Unpopular R/C Opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adiabatic

Doing it myself and doing myself in
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
1) Traxxas sucks. Not an unpopular opinion around here, but they're the best selling brand so definitely not held by a majority in the hobby as a whole. Don't think I need to go into why I think this with the crowd here, lol.

2) Short course trucks suck. They handle poorly on the ground and are the worst jumping platform of the off-road vehicles. Minimal air control and it's hard to get a good launch and landing even with a perfect approach because they have the aerodynamics of a kite. Scale realism is the only thing they have going for them over a buggy, truggy or MT.

3) Crawlers are boring. They're in the same class of activities as fishing and golf: Popular for reasons I have tried to understand but can't (Well, fishing only to an extent, it has cultural/evolutionary ties). This is the most subjective one so I won't try to rationalize it, just my preference.

What are yours?

Last edited:
1. While I do like Arrma more than Traxxas, I have to admit that my Maxx is the most durable car I’ve ever had.
2. I agree about SC trucks. But I understand why they’re good for racing - the tires are hidden and don’t rub against competitors.
3. Technical crawling sucks IMO. Boring. But I do like taking a crawler as a companion while hiking.

#2 - yeah, but SCTs do look cool while driving. But, yeah, bashing them gets boring quick. Can't jump them, can't do tall grass, limited on rough ground.... But I will say, on a track, they can be a blast. You just have to be willing to roll the big triple.

#1 - Not really. They offer a different flavor and help the hobby in general. Both have there ups and downs. Currently prefer the Arrma lineup.
#2 - Like a good SC. Good to mix it up from time to time (SC / Buggy / MT).
#3 - Not really my thing but seems like it could be interesting. Not really into the scale thing either. Speed runs and onroad will be my next venture to tackle.

Traxxas definitely has issues (they sue everybody, and their prices are high), but very few other manufacturers offer the selection of bashers, road cars, drag cars, and crawlers that Traxxas does. They cover most all markets, not just the bashing or high-speed, straight-line markets that Arrma does. And Traxxas parts support is second to none: it would be difficult to find a hobby or RC store that doesn't carry Traxxas parts.

I have five crawlers, but I use them primarily for trail running. It's a fun deviation from just plain walking.

#1-I am gravitating more towards Arrma for the overall experience. However I wouldn't go as far to say that Traxxas sucks all together. Sure, the company's marketing and "gotta use Traxxas stuff" is great for the company (hence their success), but it is not consumer friendly. I have the Slash 2wd and the Big Foot. I have ran the Slash, stock out of box, no upgrades or nothing, for over a year now, strictly on a short course dirt track with small to med jumps and it still runs like a champ. I never bash with it, got other rigs for that. (It will be getting upgrades very soon though. He deserves it!). I have Redcat, Traxxas and Arrma rigs. Will get a Losi and TC in the future just to try other brands. Love them all but as I said before, Arrma def is overall the best so far!

#2- I agree that they are no fun bashing, however they aren't made to bash.....they are a SCT. If you have a dirt track or access to one, racing SCTs is a freaking blast!!! They do only serve one purpose, so yea, wouldn't be for everyone I have 2 and want to get another for the track! (y)

#3-Never tried a crawler so can't comment. But I can see where it could get boring like golf. I like the idea of taking one hiking though.

As always, to each his own..as long as you are having fun, that's all that matters! :p

Great topics! :D Peace, Love & RCs!!! ✌️

lol, are you all missing the point? I hardcore disagree with 2 and 3, and there are a few good Traxxas models, but that's the whole point of this thread...so here are some opinions of my own that many will disagree with.

1) "Sending it" is the dumbest thing ever. A stupid phrase uttered by brain-dead douche-bros, and a senseless and destructive idea to begin with. In the realm of this hobby, what I really mean is, jumping your RC to the moon. It's fun for the first few times, but quickly gets old...every time I see someone jumping their RC way up in the air, I visualize them hopping up and down giggling and clapping like a toddler.

2) Speed running is a letdown. The chase is exciting...setting a goal and building up the rig to meet it...but the actual speed runs are not that exciting. You get none of the thrill via adrenaline that you get when going fast in a real car, and all of the built-up expectations developed when building your rig are just met with a feeling of "that's it?" The chase is far more exciting than actually achieving the goal.

3) Spektrum electronics aren't that bad. Yes, their servos suck. But the ESCs and motors are, on the whole, fine for what they're intended for. Yes, people have problems, and they're definitely general purpose electronic, but the "Spektrum sucks" trope is mostly just a bandwagon we're all excited to jump on (I've done it myself).

