Mojave 4S vs 6S for durability

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Fireteam
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Mojave
  7. Senton 3s
  8. Typhon 3s
Hey guys, just wanted to see what most of you run in your 6S rigs. I was at the hobby shop buying a new rear diff for my Mojave b/c the stock one took a crap. I started talking with one of the employees that I'm pretty good friends with now at this point. He told me that many people with 6S rigs often run them on 4S, or they turn the throttle down to 75% when running on 6S in order to minimize blowing diffs and wreaking havoc on other parts of the drivetrain. Do you guys typically always run your 6S rigs on 6S, or do you prefer 4S to minimize the stress of the parts?

Hey guys, just wanted to see what most of you run in your 6S rigs. I was at the hobby shop buying a new rear diff for my Mojave b/c the stock one took a crap. I started talking with one of the employees that I'm pretty good friends with now at this point. He told me that many people with 6S rigs often run them on 4S, or they turn the throttle down to 75% when running on 6S in order to minimize blowing diffs and wreaking havoc on other parts of the drivetrain. Do you guys typically always run your 6S rigs on 6S, or do you prefer 4S to minimize the stress of the parts?
That’s a great question! You are going to see many different opinions. Personally, I run my Mojave on 6s and throttle down when necessary.
I think the mentality is 4s squeeze the trigger, 6s / 8s know the limitations.

Last edited:
That’s a great question! You are going to see many different opinions. Personally, I run my Mojave on 6s and throttle down when necessary.
I think the mentality is 4s squeeze the trigger, 6s know the limitations.
It never clicked until you just verbalized it, but that's definitely my mentality :ROFLMAO:
Depends on your priorities. I don’t buy my cars to baby them - I buy them to drive them hard. That’s what I think is fun and I also enjoy the wrenching.

But yes - driving your car on 4S is less likely to break things.
I'm not a super hard driver/basher, but once you have a sip of some 6S juice, it's really hard to go back down to 4S.

I run, or was running, a lightweight rigg on 4s and you can drive all day like that and never break anything and you can full throttle often. Great way to learn.

6s you don't get to full throttle nearly as much, and anyone who does full throttle all the time breaks things often and shouldn't be surprised about it. Cars can be ballistic at 6s. Or they are WAY under geared.

I honestly believe the top performance might lie in 5s territory

That said run 6s lol

I have no issues with my Mojave EXB diffs on 6s, but I think that the EXB diffs are more strong and durable than the stock Mojave. You could always swap out the diffs and output drives in your stock Mojave to the EXB ones. That's what I did with my hybrid Typhon 6s. It's a V3 Typhon that I converted to a hybrid with O6S parts and I used the Mojave EXB diffs. Do you have the stock Mojave?

I think it depends on the rig. I’ve run my 6s kraton and limitless on 8s, but I mostly run my typhon on 4s. 4s can be enough to make a smaller rig move really well, but I’d probably want to run 6s in the Mojave. 4s will move the kraton pretty well, but it is noticeably less powerful to the point that I consider it less fun. The same 4s in my street typhon is about as much power as the car can put down, so 6s just makes it harder to drive.

@Armarookie43 Yes, my Mojo is the stock one. Thats a pretty interesting idea about swapping out the diffs 🤔 I appreciate all the feedback & input received thus far! The general consensus seems to be drive the rig how it was intended to be driven, which is on 6S, and worry about a failure/when if it happens. But until then drive it like you stole it 😎

I run 6s love the speed and power only small problem with stock diffs was the diff pins but only on one of my cars :unsure: so changed them to drill bits been fine since

I wish 5S was more of a thing. Definitely a sweet spot for some rigs. Lightweight truggy, heavy buggy, etc.
If Arrma ESCs properly supported 5s, I'd definitely run 5s packs. I think 5s offers the perfect combination of speed/power/reliability.

I wish 5S was more of a thing. Definitely a sweet spot for some rigs. Lightweight truggy, heavy buggy, etc.

If Arrma ESCs properly supported 5s, I'd definitely run 5s packs. I think 5s offers the perfect combination of speed/power/reliability.

What about running 6s with a lower punch setting? Isn't most of the wear on throttle?

I run both of my Typhons only on 6s. Put the hammer down & deal with the consequences 😆😉🤷‍♂️
That was my last year with my Big Rock - bashing at the skatepark and kept driving it through our long winter. My Vorteks I treated nicer, and now I'm afraid to bust my new Mojave because my wife saw the price tag.

I'm scared of the consequences. :eek::ROFLMAO:

I did run my 6s rigs on 4s for several years. When I first got them, I did try 6s, but my driving was not up to 6s standards, we broke the trucks every time out. Swapped into 4s fairly quickly, and almost all breaks stopped. We ran nothing but 4s for several years after that. On 4s, these trucks need a +2t pinion bump, but that gives them great speed and power, but they don't have so much power that you need to baby them to keep them alive...

We are now running 6s again, and breaking stuff again. on 6s, I find that in my Outcast, I use 30-50% power for 90% of the run, with just a few stabs at WOT when I need a boost. The Kraton, with the longer wheel base, can take more power just zooming around, but still I think we rarely hit WOT except for short boosts, and and speed running across grass fields. But, IMHO, those long high power pulls are hard on the diffs. Kraton wears diffs faster than any other RC I own. In process now of upgrading to EXB diffs, we'll see if they last longer.

I haves stated this many times. I myself also run 4s about 40% of the time. My Mojave is rather heavy and Probably use 6s most of the most with that one rig. Running 4s is fine also. Especially if space is limited or for smaller track type settings.
Yes, wear and tear is way much less, running any 6s rig with a 4s Lipo. Short of driver error, I notice that I never broke anything when running 4s with my 6s rigs. Even with some driver error, I don't break as much. 4s lipos are somewhat lighter and the lower speed helps in this regard. Also, the rig is more controllable and easier to drive. Easier to dial in and learn the nuances of the rig, without constant overpowering wheel spin.
My TLRT runs 4s exclusively. At the track and way back when in Surface RC , all 1/8 platform rigs were originally designed around a 4s Lipo. Food for thought.
>>>BTW, I absolutely never liked that Throttle limiter on the Spektrum radio's. I always left it on 100%, and just used a 4s when I wanted.
I tossed those Spektrum radios real quick.

Last edited:
Kraton wears diffs faster than any other RC I own. In process now of upgrading to EXB diffs, we'll see if they last longer.
Would that be because of their large wheels vs what is on the Mojave?

I absolutely never liked that Throttle limiter on the Spektrum radio's. I always left it on 100%, and just used a 4s when I wanted. I tossed those Spektrum radios real quick.
Interesting to see the viewpoint. I'm new so have nothing to compare to except some cheap transmitters off Banggood for my kids' RCs. The DX3 was pretty cool to me because I picked up the Bluetooth module and see a lot of options to control on my phone, right down to steering endpoints and throttle endpoints if I wanted. It's pretty wild to me.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back