What is your thoughts on the spektrum motors/esc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe Firma's are way down the HW/OE chain and have bare bones circuitry and components to meet The contracted pricepoint.
Are these Firma's actually coming from a HW plant? Maybe that is an assumption.
The Arrma ESC were HW's, and stamped HW if looked hard enough.

I have had two Spektrum 150 catch fire now and they were both in the latest arrma 6s cars I bought (new)
Infraction V2 Less than 20 battery runs
IMG_0262.JPG

IMG_0316.JPG
Talion EXB under 50 battery runs but mainly on 4s
IMG_0316.JPG

IMG_0317.JPG

I question why Spektrum put a cap pack on most of their Firma ESC's. Not a good sign if you ask me. I feel it was to address a post design flaw caught in testing maybe, a last minute production change? The 3 surface mounted caps within those ESC's are already in place. Why the extra caps? And poorly soldered no less with thinner wiring that melts from heat. Cap packs should have the same guage as the +/-power leads. I think it was a bandaid for a bad engineering design. Maybe the Firmas are very inefficient and ripple was all over the place? A band-aid for Poor quality components etc? My spin.

Last edited:
I question why Spektrum put a cap pack on most of their Firma ESC's. Not a good sign if you ask me. I feel it was to address a post design flaw caught in testing maybe, a last minute production change? The 3 surface mounted caps within those ESC's are already in place. Why the extra caps? And poorly soldered no less with thinner wiring that melts from heat. Cap packs should have the same guage as the +/-power leads. I think it was a bandaid for a bad engineering design. Maybe the Firmas are very inefficient and ripple was all over the place? A band-aid for Poor quality components etc? My spin.
The Max8 comes with a cap pack just like the Firma escs, not sure if the Torox comes with one or not though.

The Max8 comes with a cap pack just like the Firma escs, not sure if the Torox comes with one or not though.
It comes with an uninstalled cap pack if I am correct. Meaning it is optional.:unsure:

It comes with an uninstalled cap pack if I am correct. Meaning it is optional.:unsure:
This is what the manual says in regards to the cap pack.

Unw5346tedstrdgfled.jpg

There was a guy about 2-3 weeks ago who had his Max8 go up in smoke in his Kraton EXB(might have been a Notorious) and he didn't have the cap pack installed.

^^^(y)
Yes I have read this exact manual before. They were too lazy to install the Cap pack during Mfr. IMHO. Manual sounds more like a liability disclamer than anything else.
In essence HW is saying you are better off with a Max6 "Instead". Telling you that you bought the wrong ESC??? The Cap pack for the Max 8 is the bandaid because you should have got a Max 6?? What a laugh. Need to measure temps of the on board caps, If running 6s and exceeds 85c??????
Then Need the cap pack?
Sounds like a very inefficient ESC to me for its intended application.
My interpretation. Reading between the lines here.:cool:
Why doesn;t HW use 3 $Better$ embedded caps??? Who nows why not? They just didn't.

Edit: Speed running is the exception (HW ESC's) Need a hardcore cap pack.
Fried, torched, ESC's are not always due to Cap issues or lack of an aux cap pack. IMHO. Could be one of the many reasons. Just not a definitive reason why.
I say largely because of FET issues and poor QC during Mfr. Poor HS/ FET contact being one of them. FETS cause fire most of the time. A failing Fet thermal cut is one example. Slow to respond to a Thermal cut. A legitimately Failed cap will pop. Clearly visible. I have never seen most of my fried ESC's caps popped. That's a fail safe in and of itself.
Having disected many Bricked ESC's.
I'm open to other's ideas on this.:)

Last edited:
^^^(y)
Yes I have read this exact manual before. They were too lazy to install the Cap pack during Mfr. IMHO. Manual sounds more like a liability disclamer than anything else.
In essence HW is saying you are better off with a Max6 "Instead". Telling you that you bought the wrong ESC??? The Cap pack for the Max 8 is the bandaid because you should have got a Max 6?? What a laugh. Need to measure temps of the on board caps, If running 6s and exceeds 85c??????
Then Need the cap pack?
Sounds like a very inefficient ESC to me for its intended application.
My interpretation. Reading between the lines here.:cool:
Why doesn;t HW use 3 $Better$ embedded caps??? Who nows why not? They just didn't.