4) 1/10 Touring cars and Crawlers is where it's at. Huge amounts of skill needed to win touring car races and climb the steepest obstacles. Massive amounts of time, effort and thought go into building a winning rig, but the payoff is worth it. I can see how crawling can be boring to people who've never been into off-roading because you probably suck at it...the technical aspects of it arguably require the most skill and patience of any part of this hobby.

5) Going head-to-head with other drivers is 1000% more exciting than bashing around with your friends.

6) This forum gives a false idea of how the RC community really can be. There are just as many immature little a$$holes as there are in any other hobby, you just don't see many of them around the forum. I think it's probably because forum members are generally on the older and more mature side.

Last edited:
lol, are you all missing the point? I hardcore disagree with 2 and 3, and there are a few good Traxxas models, but that's the whole point of this thread...so here are some opinions of my own that many will disagree with.

1) "Sending it" is the dumbest thing ever. A stupid phrase uttered by brain-dead douche-bros, and a senseless and destructive idea to begin with. In the realm of this hobby, what I really mean is, jumping your RC to the moon. It's fun for the first few times, but quickly gets old...every time I see someone jumping their RC way up in the air, I visualize them hopping up and down giggling and clapping like a toddler.

2) Speed running a letdown. The chase is exciting...setting a goal and building up the rig to meet it...but the actual speed runs are not that exciting. You get none of the thrill via adrenaline that you get when going fast in a real car, and all of the built-up expectations developed when building your rig are just met with a feeling of "that's it?" The chase is far more exciting than actually achieving the goal.

3) Spektrum electronics aren't that bad. Yes, their servos suck. But the ESCs and motors are, on the whole, fine for what they're intended for. Yes, people have problems, and they're definitely general purpose electronic, but the "Spektrum sucks" trope is mostly just a bandwagon we're all excited to jump on (I've done it myself).

4) 1/10 Touring cars and Crawlers is where it's at. Huge amounts of skill needed to win touring car races and climb the steepest obstacles. Massive amounts of time, effort and thought go into building a winning rig, but the payoff is worth it. I can see how crawling can be boring to people who've never been into off-roading because you probably suck at it...the technical aspects of it arguably require the most skill and patience of any part of this hobby.

5) Going head-to-head with other drivers is 1000% more exciting than bashing around with your friends.

6) This forum gives a false idea of how the RC community really can be. There are just as many immature little a$$holes as there are in any other hobby, you just don't see many of them around the forum. I think it's probably because forum members are generally on the older and more mature side.

Well thought out post. I agree with most of it and you even said some things I quietly believe but wouldn't include in my post out of concern for being potentially too inflammatory. This is the sort of response I was hoping to get.

Any product line that has parts support gets a thumbs up in my book this could be OEM or aftermarket. But yeas all major companies like a Traxxas have there issues. Most of us here can say that Traxxas is the name that got us into the hobby so I try not to bash them to bad

SC are great if your racing other Sc truck but not fun when racing better build buggy’s and truggys

I love crawlers they are the most customizable rigs out there. But I also have a local crawler track and club 3mins from my house. Lots of other like minded people to crawl and compete with.

That is what I think helps in any r/c related style. Other people with other similar rigs to compare your rig and driving skills to

Planes
I just can’t get into lots of guys around me have them but I just can’t get into them

Boats
Look fun but I know electricity and water just don’t mix well so I just stay clear

Not sure if we're supposed to comment on OP's opinion or give our own unpopular opinions?
Most of my opinions aren't very popular... but I give em anyways!😉🍻
1) TRX sucks? Eh, I've been pretty harsh on them myself, namely due to their sue happy nature and high pricing(IMO)..but honestly they make a good product with good support and distribution like no other. So def some good can be said for them..as well as bad I guess. Thanks to TRX, I'll never own a Nero🤬..
Arrma on the other hand has been great for me. Thankfully they offer the rollers, lord knows I don't need ANOTHER rtr radio!!🤣🤣 I'm sure many here can agree..
2) SCT's suck? Not for me they don't. The Mojave is my first foray into the sct/desert truck segment.. and I'm totally hooked!! My brother and I race each other on a track at my house. We have nearly a dozen rigs each and we have a blast. I wish he would get an sct type so I could really beat his doors in without fear of one of us getting launched into the trees!!🤣🤣
3) Crawlers? Love em'!! Especially when they help me catch a football sized small mouth!!😁🍻 You did mean night crawlers no? Just kiddin'! I have no experience with them..they don't really grab my attention like a basher or racer. Guess I'm more of a speed junkie, fishtailin', jump it type..

2) Speed running a letdown. The chase is exciting...setting a goal and building up the rig to meet it...but the actual speed runs are not that exciting. You get none of the thrill via adrenaline that you get when going fast in a real car, and all of the built-up expectations developed when building your rig are just met with a feeling of "that's it?" The chase is far more exciting than actually achieving the goal.

