Senton Water intrusion into receiver box

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowStorm

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
In a teardown to replace the ESC, I found a good amount of water in the receiver box. Besides now being unsure if the ESC is the actual issue, Im wondering if this is a known issue or if I did something wrong when I replaced the servo. It does seem like a lot of wires crammed into that tiny little U shape seal. It was last ran in damp dirt and then gently washed with a hose as the manual states. Is there a way to waterproof the receiver itself?

Put marine grease around the edges if your going to be running in water helps seal it also check to see if the screws that hold the top on are stripped
Oh, marine grease is an awesome idea. I was thinking a light silicone covering but thatd be a pain to take back apart. Ill give it a shot, thank you

don't submerge or run ur rc in water. Thats just so bad. Sure it’s cool. But goodluck cleaning it
It’s fine to submerge as long as you maintain it and dry it when your done and not let it sit in water for long periods of time

Did you kink the gasket inside the lid!?
Actually I think I mighta messed up the lid of the radio box. It doesn't sit flush in all the corners for whatever reason

0507231313_HDR.jpg

0507231313a_HDR.jpg

It’s fine to submerge as long as you maintain it and dry it when your done and not let it sit in water for long periods of time
Thats like a 3-4 hour job minimum. I don't believe in compressed air to fully dry ur rc. Like threads and hinge pins for example ur not drying that i can confirm you same for the inside of the bearings. My only rc i drive trought water is my notorious with stainless steel bearings and a lot of dry/silicone lube before and after the run. Its a pita

Last edited:
It's important to understand that RC cars perform best when driving them on a dry hard part of the Earth's surface. They are not meant for lakes, rivers, oceans or retention ponds. Rc boats perform best in these environments. Do not pressure wash your rc car over 2600 psi or you might damage it or blow it through your neighbors window.

I run my rigs in water, I mean no major lakes or rivers but def have had them in the rain and drenched!! 😬
My old truck I ran through everything, put big paddle tires on it and tried to hydroplane it across a foot deep puddle. Just made sure I had a spare set of bearings whenever I did, but it was also an HPI jumpshot with the twin vertical plate chassis, water wasnt hard to get out.

With the ESC mounted on the lid of the sealed receiver box and increasing it’s temperature, there is a good possibility a slight amount of inside condensation (or sweating) may be occurring, especially in wet conditions. I discovered my Mojave had a small amount of moisture inside the receiver box after burning about 30 laps around a 1/2 mile (per scale) dirt track with 3” of slushy snow. That was a rush! I discovered ‘condensation’ inside my receiver box during teardown after properly cleaning/drying. On the last lap, I blew a corner, ripped out our 6 foot inflatable ‘frosty the snowman’ and then center struck a tree. Cold temp impact resulted in a cracked front diff and is why I was in the receiver box, which I siliconed after electronics installation.

In a teardown to replace the ESC, I found a good amount of water in the receiver box. Besides now being unsure if the ESC is the actual issue, Im wondering if this is a known issue or if I did something wrong when I replaced the servo. It does seem like a lot of wires crammed into that tiny little U shape seal. It was last ran in damp dirt and then gently washed with a hose as the manual states. Is there a way to waterproof the receiver itself?
-In all the years doing RC, I never saw one Rx box that was truly waterproof. They will all take on water and moisture. Is what it is. Unless you permanantly seal it with GE silicone or similar. Not practical. You need access to the Rx.

- I never run any of my stuff in the wet , snow or mud if I can absolutely help it. It will ruin all the electrics, BB's etc. Rust out the screws.....

My slow Crawlers however, I do run them wet and can get away with it to some extent. Running cheaper brushed motors, SS BB's and alI. I use conformal coating on the Rx's PCB etc. I make a drain hole in the bottom of the Rx box for moisture relief and drainage, etc.
Just Not with my fast basher rigs however. Been there.
Most Rx's claim to be Water resistant. They are not. The PCB will still corrode if the Rx box takes on moisture/water and is never aired out/opened and dried out immediately between bashing sessions.
Govern yourself accordingly. :cool:

Last edited:
Oh, marine grease is an awesome idea. I was thinking a light silicone covering but thatd be a pain to take back apart. Ill give it a shot, thank you
A Silicone grease is usually recommended. It is safer on the Rubber seal that is already there on the cover. Silicone grease also has Dielectric Properties and quite waterproof. Won't wash away as easily. Makes more sense around electrical signal wiring.
Pay very close attention to where the Wires exit the Rx. Box. This is usually where 99% of the water ingress occurs.:cool: I usually add additional foam rubber to make the wires better sealed entering/exiting the Rx box. Some silicone grease at this areas also helps much. Traxxas recommends this with their Rx boxes and the wires exiting from it.
From my experience.
If you submarine the whole chassis, water will always get in there no matter what you do, IMHO. In this case you simply have to open the Rx box and dry out all. A PIA, IMO.
You can only try and make the Rx box more splash proof if anything. Not 100% waterproof.

>>Silicone conformal coating brushed onto the Receiver's PCB, by removing it from its case, is the best insurance against water corrosion damage. Just don't put it on the mechanical "bind button", if so equipped. Or the Bind button switch will essentially be glued in place. Avoid that. Brush onto the top and bottom of the PCB completely. 2 layers. several minutes apart is best. Let dry for several hours before placing it back in its case. Most Rx's claiming to be waterproof, are done this way at the factory, however Brushing on an added layer or two, for best coverage works best. The factory falls short on this. It is tedious work done correctly. But really does work. I do this with all my wet running Crawlers.
This truly works if willing to go the extra mile.

This below is what I use. The price has doubled in the past 6 years. Like everything else. Seems expensive, but it does last quite awhile. Will absolutely spare your Rx's from corrosion. I have a bottle lasting me 6+ years now.
When done, best to store the bottle upside down. So the cap doesn't get stuck to the glass bottle. Use good ventilation when using this. It will get you high and dizzy.;)

https://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-Silicone-Conformal-Coating/dp/B085G42TGS/ref=sr_1_1?crid=186J3AC5DNRKE&keywords=silicone+conformal+coating.&qid=1696354541&sprefix=silicone+conformal+coating.,aps,100&sr=8-1

Good luck.

Edited.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back