How many retired guys in here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After I retired I found myself busier than ever. ha. I don't miss work at all. Guess what , I deserve to take it easy before I die. :cool:
I really only had like 3 jobs in my life. I stuck with the same employer like forever. It paid off for me, and I got to see the world. 🇺🇲
Same..just 3 jobs since 17 yrs old. Last one was 20 years for a family owned pest, lawn and termite company. Loved it! They sold out during my last year there. Was going to go another year but glad I didn't. Summers were brutal and company changed drastically.

I don't miss running, and PT. I hate exercise. That sucked hard. Was ok at 1st, just gets old. Moving stinks when you like where you are and OBTW you're moving. :mad: . But oh well, no more of that.👍 . Too tired. Night y'all.

Dang!

You all give me hope. Good job, retirees. I am 51 and have been at my job for 25 years. I'm a Dave Ramsey type guy. I have no bills outside of the mortgage, so I need to pay this off for this new home we built. Credit excellent, 401k strong and good.... I'd love to stop, but not time. Hold a spot for me in a few years. I "pray" to be in your club!!

Dang!

You all give me hope. Good job, retirees. I am 51 and have been at my job for 25 years. I'm a Dave Ramsey type guy. I have no bills outside of the mortgage, so I need to pay this off for this new home we built. Credit excellent, 401k strong and good.... I'd love to stop, but not time. Hold a spot for me in a few years. I "pray" to be in your club!!
I've been using Dave Ramsey techniques before I even knew of him. Great self made guy!

I've been using Dave Ramsey techniques before I even knew of him. