How many retired guys in here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hustle that money now why ya can.

When you retire don't sit down and die. Keep moving.

Only plan there is bro.
There are 2 basic types of retirees.
The ones that planned financially for an actual time when they do, and still want to.. having a structured financial plan for all the years.
And those that for unforseen reasons become physically disabled, then it becomes a scramble to assess where they are financially, and adapt. And rather quickly.
Most people never retire. Never even a consideration, because they cant, living from paycheck to paycheck their whole career.:(

I laugh at the term Semi retired.
You either are or you aren't retired.
Retiring, and having another "Job" to go to everyday, be it a part time or full time job or even Online Gig for supplemental $$, is not being Semi Retired IMHO. And Nothing wrong with doing that at all.
Just you are not retired. Maybe collecting a pension or income of sorts. Great. But you are still working. Many having no choice.

Retiring can be a blessing or a nightmare. Planning is the key. Some, as mentioned above are forced into retirement by no fault of their own and that's unfortunate. For those that have the ability to plan, it's imperative to have your home, cars, and ALL bills payed off before retiring. You would be surprised how little money you can live on without bills. Many can live on ss alone if planned properly. I'm one of them. It's imperative to invest in your 401k or just save in general. Above all, you need to master the ability to control your spending habits and live on a budget and yes, you can still live and not just exist. Proper budgeting is much more important than how much you make. Not rocket science, it's all about self discipline.

I agree with you 100%. I had zero bills when I retired. Everything I owned was paid off. Cars, my house (just built 2 years ago). Maybe this is where I tell you what my friends call me. Bruce Wayne. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: 😂 😂

I didn't think so, that is the uncle's job 🤣
Now that is funny. :ROFLMAO:
2 homes and 3 cars pd for. But the taxes, insurance, oil, and so on, still add up. We are lucky though. Our health not so much. We are happy in retirement. Plan on selling our home in Searsport, and keeping this one. Getting old aint for sissys. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
The main problem with retirement is that you are now on a fixed income. And there is little if any inflation hedge to keep things going sometimes. If you are quite Both wealthy and frugal at the same time, you are good. Not the majority of us.
I initially noticed that I was spending more $$ than when I was working. More time on your hands etc. Good to have some toys and spending on yourself etc. Like that gym membership or whatever. I had a gym at my job. Now I don't as one example.
I got a long ways to go before I retire 😁.but that's fine with me because retirement doesn't seem all that from most I've heard..your old ,you stop moving and then things go south..but if retirement is working out for ,then I wish you all the best and enjoy every second of it ..👍I'll be back in this thread in about 19 years.For those who were forced to retire sooner i wish you all the best
Old is just a state of mind.
I know guys half my age that act older and think much older than I. Some think retiring means you are old. Never retire or plan it because they think that way. Might as well embrace it.
Because the clock is always ticking no matter what.
At some point it's always better to be on your own clock , than your bosses. Only you will know when that is. No one else can tell you. Not even your better half.

Last edited:
Again, I believe it's all about discipline. Everywhere you turn...buy now pay latter. No interest until? Gotta have it now! Gotta keep up with the Jones! People buy into this. Retirement approaches fast...better have a plan.

It's pretty nuts, consumer debt is growing at a breakneck pace.

There are few things in life I want so badly I'm willing to pay more than they actually cost. Outside of a house, if I can't afford it outright I ain't buying it ... and I get that doesn't really help if you can't even afford the basics, but for a lot of people the pain is self-inflicted.

The main problem with retirement is that you are now on a fixed income. And there is little if any inflation hedge to keep things going sometimes. If you are quite Both wealthy and frugal at the same time, you are good. Not the majority of us.
I initially noticed that I was spending more $$ than when I was working. More time on your hands etc. Good to have some toys and spending on yourself etc. Like that gym membership or whatever. I had a gym at my job. Now I don't as one example.

