Amazon prime "free shipping" is getting expensive

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumguy75

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
Just one example is Traxxas 48p spur gears. $3 each at Amain/other online stores, but $7.97 from Amazon with "free" prime shipping?
So if I buy 3 from Amain its $11.99 shipped, 3 from Amazon prime its $23.91, wth?
Been noticing more and more Prime items are marked up enough to cover shipping and in some cases marked up enough for them to profit a lot on shipping costs if you buy more than 1. 🙄

Another side of it though is that the people actually selling the items on amazon are getting higher and higher fees from amazon for the fulfillment. We sell our products on there and they almost take 50% of the sale for their fees so the sellers have to charge a little more to make up for that. So for something the seller has up for $14 they are only going to see roughly $7 of that

They been doing that for a while now. I know. Amain has a cheaper shipping "flat rate" for many small commonly sold RC parts.
AMZ just marks up the price to cover their shipping that is "Supposedly" Free. (Prime) Not free!
I noticed this for some years now.
One main reason I dropped Prime membership. AMZ pricing aint all that.
You are only paying for the convenience thing, if anything, especially if your "household" has become dependent on AMZ goods and services.
I don't use AMZ for much these days. I weened myself off 99% of it.
They email me now saying we have't heard from you in a while. Offering Prime free for 30 days and all their BS promos.

AMZ is actually losing revenue these days. They got all artificially Pumped up during Covid, for obvious reasons, and now have to scale down, because things are back to pre-Covid times and worse, the economy is tanking, less buying now for most households. Just buying the bare necessities. Luxury goods are not in demand like they once were. This affects the RC industry as well. Lets face it, RC is a $luxury$ hobby. You need some disposable income to play.

Last edited:
Just one example is Traxxas 48p spur gears. $3 each at Amain/other online stores, but $7.97 from Amazon with "free" prime shipping?
So if I buy 3 from Amain its $11.99 shipped, 3 from Amazon prime its $23.91, wth?
Been noticing more and more Prime items are marked up enough to cover shipping and in some cases marked up enough for them to profit a lot on shipping costs if you buy more than 1. 🙄
On stuff like that you have to look at who the seller is, that's where added price comes from.
1699372192465.png

Yeah when shopping AMZ, need to check who the seller is and IF Amazon is the shipper or Not. Sometimes AMZ is the seller and shipper. Amazon for instance was stocking and selling the TLRT Roller, before it was discontinued. AMZ buying out much of the TLRT Roller Inventory from HH. And Not all 3rd party Sellers ship themselves. AMZ will inventory a sellers product at times and charge the seller or buyer, for shipping service. Depends on their terms of service between the seller and AMZ.

Just like any place else, it pays to shop around. I still use Amazon a lot. But for RC stuff, mostly Amain or Horizon. I use Amazon's Credit card, and their points pretty much pay for my Prime fees and a bunch of other free stuff too so there is that..

Here in canada anythinf with prime has free shipping 1 day. Same day needs 25$
Amazon has like 200$ off retail in the fireteam for example. 649$ vs 859$ at the hobbyshop. Some deals on spares also being 30% off retail

Another side of it though is that the people actually selling the items on amazon are getting higher and higher fees from amazon for the fulfillment. We sell our products on there and they almost take 50% of the sale for their fees so the sellers have to charge a little more to make up for that. So for something the seller has up for $14 they are only going to see roughly $7 of that
Yep, it's a cycle..ebay used to be much worse than it is now..till amazon took over. I've been seeing higher prices on things from amazon for a long time.. free shipping was never really free. Once in a while I still find the items for the same price on amazon..and pounce when I do.😁
Case in point, Zeee batteries, I know, not great, but good enough for me. Anyway, they're more money on amazon than either Zeee's own website, or their ebay store.. all with free shipping. Well, might be after a certain dollar amount on their website but, stiil. More expensive on amazon.
Yeah, everyone loves amazon..except the sellers,LOL.
My sister in law used to make candles. Some organic, holistic crap, IDK, LOL. Things were going well, so much that she couldn't keep up with the making, packing and shipping..so, went to amazon marketplace. Let them do the shipping, sounds great right? Wrong, between their fees, lost and damaged product, she gave up right quick on that whole deal. The exposure from these markets is great, but comes at some really stiff costs..

