Big Rock Wheel Wobble fixes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JordanBR

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
my big rock v3 wheels always wobble and I know it is happens out of the box but what can I do to eliminate it fully

Shims shims shims.. 👍

Seems futile though on a basher.. mass amounts of slop in everything including ball links contributes to the wobble.. far from precision machines, they are what they are, toys..

But if you want to nothing wrong with that..👍

Shims shims shims.. 👍

Seems futile though on a basher.. mass amounts of slop in everything including ball links contributes to the wobble.. far from precision machines, they are what they are, toys..

But if you want to nothing wrong with that..👍
where? shim

Seems like a dumb repetitive question so apologies in advance, but did you balance the tires?

i replaced thinking they were the problem but they get slight bends so easy

hows that work

Yeah, again.. far from precision.. it's just not important on a basher.. the time you spend trying to get the slop out is time you could be running packs... The truck doesn't care..

If it were a speed run rig that is different...👍

I think the slop is what helps these things live in a bashing environment, just my .02

Your absolutely correct. When there is slop there is give.
When everything is tight it seems things wear quicker.

I havnt noticed anyone mentioning or ask..

How is the play in the rod ends? They are notoriously horrible for play in the plastic pivot balls. Could that be where your issue is?
Rock your wheels in and out/ side to side and look for play in the rod ends

is it necessary for a basher
Is it necessary to not have wobbly wheels?

Take a video of the rig spinning wheels on the stand, then balance the wheel/tires.

Repeat video and thank me later... Tell the automotive shop next time you just want the vehicle tires swapped without balancing because it's not important to you ;)

Edit-you don't need a fancy tool if you're on a budget. Just create a stand with hex adapter and use clay to offset the heavy rotation. Hell, I've glued pennies to the inside of the wheel out in the field.

Last edited:

Take a video of the rig spinning wheels on the stand, then balance the wheel/tires.

Repeat video and thank me later... Tell the automotive shop next time you just want the vehicle tires swapped without balancing because it's not important to you ;)

I roast the tires on my truck to often for it to matter.. 😇

I am the automotive shop though. 😂

Your absolutely correct. When there is slop there is give.
When everything is tight it seems things wear quicker.

I havnt noticed anyone mentioning or ask..

How is the play in the rod ends? They are notoriously horrible for play in the plastic pivot balls. Could that be where your issue is?
Rock your wheels in and out/ side to side and look for play in the rod ends
I replaced them with some composite ones 4 packs ago and got even worse play than the 3d printed ones I made before which I liked. I will probably buy a new set of turnbuckles and put some Chinese metal pivot balls or HR

I replaced them with some composite ones 4 packs ago and got even worse play than the 3d printed ones I made before which I liked. I will probably buy a new set of turnbuckles and put some Chinese metal pivot balls or HR

You can use vxl slash 4x4 links. Get a set from Jenny's for 15-16$. Gotta use a washer/spacer as the pivot ball isn't as wide but they are very good links. I don't think out of any of my trucks I've ever had a loose pivot ball with a traxxas link.
Need 2x front camber links and 1x rear.
The rear is for the steering links (shorter) and the front/rear camber links are same on arrma.

20231105_151626.jpg

You can use vxl slash 4x4 links. Get a set from Jenny's for 15-16$. Gotta use a washer/spacer as the pivot ball isn't as wide but they are very good links. I don't think out of any of my trucks I've ever had a loose pivot ball with a traxxas link.
Need 2x front camber links and 1x rear.
The rear is for the steering links (shorter) and the front/rear camber links are same on arrma.

View attachment 330661
ok yea phillyB on yt does that but screws the ends onto the old 3s buckle I'm in Canada and don't have a us visa because I'm 16 but will try and source those rod ends buckles

Edit-you don't need a fancy tool if you're on a budget. Just create a stand with hex adapter and use clay to offset the heavy rotation. Hell, I've glued pennies to the inside of the wheel out in the field.

Yeah the tools are a bit expensive for what they are but they work nice. If I had a 3d printer I would have just made my own for sure.

If you shop around you can find the clay for pretty cheap. I bought that lb of clay I linked. I've done around a dozen sets of tires with it ranging from 1/10 scale buggy all the way up to the Fireteam tires and I've hardly put a dent in it.
ok yea phillyB on yt does that but screws the ends onto the old 3s buckle I'm in Canada and don't have a us visa because I'm 16 but will try and source those rod ends buckles
Your local hobby store should have the Traxxas turnbuckles and Amazon should as well. Traxxas 3643 is the part number that you want you need 3 pairs. I would also suggest a 5mm turnbuckle wrench.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back