Xmaxx 8s Steering Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fngarma123

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I bought an Xmaxx 8s less than a year ago and I have gone through 3 steering servos already. The stock one broke, then I replaced it with the upgraded traxxas servo and it still broke, twice. After a few runs the truck randomly loses steering completely. Sometimes it loses steering only for a few seconds, sometimes a few minutes. If I turn the truck off for a while and turn it back on,, the steering will work but still will lose steering within 15 mins of running. All of my settings set perfectly (endpoints, TSM, St Trim etc). I have tried everything from factory resets to firmware updates and even sent it in to Traxxas to replace the servo. They said all of the other electronics are fine with no issues. When I lose steering, it doesn't make any noises, simply just won't steer. So the gears don't seem to be stripped. While the steering is working, it operates just fine with no noises or binding up. Anyone have any suggestions on what's causing this and how to fix it? I am completely out of ideas. Also, why does my ESC temp gauge on the Link app show the gauge in the red when the temperature is only at 96? (Picture attached).

Screenshot_20211231-005712_Traxxas Link.jpg

Traxxas makes a adapter plate to use aftermarket servos. TRX servos are junk, period.

Not hating but Traxxas electronics are crap, hands down.

Replace with a Savox 2290sg servo. You’ll have no issues after that.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LBPTC7O?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image
Yea, I'm realizing that now. Even with the upgraded traxxas servo. I love the truck and it's a blast to drive, but I've never broken so many steering servos in my entire life. With my Kraton 8s/Outcast 8s I have never had a single issue with either servo and I bash them like crazy.

I bought an Xmaxx 8s less than a year ago and I have gone through 3 steering servos already. The stock one broke, then I replaced it with the upgraded traxxas servo and it still broke, twice. After a few runs the truck randomly loses steering completely. Sometimes it loses steering only for a few seconds, sometimes a few minutes. If I turn the truck off for a while and turn it back on,, the steering will work but still will lose steering within 15 mins of running. All of my settings set perfectly (endpoints, TSM, St Trim etc). I have tried everything from factory resets to firmware updates and even sent it in to Traxxas to replace the servo. They said all of the other electronics are fine with no issues. When I lose steering, it doesn't make any noises, simply just won't steer. So the gears don't seem to be stripped. While the steering is working, it operates just fine with no noises or binding up. Anyone have any suggestions on what's causing this and how to fix it? I am completely out of ideas. Also, why does my ESC temp gauge on the Link app show the gauge in the red when the temperature is only at 96? (Picture attached).

View attachment 189457
I switched to a different transmitter and receiver…first I went to my flyshy nb4. Then when I had a few extra Spektrum avc receivers laying around so I switched to Spektrum. Traxxas electronics are crap imo. Do yourself a favor and get the Gpm servo adapter with the 25t steering horn that fits into the original horns spot and use a regular style servo, after my second 2085x I was done with their style of servos.

I switched to a different transmitter and receiver…first I went to my flyshy nb4. Then when I had a few extra Spektrum avc receivers laying around so I switched to Spektrum. Traxxas electronics are crap imo. Do yourself a favor and get the Gpm servo adapter with the 25t steering horn that fits into the original horns spot and use a regular style servo, after my second 2085x I was done with their style of servos.
Yea I am totally done with Traxxas electronics. I'm just shocked a company like Traxxas continues to put out poopy electronics. Ordered Spektrum and will be switching. My Kraton/Outcast have had zero issues with the steering servos.

I just put the wide kit in my Xmaxx and went from Proline Trenchers to Badlands. I’ve got 2 runs on it now and on the ground handing is miles better, it’s what this rc has been missing. I’ve done a few 10-15 foot jumps on it…that shock fluid they recommend isn’t going to cut it. I’m at 35 front 40 rear and while testing it was 10-14 degrees F so I didn’t attempt to do any flips yet or push it any higher it’s way to cold I don’t want to break anything yet…I want to tune the suspension first. But I’m getting chassis slap from 6 foot up with the spring height adjuster maxed out. I’m hopping M2C will drop some o-ring shock pistons for this truck.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back