my daughter and I race 2wd SCT indoor offroad carpet / turf . ( we have a 4wd also ) . I love the challenge of trying to dial in and drive a SCT fast and consistent . The class has been or now have died off with the buggies and stadium trucks . Most gave up easy on SCT's because of the ease of handling of buggies / stadium , but when you get a SCT to hang with / or pass those , they're like WTF ? LOL What most don't get in racing is the old saying " slower is faster ". Gotta say the racing aspect of it , 5-6 mains , running with 6-12 other SCT's , trying not to crash , avoid newbie drivers zig zagging all over the place , hitting your take off and landings , trying to be smooth but fast ,etc , whole different thing than bashing .

3) Crawlers , while I see them at my LHS on the crawler courses , I fully respect the time and effort and skill , I think it looks like a lot of fun , but not for me , I have to much going on in my life to venture into another spectrum of the hobby .

Wow , did I grow up around the corner from grihn in that same poor neighborhood ??? LOL While I can't really say I grew up poor , I really did not per say " have" . So now in life that I can " have" I keep very good care of all my stuff . So as he said about "send it " , while I do jump my bashers , I'm not out there to destroy them and intentionally bring them home broken . No concrete skate parks for me , but the nice grass fields , shut down golf course near me .
Also , as grihn mentioned about racing , as of recent , been having more fun going on practice days to run laps with a group of us that do SCT . Haven't touched my bashers since last November , .... really !! Other than half a battery pack the other night in the back yard with my Talion . Ughhh , the $$$ just sitting there .

There is no right or wrong , everybody has different flavors !!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back