Edit: Speed running is the exception (HW ESC's) Need a hardcore cap pack.
Fried, torched, ESC's are not always due to Cap issues or lack of an aux cap pack. IMHO. Could be one of many reasons. Just not a definitive reason why.

I think when they originally designed the Max8 they had intended it to go in 1/8 buggies, 1/8 truggies and vehicles like the E-Revo and Summit. I don't think they ever intended it to be used in vehicles that weigh 10lbs+ dry, so like you were getting at rather than redesign the esc they stuck the cap pack in as a band aide. This is all just my theory though.

Last edited:
I got you 100%. All speculation, yet based on hard experience. The weight of rigs these days have become so bloated. Unlike years ago when RC rigs were lean and light. Seems like to run 4s you need a 6s ESC, to run 6s you need an 8s ESC. In this way, More Amp overhead allows them to run cooler and more efficiently.

I would really like to see new escs and motors from both Hobbywing and Castle, we need 6s escs and motors that can actually hold up and supply the proper power to these vehicles. The way things sit stock the Max8 2200kv combo and the MM2/MMX 2200kv combos are barely enough for stock setups in the Arrma 6s BLX line, you start to add things like an M2C chassis, M2C shock towers, aluminum chassis braces ect and they really start to struggle. And like you said the way things sit now the best options for these vehicles are the Hobbywing Max6 1650kv combo and the MMX8s 1650kv combo. Most of us will probably never run 8s on our 6s rigs so it just feels like such a waste to have to run an 8s system.

Us 1/14 scale guys are in the same boat, Hobbywing just has the 16BL30 esc it is okay but when ran on 3s it gets hot fast, the next step up from there is the 10BL60WP and that is just too large for a 1/14 scale so most guys end up with the 10BL60SD or XR10 without the fan as it has a footprint that is much closer to the 16BL30. They have one small scale motor it is only a 2435, which is way too small for a 1/14, the Team Associated Reflex comes with a 2435 motor and people complain about heat issues all the time. Then there is Castle, they literally have nothing that will work in a 1/14 scale car, the Micro X is not recommended for 1/14 scale cars and the Sidewinder 3 and 4 are too big.

^^^ Great point. One reason, but Castle has had some bad production batches also. They Jumped on it quick though. Identified and fixed it.
So new to the history of all this....good info to know...wow! Is this what makes Castle so popular?

Sketchtrum is garbage. Absolute trash. ESCs that instantly overheat, radios that have a 1/2 second delay, servos that burn out, and don’t run anywhere near spec, and motors that have magnet fade. Don’t care if you’re “basher guy”, “racer x”, or FNG. Get a real electronics system, and you will instantly realize how bad all that stuff is.

Sketchtrum is garbage. Absolute trash. ESCs that instantly overheat, radios that have a 1/2 second delay, servos that burn out, and don’t run anywhere near spec, and motors that have magnet fade. Don’t care if you’re “basher guy”, “racer x”, or FNG. Get a real electronics system, and you will instantly realize how bad all that stuff is.

I had a thread the other day my boy's BRCC BLX ESC was glitching and Horizon replaced with a Firma 100. He still has the BLX motor. He runs mostly 2S and occasionally 3S. If this system fails him I'll move that route. Would a Max10 system be a good upgrade since it's 2S-3S?

I had a thread the other day my boy's BRCC BLX ESC was glitching and Horizon replaced with a Firma 100. He still has the BLX motor. He runs mostly 2S and occasionally 3S. If this system fails him I'll move that route. Would a Max10 system be a good upgrade since it's 2S-3S?
I usually go with a HW upgrade right away. I’m such a little female dog about Sketchytrum-trum, I just rip it out of any Arrma I buy:) You can go Max10, or a XeRun sensored setup. The power delivery is a bit smoother with a sensored rig, plus a bit more speed, and TURBO! Just make sure to get the little HW program card for whatever you get. Makes it really really easy to setup the ESC

I usually go with a HW upgrade right away. I’m such a little female dog about Sketchytrum-trum, I just rip it out of any Arrma I buy:) You can go Max10, or a XeRun sensored setup. The power delivery is a bit smoother with a sensored rig, plus a bit more speed, and TURBO! Just make sure to get the little HW program card for whatever you get. Makes it really really easy to setup the ESC
I understand. I'm that way with other things. He's 11 and drives occasionally. We'll let this go till she lets go and cross that bridge when it comes. Thanks for the recommendations!

