Notorious 5s battery???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

332_RC

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Gorgon
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Notorious
  5. Senton 3s
  6. Infraction 4x4
I know 5s is safe on a 6s rig but I had no idea.

Screenshot_20231210_202014_eBay.jpg

I really wanted to try a 5s pack as that sounds like the sweet spot for normal bashing but the problem is having an ESC that can recognize 5s packs. Some wont even run and others you would have lvc issues. Does anybody know any ESCs that are compatible?

To bad the BLX185 and Firma 150 don't support 5s. They will LVC within 1 minute of a full chared pack. Tried it many times. Only way to run them is with the ESC in nimh mode and use telemetry w/alarm via Radiolink controller or radio of your liking, which at this point all my rigs have lol.

I really wanted to try a 5s pack as that sounds like the sweet spot for normal bashing but the problem is having an ESC that can recognize 5s packs. Some wont even run and others you would have lvc issues. Does anybody know any ESCs that are compatible?
The Quicrun 8BL150 supports 5s packs.

The afore mentioned Hobbywing 8BL150, Hobbywing Max8, Hobbywing Max8 G2, Hobbywing Max6, Hobbywing Max6 G2, Hobbywing XR8 Plus G2S, Castle Mamba X, Castle Mamba Monster 2, Castle Mamba Monster X,, Castle Mamba Monster X 8S, Castle Sidewinder 8 and Tekin RX8 that I know of.

I have run my stock Firma 150s with stock motor, and I can hear 5 clicks during start up and it doesn't simply go to LVC cut off. I happen to have a faulty 3s that I extracted a bad cell, so its now a 2s. I paired it in series with a regular 3s.

The afore mentioned Hobbywing 8BL150, Hobbywing Max8, Hobbywing Max8 G2, Hobbywing Max6, Hobbywing Max6 G2, Hobbywing XR8 Plus G2S, Castle Mamba X, Castle Mamba Monster 2, Castle Mamba Monster X,, Castle Mamba Monster X 8S, Castle Sidewinder 8 and Tekin RX8 that I know of.
Add XLX2 to that list. And just for completeness sake (and to fill a void in my ignorance) if the Max6 can hack it on 5S, wouldn't it stand to reason that the Max5 and Max4 can as well (although...who in their right mind would get a Max4 to run 5S needs a lobotomy and some tights...)? There doesn't seem to be all that much difference between the three ESCs so I'd be surprised if they couldn't...the wisdom of some of those decisions notwithstanding.

Good info. I had no idea. I have a e bay coupon I was looking at a z eee 5s 4000mah 100c pack I coulda got for 41 bucks. I'll stick to what I have. My Notorious has stock 150a esc & motor. Maybe the MMX8 w a TP4070 is in my future.

I haven't bought a 5S yet, because the Max6 manual specifically states that the ESC's auto- detect function won't recognise 5S batteries.
Are you sure it will work?

Don’t see the value in pulling a spark plug on a v8 when it’s designed for 25V, 4Volts down for me would require a gearing change.

I will add a NOS hit and go 7S on my 8S ESCs in 6S platforms when the area is available however. *160A firma monitoring DX5 voltage and turn LVC off

Max 6 G2/MMX is capable

(Typhon on a timed race track is a different story)

Last edited:
Add XLX2 to that list. And just for completeness sake (and to fill a void in my ignorance) if the Max6 can hack it on 5S, wouldn't it stand to reason that the Max5 and Max4 can as well (although...who in their right mind would get a Max4 to run 5S needs a lobotomy and some tights...)? There doesn't seem to be all that much difference between the three ESCs so I'd be surprised if they couldn't...the wisdom of some of those decisions notwithstanding.
Max4 and Max5 list 6s minimum.
I haven't bought a 5S yet, because the Max6 manual specifically states that the ESC's auto- detect function won't recognise 5S batteries.
Are you sure it will work?
It does? I must have missed that.

Pretty sure only the Max G2's will recognize 5s. I have G1 Max6, which won't. I don't think any of the G1 Max esc's have 5s capability. What's weird is the 8BL150 has had 5s in both G1 and G2. Xerun has always had it though I think.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back