What's your radio of choice in 2021?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funky

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Typhon 6s
We have awesome sticky threads for batteries and chargers, didn't spot one for radios. If there is in fact a thread for radios please inform me and I'll delete this thread and redirect.

Interested in hearing people's experiences with radios. I'm thinking about upgrading but not sure if it'll be worth my while.

Currently my best radio is the Spektrum DX5C. I can't really fault it all too much, aside from finding it slightly sluggish in response. I bought it for the model memory, I quite like AVC in some situations and most of my cars came with Spektrum receivers so it was a logical choice.

However as my fleet grows, I'm trying different brands (with non Spektrum electronics) and I'm getting into roller models, I'm looking for a final solution to bind multiple cars to. The DX5C is performing okay however the cost of receivers makes it an expensive option as the number of cars I have grow.

So I'm looking for a transmitter with inexpensive receivers, gyro capability, multiple model memory, responsiveness, and a range of adjustment options beyond the RTR radios. Super long range isn't really necessary but I'll take it as an added bonus. Likewise with telemetry capabilities.

Been researching the:
  • Futaba 4PM (seems to tick all the boxes sans a neat gyro integration and the most expensive option)
  • Flysky Noble FS-NB4 (same caveats as Futaba)
  • Flysky GT5 (cheap receivers with gyro built in)
  • Radiolink RC6GS (as per Fkysky GT5)
Can anyone offer any insights please?

Last edited:
I have the Flysky GT5 and am very happy with it. The response is far better than the stock radio, all digital with a back-lit display, plenty of range for bashing, 20 model memory and the SVC/gyro is on par with Spektrums AVC. Excellent radio for the price. Also, the Flysky BS6 recievers with a gyro are relatively inexpensive.

A lot of people also like the Radiolink. From what I hear it is also a very good radio for the price.

I'm kind of leaning towards the Radiolink RC6GS for a few reasons. It's rather inexpensive for a 6ch radio, has a decent feature set, but mainly as the receivers are very affordable and readily available.

Radiolink are pretty responsive when it comes to questions and faults and I like the fact you can run the transmitter on a lipo (why doesn't the DX5C have this!).

The gyro seems to work very well and it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg to buy a receiver with this feature.

It also has the car lipo battery telemetry as an added bonus and reportedly the best range.

Seems the best overall option for me.

I recommend the Radiolink RC6GS over the GT5 (I have both). The RC6GS has more range than the GT5 (600m vice 200m), which is great for a vehicle that has a high top speed and could get out of range quickly.

I really like the DX5C and I'm sure I will replace it with the same thing when it gives up on me. Reasonably priced and does everything I need it to do.
I like it too however the cost of receivers is difficult for me.

It's $1500+ to equip 10 x cars with gyro equipped Spektrum receivers versus $300 for Radiolink. It's $900 to equip 10 x non-AVC Spektrum receivers versus $400 for Radiolink.

Radiolink has a similar feature set and even trumps Spektrum in some areas, at a fraction of the cost.

I already have the DX5C so I'll keep that for Spektrum equipped RTR cars and may get the Radiolink to fill the gap for rollers and cars with a different brand of receiver.

Is that hobbyking (turnigy) GT5 an exact copy of the FS-GT5? It looks identical, but are they exactly the same radio?

Is that hobbyking (turnigy) GT5 an exact copy of the FS-GT5? It looks identical, but are they exactly the same radio?
I think you can assume that they are indeed the very same radio.. Hking is known? or atleast was to copy other stuff (Orange, Lemon whatever).
Prolly the same manufacturer =)
Futaba T4pm is what I use.. No need for gyro, those I have in my helis. :)

I really pack an MT-44 while burning foam, but that radio would have to take the prize for the most talked about, cost effective solution, especially for beginners.

Running 1/10 scale most of my life (80's>on), there were not the choices you have today. You needed nitromethane if you wanted speed. Then the 1/8 scale Serpent 966 was next, for a few years. Then - BRUSHLESS. THEN - XRAY.

No more 1/10 scale, no more 1/8. The Limitless baby!

I could be wrong, but I was told the Radiolink RC6GS receiver does not have telemetry although the transmitter is telemetry capable. The same transmitter is sold as RC7GS but comes with a different receiver with a 7th channel for the telemetry.
Personally, I like the idea the transmitter software is upgradeable via direct downloads. Whether or not RL actually comes out with a software upgrade(they claim for "further telemetry") remains to be seen.
As helpful as the settings are, they can be confusing too.
Think of Radiolink as a Chinese knockoff of higher end transmitters that actually work well(so far).

The current RC6GS transmitter (V2) comes with the R7FG receiver, which provides the PPM and S-BUS modes.

It has a wire you can connect for lipo battery voltage reading straight from the car to the transmitter and the other telemetry functions are still in development. It's firmware updatable via a USB cable.

It seems like a pretty good product but I guess I won't know for sure until I try it for myself.

I love my Spektrum DX2, it's one of the best door stops I've ever had!

Lol, that radio got a lot of hate, but I never had any problems with it.

I have a DX5c now, just because it's practical to have one transmitter for multiple vehicles. No loss of signal for as far as I can see, that works for me. (y)

You started this thread as a discussion about different radio platforms in a universal sense (radeeo uv the year 2021, k?). Then you immediately said you don't want to hear about Spektrum because you already have one and they're too expensive for you. So close the door on that conversation. Nice bait and switch there.

I’m running a couple old tactics, dx3, fs gt5, what ever my trx6 has and the dumbo..all seem to be fine. The spektrum dx3 seems to need rebound to its receivers from time to time...dumbo still the best cheapo with its 6-8$ receivers which have a decent gyro and out of site range. Someday I will buy a nice radio...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back