You want the Max10 SCT 3200kv combo not the Max10, the Max10 is a downgrade from stock.

You want the Max10 SCT 3200kv combo not the Max10, the Max10 is a downgrade from stock.

I was curious about that. I know the Max10 was 2-3S and SCT was 2-4S. I'm guessing the electronics newer and better grade?

What about castle systems? the SW4 has been out for YEARS.

I was curious about that. I know the Max10 was 2-3S and SCT was 2-4S. I'm guessing the electronics newer and better grade?

What about castle systems? the SW4 has been out for YEARS.
The Max10 is only a 60a esc, the Max10 SCT is 120a.

I wouldn't even bother with a Sidewinder the motors are too small and the bec is only 5v so your steering will be even slower with less torque. The Sidewinder is better for vehicles like the 2wd Slash, 2wd Stampede or the Bandit.

If you want a Castle system their best option is the Mamba X system.

The Max10 is only a 60a esc, the Max10 SCT is 120a.

I wouldn't even bother with a Sidewinder the motors are too small and the bec is only 5v so your steering will be even slower with less torque. The Sidewinder is better for vehicles like the 2wd Slash, 2wd Stampede or the Bandit.

If you want a Castle system their best option is the Mamba X system.

I only learned what BEC was about a week ago. The Firma 100 they warrantied only shows a 6.0V BEC on the card. I watched a video the other day and this was the card this guy had

1631469196440.png

This is my card. I went into the options and #6 only beeps once no matter how many times you press. I run a 25kg servo (Amazon special).
If it's only 5V this this shouldn't matter. I'm just curious when the change was made.

Item: DS3225 25KG Large Torque Digital Servo
Stall Torque (5V): 21 kg/cm (291.5oz/in)
Stall Torque (6.8V): 24.5 kg/cm (340.1 oz/in)
Speed : 0.15 sec/60°(5V) / 0.13 sec/60°(6.8V)
Operating Voltage: 4.8 ~ 6.8 DC Volts
Dead brand: 3μs
Weight: 60 g (2.12 oz)
Motor Type: DC Motor
Gear Type: Copper & Aluminum
Working frequence: 50-333Hz
Size: 40 x 20 x 40.5 mm ( 1.58 x 0.79 x 1.60 in)

1631469425356.png

Last edited:
I only learned what BEC was about a week ago. The Firma 100 they warrantied only shows a 6.0V BEC on the card. I watched a video the other day and this was the card this guy had

View attachment 168749

This is my card. I went into the options and #6 only beeps once no matter how many times you press. I run a 25kg servo (Amazon special).
If it's only 5V this this shouldn't matter. I'm just curious when the change was made.

Item: DS3225 25KG Large Torque Digital Servo
Stall Torque (5V): 21 kg/cm (291.5oz/in)
Stall Torque (6.8V): 24.5 kg/cm (340.1 oz/in)
Speed : 0.15 sec/60°(5V) / 0.13 sec/60°(6.8V)
Operating Voltage: 4.8 ~ 6.8 DC Volts
Dead brand: 3μs
Weight: 60 g (2.12 oz)
Motor Type: DC Motor
Gear Type: Copper & Aluminum
Working frequence: 50-333Hz
Size: 40 x 20 x 40.5 mm ( 1.58 x 0.79 x 1.60 in)

View attachment 168750
@6volts your ds3225 is already close to being maxed out. If it did have 7.4v bc ur going to risk burning it up. Iv only heard of the firma 150 and 160 having 7.4 option but i don't and wont own firma esc/motors

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back