Mojave What’s the best RC desert truck?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avyn Nix

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
As the title says I’m looking at possible desert truck options.

Arrma Mojave $630
Losi Baja Rey $500
Losi Super Baja Rey 2.0 $970
Traxxas UDR $700

I’ve heard the traxxas Udr is the most realistic but the Mojave the most durable but I have a Losi ten scte in the past and was very impressed. My only turn of to the Losi sbr 2.0 is its 8s lipo and I have 2s and 6s which works will all my other choices. I have a kraton already which is the same platform as the Mojave. What do y’all think?

I would go super Baja Rey if I had the money but that’s just my take
I here ya there but I’m gonna be $1000+ with battery’s and just having to charge one battery is so much more practical for me.

Last edited:
I like the Super Baja Rey due to it's size & realism, it's one of the few trucks that'll actually make a Mojave look small. What I don't like about the Losi trucks are the paneled & caged body systems. The Rock Rey is alot of panels and screws, and batteries load from the bottom. You can't just slide off 4 body pins and access the guts like you can with the Mojave. Makes it more of a pain to work on. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think it's as bad with the Super Baja Rey, as that body is mostly just one large piece. This is Arrma forums afterall, so most of your votes will probably go to the Mojave. But if you don't mind those few nuisances, I'd go Super Baja Rey. Just my .02

I like the Super Baja Rey due to it's size & realism, it's one of the few trucks that'll actually make a Mojave look small. What I don't like about the Losi trucks are the paneled & caged body systems. The Rock Rey is alot of panels and screws, and batteries load from the bottom. You can't just slide off 4 body pins and access the guts like you can with the Mojave. Makes it more of a pain to work on. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think it's as bad with the Super Baja Rey, as that body is mostly just one large piece. This is Arrma forums afterall, so most of your votes will probably go to the Mojave. But if you don't mind those few nuisances, I'd go Super Baja Rey. Just my .02
For sure just looking for something a little more realistic and scale, I’m so used to always sending it and when it goes bad it can cost a lot. The only thing that turns me off the Losi sbr besides the batteries, it’s size I’m not alway driving in an open area but I’d love to have a big rig like that but the cost is so much more than other options, just haven’t convinced myself to drop 1k on an RC.

For sure just looking for something a little more realistic and scale, I’m so used to always sending it and when it goes bad it can cost a lot. The only thing that turns me off the Losi sbr besides the batteries, it’s size I’m not alway driving in an open area but I’d love to have a big rig like that but the cost is so much more than other options, just haven’t convinced myself to drop 1k on an RC.
You can always wait around for a used SBR to show up on Ebay. But based on your other criteria, I'd say you might be better off with a Mojave. they're not too big or small, they're actually faster than the SBR, they're friggin tanks, it costs less, and the parts availability is second to none.

You can always wait around for a used SBR to show up on Ebay. But based on your other criteria, I'd say you might be better off with a Mojave. they're not too big or small, they're actually faster than the SBR, they're friggin tanks, it costs less, and the parts availability is second to none.
Ok I like the durability of the 6s line but how is the Losi Baja rey and traxxas Udr for durable I’ve heard the Baja rey is great for durability because it’s only 6.1lbs but it does get bounced around a bit more because of that.

Ok I like the durability of the 6s line but how is the Losi Baja rey and traxxas Udr for durable I’ve heard the Baja rey is great for durability because it’s only 6.1lbs but it does get bounced around a bit more because of that.
I've heard the Losi is a very durable machine, but I haven't owned either so I can't give you a true idea of reliability. I can tell you that the UDR is also a pain to work on due to all the paneling & cages. I do own a Mojave, I've had to replace a shock tower due to driver error & both front and rear diffs. I prefer to take it out when running in large open fields. For light/medium duty bashing I'll just grab the Kraton due to it's higher ground clearance.