Old is just a state of mind.
I know guys half my age that act older and think much older than I. Some think retiring means you are old. Never retire or plan it because they think that way. Might as well embrace it.
Because the clock is always ticking no matter what.
We're all pretty much on a fixed income, working or not. Many employees receive a constant salary while some have the flexibility of overtime or bonuses which is good. Most raises these days do not keep up with inflation anyway. The key is to have your investments there IF you need them but not rely on them. As for toys, buy and pay for them BEFORE you retire... Do NOT finance toys...or cars if you can help it. I hear you on the old guys. I can't even date women my own age as they can't keep up physically and in some cases mentally. Old is just a state of mind..agreed.
I would love to retire, but just can't afford too. At 60 I'm worried that my body won't take much more, but until then I'm kind of stuck. :(
What you do for a living?

Again, I believe it's all about discipline. Everywhere you turn...buy now pay latter. No interest until? Gotta have it now! Gotta keep up with the Jones! People buy into this. Retirement approaches fast...better have a plan.
I did it with PayPal. Not good. :cool:

Hustle that money now why ya can.

When you retire don't sit down and die. Keep moving.

Only plan there is bro.
I've seen many hard working skilled trade laborers made a great living, financially, all set in the end, working till very late in their lives. Still strong and fit.
They finally retire, then suddenly they die within a few years, getting very sick. Like clock work. I guess it's a shock to their body??? IDK. Weird but true. I seen this so many times.

I retired from the USAF, Worked at the post office after that. Husband retired as a NY City school administrator, PHD in education. We do well. The problem is we spend $. I like Rcs, He likes his hobbies. With that said our daughter will inherit when we die. You can't take it with you. :ROFLMAO:

I thought retirement was going to be a tough transition. We often see ourselves and measure our self worth by what we do. When we retire, some wonder who they are now without that job title and it can be depressing. Unfortunately in this country, we are judged by our careers. I cannot wrap my head around people complaining that they are bored and miss their job, but to each their own. I guess it's great that they love there job so much. I believe a good work/ life balance helps one to transition into retirement more easily. I'm fortunate, I'm happier and more content now than any other time in my life. Luckily I still have my health and that makes me a rich man. That could change tomorrow so seize the moment. First ss check arrives next wed. Be nice to get a check again..been awhile!

I retired at 61 and have been work free for 2 years now. I don't miss work one bit and life is great now, although my health is not as good as it once was. I would not go back to work unless I was starving to death and maybe not then either. Work sucks.

I've seen many hard working skilled trade laborers made a great living, financially, all set in the end, working till very late in their lives. Still strong and fit.
They finally retire, then suddenly they die within a few years, getting very sick. Like clock work. I guess it's a shock to their body??? IDK. Weird but true. I seen this so many times.

I believe your completely correct. Every hard laborer I've known to retire past away within a couple to few years if they didn't keep busy.

I believe if your body is used to it you'd better stay active or bad things will happen. Our bodies get used to a certain thing and aren't happy when it's changed after that many years.

What you do for a living?
I work in a reprographics shop, fancy name for a print shop. I do everything from graphic design, laser engraving, vinyl graphics, banners, large format color printing, sign printing and probably a few other things I'm not thinking of right now. I spend part of the day at the computer and part of the day printing and finishing signage. We only do signs up to 4'x8' but those aluminum sheets get heavy.

People who can retire, but don't, because they don't know what to do with themselves, make me crazy. I have too many hobbies and not enough time to enjoy them. Being the creative type, I could find something to keep me busy for little expense and be happy. just need to be able to afford to still live a moderate lifestyle.

Last edited:
After I retired I found myself busier than ever. ha. I don't miss work at all. Guess what , I deserve to take it easy before I die. :cool:
I really only had like 3 jobs in my life. I stuck with the same employer like forever. It paid off for me, and I got to see the world. 🇺🇲

Last edited:
I don't miss my job. 24 years with no advancement opportunities. It paid very well. Worked with some great guys. Definitely provided for the family. It used to be rewarding. After the last 4 years it has changed so much. I think I will leave that topic alone for now.🤔🙄

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back