Grom Yay my bday gift to myself arrived!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketzx1

Very Active Member
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
  2. Nero
  3. Outcast 4s
  4. Senton 3s
  5. Talion EXB
  6. Infraction 4x4
I done did it. Told you all I would be getting one, and I sure did. Of course I got it in green! This thing is pretty well pet together, BUT!

On both the esc and Lipo leads, the wires have been broken open during assembly and have exposed wires 😕

Not a big deal I’ll be putting in a brushless system after vacation next week. But I took some pics and wanted to share!

IMG_0153.jpeg

IMG_0154.jpeg

IMG_0155.jpeg

IMG_0156.jpeg

IMG_0157.jpeg

IMG_0159.jpeg

IMG_0160.jpeg

IMG_0161.jpeg

IMG_0162.jpeg

IMG_0163.jpeg

I done did it. Told you all I would be getting one, and I sure did. Of course I got it in green! This thing is pretty well pet together, BUT!

On both the esc and Lipo leads, the wires have been broken open during assembly and have exposed wires 😕

Not a big deal I’ll be putting in a brushless system after vacation next week. But I took some pics and wanted to share!

View attachment 329301

View attachment 329302

View attachment 329303

View attachment 329304

View attachment 329305

View attachment 329306

View attachment 329307

View attachment 329308

View attachment 329309

View attachment 329310

Those batteries seem decent and that looks like a reason to get a free lipo from Horizon Hobby. Both are an easy fix if you have a soldering iron.

Those batteries seem decent and that looks like a reason to get a free lipo from Horizon Hobby. Both are an easy fix if you have a soldering iron.

I sure do, I have a trusty Weller 40amp. It may not be the best but it works great for me.

The lipo seems extra long for no particular reason, I have other 2s lipos that are shorter by a bit, even a few 3s 1400mah that are shorter. Could prolly get shorter lipos and move the esc or receiver over to the battery tray area. Hmm.

Will have to ponder on that idea 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Very nice!! 👍
I bet the wires got pinched when they were trying to push them into the little plastic holders. It’s kinda a tight fit and it was probably quitting time.. 🤷‍♂️

I’m jealous of the green too. My lhs didn’t get any green and told me they wouldn’t until the new year. So I opted for red instead.

Very nice!! 👍
I bet the wires got pinched when they were trying to push them into the little plastic holders. It’s kinda a tight fit and it was probably quitting time.. 🤷‍♂️

I’m jealous of the green too. My lhs didn’t get any green and told me they wouldn’t until the new year. So I opted for red instead.

I’m sure that’s what happened, and it’s not a biggie.

I got lucky and found a shop that was willing to ship them regardless of them supposedly being in-store purchases only 🙄

“Local” hobby shop for me is a 2+ hour drive round trip. Not very reasonable for me. Online ordering is my usual go to 😬

Let us know how durable it is. I would love to mess around with that in the basement.
Imho 1/18 is a bit big for indoors depending on the size of your basement. Is it a pretty open basement?

I need a indoor rc it would have to be no bigger than my finger though my house is small

There are some super small rcs, down to like 1/48 scale.

I kno the Kyosho Mini Z rcs are micro, and super popular but also super expensive at 200 each.
Not being cheap just see a window of opportunity to get free stuff even though it's like $20 in stuff lol

I emailed Horizon with all the pertinent details, we shall see what they say.

There are some super small rcs, down to like 1/48 scale.

I kno the Kyosho Mini Z rcs are micro, and super popular but also super expensive at 200 each.

I emailed Horizon with all the pertinent details, we shall see what they say.
I want one of those little Turbo Racing 1/76 cars, they look like so much fun plus I have hardwood floors. http://www.turboracing.net/pro.aspx?nid=3

I want one of those little Turbo Racing 1/76 cars, they look like so much fun plus I have hardwood floors. http://www.turboracing.net/pro.aspx?nid=3

When you got wood floors you can pretty much pull the rear tires off any Walmart rc and drive on rim like its a drift machine.
I'm sure its not great for the floor but... not any harder on it then what my 4 crazy children do to it on the regular.
Me and wifey have drift comps around the dining room table and chair legs pretty often. 😁

I've got a few of those little hot wheel sized rc and they are meh. Steering not so good.
Wife bought them for a birthday cake she did a few years ago. Made a working rc track and we raced the cars on a fondant/Asphalt track. Was pretty fun. Coolest cake idea I've seen to date

Update on the warranty claim for the lipo/esc. They are both on back order but will be sent to me when they are in stock. I really only wanted the lipo replaced but can’t complain, they didn’t even bat an eyelash.

Hopefully I’ll get to run it in stock form this weekend and see how it is before I start making any adjustments.

Tires don’t have any foam, don’t think that was a smart idea but hopefully they’ll sell the tires/wheels separately at a later date.

As for a brushless motor, I kno slick suggested several motors, but if it has a 380 brushed motor wonder if the vxl3-m 380 brushless motor would fit 🤔

Update on the warranty claim for the lipo/esc. They are both on back order but will be sent to me when they are in stock. I really only wanted the lipo replaced but can’t complain, they didn’t even bat an eyelash.

Hopefully I’ll get to run it in stock form this weekend and see how it is before I start making any adjustments.

Tires don’t have any foam, don’t think that was a smart idea but hopefully they’ll sell the tires/wheels separately at a later date.

As for a brushless motor, I kno slick suggested several motors, but if it has a 380 brushed motor wonder if the vxl3-m 380 brushless motor would fit 🤔

I think your on to something with the vxl3! I wonder why that motor never crossed my mind for my boys volcano 16. That sounds like a riot! Thx for the idea 😁

You know there are 1/16 proline trenchers?? Bet those would be absolutely killer on the mini-granite.

You will have a hard time trying to find 1/18 scale tires that have foams, it's like no one believes in using them in that scale.

And yes the VXL3-M will fit, pretty sure most of the motors I suggested are bigger.

You will have a hard time trying to find 1/18 scale tires that have foams, it's like no one believes in using them in that scale.

And yes the VXL3-M will fit, pretty sure most of the motors I suggested are bigger.

What size are the groms tires? I cannot find the specs on them.
These trenchers are 92mm i believe. 1/16 but I'd be putting my money on them fitting well? Maybe?

Screenshot_20231102-100732_Samsung Internet.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back