I've heard the Losi is a very durable machine, but I haven't owned either so I can't give you a true idea of reliability. I can tell you that the UDR is also a pain to work on due to all the paneling & cages. I do own a Mojave, I've had to replace a shock tower due to driver error & both front and rear diffs. I prefer to take it out when running in large open fields. For light/medium duty bashing I'll just grab the Kraton due to it's higher ground clearance.
They’re all great options but I feel like the Baja Rey won’t handle as well because it won’t be as planted due to weight. But the price is quite convincing at $200 cheaper that the Udr.

The Losi SBR and SRR are super cool, if only it was ‘t for their wrenchability and battery compartments.
The Kraton is not on the same platform as the Mojave, unless you made a XLWB Kraton🤷‍♂️.
The UDR has an even more plush suspension compared to the Mojave.

Depends what you‘re really looking for really.

Arrma Mojave $630
Losi Baja Rey $500
Traxxas UDR $700

I’ve heard the traxxas Udr is the most realistic but the Mojave the most durable but I have a Losi ten scte in the past and was very impressed. My only turn of to the Losi sbr 2.0 is its 8s lipo and I have 2s and 6s which works will all my other choices. I have a kraton already which is the same platform as the Mojave. What do y’all think?
I really wanted a SBR but before I got one I had the opportunity to fix one for a friend. After working on it…nope. An absolute PITA to work on, takes forever to get a million screws out of everything to open up the innards. And the battery door would jam so badly we’d have to pry it open every time it needed a new pack. I got a DBXL-E instead.
I do really like them, and the UDR as well, but I own neither so can’t speak to the UDR. I love my Mojave, but I get that they are not the same as the other two desert trucks that offer a very scale driving experience.

I really wanted a SBR but before I got one I had the opportunity to fix one for a friend. After working on it…nope. An absolute PITA to work on, takes forever to get a million screws out of everything to open up the innards. And the battery door would jam so badly we’d have to pry it open every time it needed a new pack. I got a DBXL-E instead.
I do really like them, and the UDR as well, but I own neither so can’t speak to the UDR. I love my Mojave, but I get that they are not the same as the other two desert trucks that offer a very scale driving experience.
This.
I really think Losi shot themselves in the foot with those 2 design flaws in the SBR (The panels & screws/battery compartment). If it weren't for those 2 areas, I think the SBR would've been the king of desert trucks. They're awesome performers, but when it's time to wrench....oh boyyyy 🤦‍♂️

The SBR and UDR are great conversation shelf art. That’s about where the comparison ends, performance and durability are subjective and on equal playing fields Arrma’s basher design will triumph.

If it weren't for those 2 areas, I think the SBR would've been the king of desert trucks.
100% ☝️ That SBR was one of coolest freaking rigs I’ve ever seen or driven, it was nothing short of fantastic and amazing on every level. I was just afraid I’d get way too lazy on the maintenance because of the difficulty of disassembly/reassembly. And yes, that goddamned battery door…

Arrma Mojave $630
Losi Baja Rey $500
Traxxas UDR $700

From my observations, the realism is really in the UDR, but for bashing and things not so much. The Mojave is decent but personally if I had the money the Baja Rey would be the one.

From my observations, the realism is really in the UDR, but for bashing and things not so much. The Mojave is decent but personally if I had the money the Baja Rey would be the one.
The super Baja rey 1/6 or the 1/10 baja rey?
100% ☝️ That SBR was one of coolest freaking rigs I’ve ever seen or driven, it was nothing short of fantastic and amazing on every level. I was just afraid I’d get way too lazy on the maintenance because of the difficulty of disassembly/reassembly. And yes, that goddamned battery door…

I might keep my eye out for a used SRB. There’s one for $800 on eBay right now with low use.

The super Baja rey 1/6 or the 1/10 baja rey?

I might keep my eye out for a used SRB. There’s one for $800 on eBay right now with low use.
I think it is a matter of budget and preference for use. A few questions I would heavily consider. Are you going to race it? Is it for bashing? Is it for realism? Are you allowed to drive it on your local track if you get the larger scale one? Is your budget way up there for the bigger ones?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back