Agreed on all points👌..but yeah, we're all('cept @grihn ) missing the point🤣🤣
I'll add to the unpopular opinion..
A 6s rig needs a big can motor.. I don't care for driving my kraton nearly as much with a 4092/4985 as I did with a 4274..sure it's faster,but unless I'm running a wide open area it's just not that enjoyable to me. Then, the driveline pretty much always needs upgrades to handle the power..
It's just a vicious cycle IMO with no end..Hey, you asked😉🍻

Last edited:
1) every time I see someone jumping their RC way up in the air, I visualize them hopping up and down giggling and clapping like a toddler.

1- And that's exactly how I feel every time I do it 😂😂🤣🤘

I can get behind the rest of what you said though.

Especially the thrill of racing. Even just screwing around casually with some jumps and soccer cones with some buddies can be an absolute blast.

Wish I had a real track closer. When I was a kid my first hobby style rc was an xmod from radio shack. I mowed lawns for money and bought 10 rolls of ductape and some pvc pipe and made a 1/28 touring car track in the basement. Racing friends was some of the best times in rc I've had period.

Edit: I'll add one
The 6s line is more beginner friendly than the 3s line. In fact the 3s and 4s line would be better off as 2s vehicles if anything. Yes the cost of entry is higher for 6s but that's it. 🤷

No slipper to contend with, no wheels falling out because of shoddily designed drive shafts. No U joints to pop out. No plastic spurs to shatter the first time you tumble without something extra securing your motor in place because the stock plate is made out of tin foil. No shocks exploding all over the road because the rod ends are simply GLUED in. Btw This can all take place on your first 3s run.

Where as a 6s..oh no I have to put 1 washer next to a gear that takes 4-6 screws to get into oh no. 🙄

Can't even say the power is too much when a 6s can run a single 3s pack at 50% power with the rtr radios they come with.

If it wasn't for this awesome forum and my nature to obsessively research things before I go in to it, a 3s arrma would have greatly soured my experience with the hobby.

Last edited:

6) This forum gives a false idea of how the RC community really can be. There are just as many immature little a$$holes as there are in any other hobby, you just don't see
1) Traxxas sucks. Not an unpopular opinion around here, but they're the best selling brand so definitely not held by a majority in the hobby as a whole. Don't think I need to go into why I think this with the crowd here, lol.

2) Short course trucks suck. They handle poorly on the ground and are the worst jumping platform of the off-road vehicles. Minimal air control and it's hard to get a good launch and landing even with a perfect approach because they have the aerodynamics of a kite. Scale realism is the only thing they have going for them over a buggy, truggy or MT.

3) Crawlers are boring. They're in the same class of activities as fishing and golf: Popular for reasons I have tried to understand but can't (Well, fishing only to an extent, it has cultural/evolutionary ties). This is the most subjective one so I won't try to rationalize it, just my preference.

What are yours?
@Synchronicity comments
1. Generally agree but sucks is relative to your experience with them, I have a Drag Slash and its a toy compared to any Arrma I drag with. The TRX6 is about the most capable crawler you can get RTR (stop now crawler people, I said RTR😂)
2. I'm just not that into them, appearance is the major factor, just an amorphous blob somewhat resembling a truck, on a dirt track they are fun but like you said, mostly meh at anything else.
3. Crawling is very fun unless you're just crawling along in the grass or on the sidewalk, if you have the terrain or the room to set up a course, they are very fun and I might add a great way to introduce RC's to young children without the risk of them taking you out at the shins.

@grihn comments
1. LOL, don't disagree, fun a few times then meh for me
3. 100% agree, the I hate Spektrum movement is massively overblown, but I get great cheap parts because people insist on Mamba and Castle, works out fine for me.👏🏼
5. This is what I love about Drag RC, head to head, a bunch of people, quick heats keeps everybody involved and entertained.
6. All forums

Mine:
1. Enough with the shoe goo and drywall tape, it was originally just for repairs, not the whole body when it's new.
2. Cheaper is not Best, although it can be, it usually is not. Other side of the coin, The most expensive is not always the best either, you've got to wade through many opinions on each side of the spectrum to find what's best for YOU.
3. No, you don't need to completely disassemble a brand new car to "go through it". Put some batteries in drive, its not cherished heirloom brought over on the Mayflower, enjoy it, if it breaks, fix it.
4. No, you don't need an inventory of back up parts on hand in case something breaks, stop wasting money on something you might need, unless you're a doomsday prepper, then yeah do that but generally speaking it's my opinion that RC cars will not be heavily used in an apocalypse.
5. Buy the cheapest Lipos you can find and beat them to hell and prepare for fire, otherwise the Lipo bags and boxes are overdone.

