Kraton What Do I Gotta Do To Get A Pinion Gear To Last!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
I’m a year into this new hobby and I’ve pretty much been having a blast. The one issue I’m having is having to reinstall pinion gears, I‘ve had to do this numerous times. When I’ve asked before a lot of the comments I’ve gotten was to ditch the Arrma pinions. I’ve ditched the Arrma’s and went with the e-clipless 12T Tekno’s.

I’ve cleaned the grub screws with brake cleaner, I’ve also cleaned the pinion hole with a q-tip soaked with brake cleaner, I started using red loctite and had it sit 48 hours. After one full pack, JUST ONE PACK! Yes, the pinion gear came free once again.

It’s the stock motor and ESC I’m running so it’s not that I’m running anything crazy power wise. I followed proper mechanical procedures as best I could I’m still frequently having problems.

Last edited:
try some green thread lock on the motor shaft, but beware that if it stays you'll need heat to remove it.

Strange. I’ve never had pinion problems after I started cleaning the pinion first with a interdental brush with alcohol and 48hr curing of the blue locktite. You could also grind the back of the grub screw a little bit so it has more contact witht the motor shaft. This should not be necessary though unless you got a ‘bad’ grub screw and the back looks uneven.

Did you check if you motor bearings are still OK? If not there me be play in the bearing(s) resulting of the motor shaft pushing against the spur gear at certain positions of the motor shaft (mesh too tight).

i don't even clean mine and still don't have problems. I think you're just not tightening it enough. On the flip side, I've stripped multiple grub screws but I've been a bit better with it lately. You definitely start to get a feel for it.

What Do I Gotta Do To Get A Pinion Gear To Last!?​

What do you mean? Are they coming loose or are they just wearing quicker than you think they should. Your post does not tell us what your problem is. Why do you have to re-install them?

If it's coming loose, file a small flatspot onto the motor shaft where the grub screw sits when it's tightened if it doesn't have one?

You could also grind the back of the grub screw a little bit so it has more contact witht the motor shaft.
This is something I haven’t tried.
Did you check if you motor bearings are still OK?
Could you dumb this down a touch?
I think you're just not tightening it enough.
IMG_2576.gif

What do you mean? Are they coming loose or are they just wearing quicker than you think they should.
Grub screws and e-clips are coming loose causing pinions to fall free.
If it's coming loose, file a small flatspot onto the motor shaft where the grub screw sits when it's tightened if it doesn't have one?
Motor shaft has a flat spot.

Last edited:
I’m a year into this new hobby and I’ve pretty much been having a blast. The one issue I’m having is having to reinstall pinion gears, I‘ve had to do this numerous times. When I’ve asked before a lot of the comments I’ve gotten was to ditch the Arrma pinions. I’ve ditched the Arrma’s and went with the e-clipless 12T Tekno’s.

I’ve cleaned the grub screws with brake cleaner, I’ve also cleaned the pinion hole with a q-tip soaked with brake cleaner, I started using red loctite and had it sit 48 hours. After one full pack, JUST ONE PACK! Yes, the pinion gear came free once again.

It’s the stock motor and ESC I’m running so it’s not that I’m running anything crazy power wise. I followed proper mechanical procedures as best I could I’m still frequently having problems.
Proper mesh is I would say one of the most important thing to preserving that pinnion.

I do the typical red TL..I also use a small dab of super glue on shaft to gear on flat spot..I've had the come off to many times on speedcars..never ends well...if I don't use the SG it'll come off...when it's time to remove gear flathead will knock glue off in 1 peice will Lil tapping an gear comes right off..I won't run a car without doing this..sometimes I forget to an it'll come loose..on speedcars it's a must cause gears get changed so much

Proper mesh is I would say one of the most important thing to preserving that pinnion.
This is a great point and something I forgot to mention. A too tight mesh will definitely help take the pinion off.

Buy saga gears from sagarc...I run low voltage gear mesh loose for less resistance 4s an 8000w 130+mph saga gears won't round off or destroy teeth..saw tony ingalls run 184 mph an when he lifted tracer sparks where fly off his gears similar to machine gun tracers..I was completely blown away...his car puts out 45hp..he runs saga only..best steel avaliable. Lots of research went into the strongest metal compound available..no other gear could take Tony's car..want longevity ..promise you won't strip 1 unless completely ignorant meshed

This is a great point and something I forgot to mention. A too tight mesh will definitely help take the pinion off.
Yup 👍 we can all buy a expensive high quality pinnion gear and make sure it's secure on the motor shaft but when it comes down to it ,you can have it to tight and say good bye to all them teeth and most likely fk your spur also ..👍😁
That could vary well be the problem, I’ve been setting up the mesh with the slightest amount of play but made sure there was in fact some play.
Nothing wrong with doing a run and checking them teeth after.see if they are ok.if they are then great .go play .but if you see some wearing down happening then it's time to pull that pinnion back some .

I have no idea where I pick this up but it works. Get one of those plastic bags your parts came in originally and stick it between your pinion and spur gear. Squeeze everything together and tighten down your mesh adjust screws. Pull the bag out, you now have near perfect gear mesh.

That could vary well be the problem, I’ve been setting up the mesh with the slightest amount of play but made sure there was in fact some play.

You also have to rotate the spur a full 360 and check every couple of teeth. The spur and pinion gears aren’t perfectly round.

never had any trouble with pinion gears coming loose all i do is put a bit of blue threadlocker on the shaft and on the screw and a small bit on the threads

I've never had one come loose.. I tighten the grubs with an L wrench and use the long side to crank it as hard as it will go without stripping it... I've had buddies use hand drivers and think they were tight... then have them come off... Not enough torque with just a handle..

The L wrenches I use are long ones from snap on.. just what I have.. if I'm not careful its pretty easy to bend the motor shafts... then you will get tight-loose-tight-loose etc when you rotate the gears 360 degrees...

Probably overkill but I've had too many pinions come loose and ruin a bash.

Firstly, use flat bottomed grub screws. If yours are pointed you can file/grind them down. Then I soak the pinion and grub screw in isopropyl alcohol before running a cotton wool bud down the threaded hole until they come out clean, then clean the motor shaft with iso. I then install the pinion, and using green stud lock I'll drop it directly into the threaded hole. When you tighten the grub screw it will ooze into the space between the pinion and the shaft.

I'll then set the mesh, and turn it to find the tightest point and check.

I'm yet to have one come loose since I started doing them like that. A bit harder to get off, but nothing 10 seconds with a small torch doesn't solve.

Probably overkill but I've had too many pinions come loose and ruin a bash.

Firstly, use flat bottomed grub screws. If yours are pointed you can file/grind them down. Then I soak the pinion and grub screw in isopropyl alcohol before running a cotton wool bud down the threaded hole until they come out clean, then clean the motor shaft with iso. I then install the pinion, and using green stud lock I'll drop it directly into the threaded hole. When you tighten the grub screw it will ooze into the space between the pinion and the shaft.

I'll then set the mesh, and turn it to find the tightest point and check.

I'm yet to have one come loose since I started doing them like that. A bit harder to get off, but nothing 10 seconds with a small torch doesn't solve.
The Tekno comes with a cupped grub.

First you need to run a bigger pinion. A 12 tooth is too small for even stock electronics. Go up to a 14 and you will have more steel to strengthen the pinion. Plus the bigger pinion you have the more teeth engage with the spur. I run 1650kv motors with 22tooth pinions. I also run an all stock Fireteam with 14 tooth and it hasn’t overheated. I did upgrade both fans to aluminum 35mm

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back