Last edited:
I think what throws me off is I've mostly bought name brand rc tires from Amazon, typically they are the same price with fast/free shipping. I also buy a lot of cheap aluminum parts that save a lot over name brand. Looks like they select some items to be marked up, others are the same price as anywhere else.

I think what throws me off is I've mostly bought name brand rc tires from Amazon, typically they are the same price with fast/free shipping. I also buy a lot of cheap aluminum parts that save a lot over name brand. Looks like they select some items to be marked up, others are the same price as anywhere else.
Sometimes you find the same parts with different prices as well. Different sellers I guess? Bound to happen with such a huge marketplace.

Definitely agree with the sentiment expressed by others: it pays to shop around. Amazon does not always have the best prices (usually for me, they don't). Occasionally, you find good deals. I once found a seller who was selling a brand new HPI bullet chassis on Amazon for $8, shipped!!! Next closest i'd ever seen to that was $25 with $10 shipping on fleabay!

Like you've said, i've found that amazon listings are generally priced to include shipping, especially for items that most people only buy one at a time. So really, you're paying for shipping either way. Whereas something like amain or sellers on ebay give you their list price and then charge for shipping. And generally (USUALLY) shipping costs can be reduced if you are buying multiple items or duplicates. That's where I like to play.

Amazon preys on people who couldn't be troubled to shop around or wait just a few extra days for non-essential items.

As long as it's shipped by Amazon it generally should be free shipping. When it's shiped and sold by the 3rd party they generally charge for shipping. Speaking of Amain and shipping. Tried to order some parts today. The main warehouse is about 2 hours away form my house. Usually I get the $2.99 super shipper saving. Trying to order some A arms my my sons Big Rocks 3s. They want $6.39 for shipping. Plus they cost of the A arms are more expensive then what Amazon is charging. I hate to give Bezos any money but.....

1699389338308.png

Last edited:
As long as it's shipped by Amazon it generally should be free shipping. When it's shiped and sold by the 3rd party they generally charge for shipping. Speaking of Amain and shipping. Tried to order some parts today. The main warehouse is about 2 hours away form my house. Usually I get the $2.99 super shipper saving. Trying to order some A arms my my sons Big Rocks 3s. They want $6.39 for shipping. Plus they cost of the A arms are more expensive then what Amazon is charging. I hate to give Bezos any money but.....

View attachment 330637
Do you have prime? Cheaper atm on amazon than Amain..LOL. Amazon plays games with pricing though, I see pricing fluctuate daily..

Screenshot_20231107-154953_Samsung Internet.jpg

Yes sir. That’s exactly where my money went. Just didn’t want to give Bezos any more money.
I hear that.. and I like keeping as much of mine as I can.. aside from maybe supporting local, I buy where it's cheapest. Not a fan of Bezos, nor any conglomerate such as amazon, but I always look out for number one first.😉🍻

Do you have prime? Cheaper atm on amazon than Amain..LOL. Amazon plays games with pricing though, I see pricing fluctuate daily..

View attachment 330641
I seen prices fluctuate from my Cell phone, and then not logged into my PC at home. Different prices. I asked AMZ about that. They said they can do that. Pretty bold of them. They sometimes even charge different depending where you live. They charge based on your demographics. That's being prejudicial IMHO. Or if you are logged in or not on a different IP Address. AMZ plays dirty. Different prices. Many website sellers do this. Put and leave some things in your cart and never purchase them for days, then all of a sudden the next time you log in, they make deals or offer free non-Prime member shipping. Because not buying what's in your cart for some while, means you are most likely shopping better prices elsewhere. They know this. The Cookies reveal this to them also.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back