Notes:
All of mine are shots fired for some folks here, don't get upset, I still like you even if you hate me. I take my own opinions with a grain of salt😂

@Synchronicity comments
1. Generally agree but sucks is relative to your experience with them, I have a Drag Slash and its a toy compared to any Arrma I drag with. The TRX6 is about the most capable crawler you can get RTR (stop now crawler people, I said RTR😂)
2. I'm just not that into them, appearance is the major factor, just an amorphous blob somewhat resembling a truck, on a dirt track they are fun but like you said, mostly meh at anything else.
3. Crawling is very fun unless you're just crawling along in the grass or on the sidewalk, if you have the terrain or the room to set up a course, they are very fun and I might add a great way to introduce RC's to young children without the risk of them taking you out at the shins.

@grihn comments
1. LOL, don't disagree, fun a few times then meh for me
3. 100% agree, the I hate Spektrum movement is massively overblown, but I get great cheap parts because people insist on Mamba and Castle, works out fine for me.👏🏼
5. This is what I love about Drag RC, head to head, a bunch of people, quick heats keeps everybody involved and entertained.
6. All forums

Mine:
1. Enough with the shoe goo and drywall tape, it was originally just for repairs, not the whole body when it's new.
2. Cheaper is not Best, although it can be, it usually is not. Other side of the coin, The most expensive is not always the best either, you've got to wade through many opinions on each side of the spectrum to find what's best for YOU.
3. No, you don't need to completely disassemble a brand new car to "go through it". Put some batteries in drive, its not cherished heirloom brought over on the Mayflower, enjoy it, if it breaks, fix it.
4. No, you don't need an inventory of back up parts on hand in case something breaks, stop wasting money on something you might need, unless you're a doomsday prepper, then yeah do that but generally speaking it's my opinion that RC cars will not be heavily used in an apocalypse.
5. Buy the cheapest Lipos you can find and beat them to hell and prepare for fire, otherwise the Lipo bags and boxes are overdone.

Notes:
All of mine are shots fired for some folks here, don't get upset, I still like you even if you hate me. I take my own opinions with a grain of salt😂
Well done Sir.
Or shall I say, Well said Sir? IDK, this shoe goo really got ahold of me🤪🤣

6 months ago I’d agree crawlers didn’t seem fun until I got one. Lucky enough to have rock heaven on the coast tho

008DA34E-B549-4139-B810-2863A29C97A6.jpeg

1) I'm hearing "blah blah blah my opinion is better than yours because of reasons...." :D

2) I think this forum is great because it does two things, joins people through a common love for the hobby, and simultaneously brings people together that have different opinions and thoughts which then fosters creativity, innovation, learning, all that good stuff.

3) I have a come back to each and every # you wrote above, but in the end I don't think it matters, because it goes back to my #2. Even if I disagree with almost everything you wrote, i still think it's cool that I can learn from and connect to similar RC enthusiasts like myself. It's nice to get opposing opinions, and that's what challenges me to explore something outside of what I thought i knew.

4) but for real, your #1 is totally wrong. Just SEND IT!!!!! :ROFLMAO:

Strongly agree with 1-3, tentatively agree with 4 but I think it largely depends on how many cars you have and how readily available parts are. I don't have any well-stocked hobby shops nearby so I like to be my own LHS for the few cars I own and make big online orders once in a while to stock up on parts, some of which I probably won't need but it keeps downtime to a minimum and additive shipping costs low.

On 5 I agree with the first part. It's not worth buying expensive LiPos and they should be considered disposable as they're not likely to last long in this application, but I take fire risk seriously and recommend a Bat-Safe or similar solution to everyone who can't charge outside or in a fire-resistant structure.

Another perhaps unpopular opinion: People can have heated arguments and disagreements with others they like and respect without it changing the nature of the relationship. Like you I don't hate any of the people who may dislike me for the things I have posted or the way I have engaged. Not worth getting upset or holding grudges with people on a toy car forum.

I never send mine, but I love to watch others do it. some folks have mad talent in the sending department. It's like watching BMX freestyle only with RC's

I've never owned a Traxxas, seen a few I wouldn't mind giving a try though. Really can't comment on them other than their corporate lawyers are a little trigger happy.

Short course trucks are a freakin' blast if you have the right terrain for them. Love my Mojave. Anything that makes me smile this much can't suck!

Never thought I would become a Crawler junkie but I did. I can't get enough. Just fun in a whole different way.

One thing I will say, RC's are fun whether you like to fly solo or with your posse. It's up to each individual to decide what they like and how they like to do it. There is no right or wrong way if your having fun.

The ones I don't understand are the folks who live vicariously through youtuber's and the "popular kids" and parrot everything they see, they are not really enjoying the hobby.

Get out and try different things, you never know what's going to tickle your fancy. (y)

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back