Talion Worth replacing good TALION exb guts with HW Max 6 1650 kv?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bangis

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
Do any of you guys think replacing the (talion exb’s 2050kv 150amp ESC) with (hobbywing max6 1650kv) would produce noticeable/necessary/beneficial performance results?

Yep, loads more torque and cooler temps as well. With the low height of the body the larger can motor makes it a little rough to fit a heat sink/fan very well. I like the hobbystar 4092 1730kv motor in both of mine.

talion14.jpg

Necessary benefits is an valid point.

@bangis
I always found the 6s models had plenty of power for off-road/jumps/flips. One day I'll have to drive a basher with a Max 6 combo and see what all the fuss is about.

Last edited:
Haven't tried the max6 combo yet though I do have one coming today. I have tried a castle combo 1650kv which I imagine is similar to max6 combo and it was night and day difference between stock setup in talion. Stock still not bad though but you will definitely notice improvements.

Yep, loads more torque and cooler temps as well. With the low height of the body the larger can motor makes it a little rough to fit a heat sink/fan very well. I like the hobbystar 4092 1730kv motor in both of mine.

View attachment 184978
Thanks for the advice. Pretty clean build!!
yep I have to open it. Was trying to make sure before I broke the seal and couldn’t return it without restocking fee’s. Thanks everyone!

View attachment 184978
Do you think it’s able to be done? 1650 in the talion and the body fit.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. Pretty clean build!!
yep I have to open it. Was trying to make sure before I broke the seal and couldn’t return it without restocking fee’s. Thanks everyone!

Do you think it’s able to be done? 1650 in the talion and the body fit.
Yeah it'll fit fine. May run cool too depending on your gearing. I was able to kinda angle a 40mm fan in to fit sideways under my body. That one may need a little more creativity.

The 10mm thick fans shouldnt have any issues with fitment though
True, but getting a heat sink to fit the 4985 is a little tougher. I think people have got the yeah racing one to fit with some modifications. The 8s xmaxx heat sink works greatl. I 40mm fan all of my rigs, i run a pretty high gearing though.

mojave5.jpg

True, but getting a heat sink to fit the 4985 is a little tougher. I think people have got the yeah racing one to fit with some modifications. The 8s xmaxx heat sink works greatl. I 40mm fan all of my rigs, i run a pretty high gearing though.

View attachment 185107

I thought the Alza Racing 40mm mounts fit the 4985 can good enough. Could be wrong on that. Powerhobby makes one of their clamp style mounts in the 50mm range.

I put it in (max 6 with the 1650kv) and I can’t believe I was questioning doing so. Everything fit fine. With the talion’s servo mount it was a tight squeeze. I didn’t know where I wanted to be as far as gearing goes but I figured the optional 23t arrma pinion that came with the exb was a good place to start. It didn’t have enough ass for my liking so I went down to a 20t. 😎 loving it lol

3BF1F87A-A42F-4168-884A-DB53E7239ACA.jpeg

A291337D-0015-4D58-983F-5AFA3EF8AE62.jpeg

I put it in (max 6 with the 1650kv) and I can’t believe I was questioning doing so. Everything fit fine. With the talion’s servo mount it was a tight squeeze. I didn’t know where I wanted to be as far as gearing goes but I figured the optional 23t arrma pinion that came with the exb was a good place to start. It didn’t have enough ass for my liking so I went down to a 20t. 😎 loving it lol

View attachment 186651

View attachment 186652
So, how are the temps on the motor? No esc overheating?

Seems to be liking the gearing. I’m in Ohio and it’s been in the upper 40’s-50 degrees. At the end of a pack I’ve been around 120 for both motor (no fan) and ESC.. With a heavy trigger finger lol

I thought about it but without much body clearance, the Firma 150 ESC seemed to be the best fit. Didn't want to have to solder on new connectors since the Max6 goes vertically out of the ESC. But if you can fit it, go for it! I love that combo in my Kraton and Outcast.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back