1/8th Scale 8s Kraton Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1st run on 8s was insane and the 4985 took it like a champ. It's like there's unlimited throttle now, but you have to be really smooth with application or it either spins the tires or power wheelie's at any speed. At no point in the run did I ever hit wide open throttle, just didn't have the room.

Went to an empty parking lot to rip around and get a feel for how it was going to handle and monitor temps.
IMG_1720.JPG

IMG_1732.PNG

About 7 minutes into the pack I popped a band on the right rear tire and decided to throw a set of Katars on due to the ridiculously high wear it was putting on the backflip LPs

Didn't even think about getting any video until the very end after I stopped to check temps and voltage.

3.76-3.79v
ESC 141
Motor 146
center diff 132
batteries 109 & 108

I'll get more video over then next week when time allows but I did manage to hit 71mph at some point running around the parking lot with limited space.
IMG_1727.JPG

I can already tell that running 1M center diff fluid is going to be really hard on the rear input cup. After one pack it's already wearing a small divot and putting a heat signature on the pin at the contact point.

IMG_1731.PNG

That's the only thing I found on a thorough post run inspection

Killer rig man yeah that motor you might as well give up on the straps. I had mine and all but one have broken off. I just got close to full throttle on mine and the truck jumped 95ft. Bash on

71 mph in that small space @Mr.Duke! Your target speed of 82-83 seems totally viable but just how much space would you need? And when I talk about space, I'm referring to braking room as well. I got the Noto maxed out recently (pretty sure it was anyways) and bringing it to a halt took me by surprise. Lucky there was the tire of a parked car to stop it from hitting a concrete curb. My guess is I was in the high 40's low 50's but the distance to stop was what i hadn't accounted for. Can't wait to see the top end on yours once you find the right place to do it.???

71 mph in that small space @Mr.Duke! Your target speed of 82-83 seems totally viable but just how much space would you need? And when I talk about space, I'm referring to braking room as well. I got the Noto maxed out recently (pretty sure it was anyways) and bringing it to a halt took me by surprise. Lucky there was the tire of a parked car to stop it from hitting a concrete curb. My guess is I was in the high 40's low 50's but the distance to stop was what i hadn't accounted for. Can't wait to see the top end on yours once you find the right place to do it.???
Shutdown space is completely overrated and unnecessary imo. As you know.....Ed and I have been working diligently behind the scenes on secondary methods for drastically reducing acceleration through the use of stationary objects like trees and shrubbery, thus far..... with mixed results
IMG_1755.jpg

We will keep you posted on further developments from our testing

?

Shutdown space is completely overrated and unnecessary imo. As you know.....Ed and I have been working diligently behind the scenes on secondary methods for drastically reducing acceleration through the use of stationary objects like trees and shrubbery, thus far..... with mixed results
View attachment 48482

?
As you may have seen in some of my videos, I too have used similar principles for decreasing the speed of decent on some of my jumps. The result thus far has been very good, as the speed is reduced to zero almost immediately ?

View attachment 48482

?
Interesting! I may have to start launching at full speed from now on, no matter how small the space. If what you're saying is correct, something or someone will stop it. ?

View attachment 48482

?

@Mr.Duke .... That looks like Tree'mendous fun..?????

I spent tonight finishing up version 1.0 of my 8s Kraton build by putting the final touches on like thread lock on screws, body pins, wheelie bar, GPS, alignment and so forth.

Found a home for the Garmin GPS under the wing and plan on taking it out for a street bash sometime tomorrow to see how this 4985 performs on 8s. I'm actually more concerned about the tires holding up than I am about the motor. Running 20t pinion and 46t spur has me geared for 82-83mph

View attachment 48338

View attachment 48336

View attachment 48337

View attachment 48339

View attachment 48340

View attachment 48341

View attachment 48342

View attachment 48343

View attachment 48344

View attachment 48345

I'm pretty pleased with how it's turned out so far. Now I just have to keep from blowing it up ?
Absolutely bad ass brother!

I can already tell that running 1M center diff fluid is going to be really hard on the rear input cup. After one pack it's already wearing a small divot and putting a heat signature on the pin at the contact point.

View attachment 48410

That's the only thing I found on a thorough post run inspection

Put some dry PTFE lube on that.

Not sure which radio you use, but I wanted to give a tip that I learned running 8s.
On my Futaba (others have this too) you can adjust the throttle curve. Expo 1 as pictured below really smoothed out the "Jumpyness" that occurs on 8s when using light to mid throttle.

Expo throttle.JPG

I did this for the Max5 ESC on a Leopard 5898 (not in an Arrma) and it made the world of difference.
Castle ESCs have this tuning available in the castle link software.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back