Would this be good for storing batteries?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenwm

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Mojave
  4. Senton 3s
  5. Typhon 3s
  6. Vorteks
I have a bunch of batteries

Most of them are in ammo cans
I have anywhere from 4-6 batteries in each can in my garage
I’m not sure if this is safe

I was wondering if you guys think storing in a a bigger tool box like this would be safer or better option

TIA

5E89B1E9-88C3-471A-B2A8-1ACAA368AA84.jpeg

CBF2C721-FB52-40CF-B631-789EFC3E5049.jpeg

I've considered something like that for my batteries but I don't have a good place for something that size. Seems like a good idea if you have the space though.
I settled on going overkill with bags and ammo cans. I use single lipo bags for my 4s & 6s batteries. I then put 2 of those in a bigger lipo bag that zips shut, then put that in an ammo can. Worse case scenario 2 of them burn while double bagged in an ammo can.

I keep all 6 lipos in one ammo can. Some would say that's not cool. Opinions differ a lot on this subject.

If you put them all in that, if one goes, there's a good chance they all go. I'm not sure any single container is going to be of great help with a pile of burning lipo batteries.
Yeah doesn’t seem like there’s a perfect way to store these when you have multiple

I just don’t really feel the ammo cans sitting on the floor of my garage is safe enough

I’m looking for something I can maybe fit all my individual ammo cans in for more safety

I’m looking for something I can maybe fit all my individual ammo cans in for more safety

One idea is to use an old cast iron wood stove, that's what I use. I'd have to throw it into the sun to burn through it ... I trust it more than any toolbox, etc.

One idea is to use an old cast iron wood stove, that's what I use. I'd have to throw it into the sun to burn through it ... I trust it more than any toolbox, etc.
Cast iron stove would be great!
Make sure it isn't aluminum. Melting point is pretty low for aluminum.
Didn’t even think of that
Thank you sir! 🤛

I have a bunch of batteries

Most of them are in ammo cans
I have anywhere from 4-6 batteries in each can in my garage
I’m not sure if this is safe

I was wondering if you guys think storing in a a bigger tool box like this would be safer or better option

TIA

View attachment 304777

View attachment 304778

I think storing the individual ammo cans in a cabinet like that would be a good option.
Talbot keeps all those in a giant box like that and I always wondered what would happen if 1 went... lots of money.. I only have 4 lipo so 1 can it is lol.

I think storing the individual ammo cans in a cabinet like that would be a good option.
Talbot keeps all those in a giant box like that and I always wondered what would happen if 1 went... lots of money.. I only have 4 lipo so 1 can it is lol.
Yeah
It would suck if all my lipos went up …
I just don’t want my whole garage going up
I store most my RCs in there

Probably going to do the ammo cans inside something like this or barbecue

If you keep them at storage level they are inert and nothing will or can happen.
The danger is 90% when charging (and doing it wrong) and maybe 10% due to damage in the field, i.e. after the run or even during.
Taking paranoia a little too far, imho. Cabinet is a great idea, don't stack them all in one corner and on top of each other and you will be ok.

If you keep them at storage level they are inert and nothing will or can happen.
The danger is 90% when charging (and doing it wrong) and maybe 10% due to damage in the field, i.e. after the run or even during.
Taking paranoia a little too far, imho. Cabinet is a great idea, don't stack them all in one corner and on top of each other and you will be ok.
Yeah I’m a little paranoid 😂
I have over 50 batteries
Just want to be safe as possible

I have 6 batteries and store them in pairs of 2 in lipo bags.
All of mine are the Spektrum G2 batts and they have all been fine.
My rule of Thumb:
- Never leave them alone while charging
- Inspect after each use
- Store outside of your home (I have a little 7x10 building i keep them in, so if they do go up in flames my family is safe)

One thing i've been thinking of doing is setting a EOL (End of Life) on my batteries for X number of Usage or X Number of years of use. Thoughts on that?
I will throw out that friends of mine have used Knock Off amazon batteries and had far more issues then me.

No need for EOL. Their is no expiration date on them. EOL is determined by IR, if a cell is significantly different then the others and it starts impacting runtime it's time to retire.
I have older cells that are significantly better than newer ones and it's purely based on use and abuse.
I'd stay away from cheap Amazon lipos, they are sub-par, spend slightly more for double runtime. No need to go overboard for bashing though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back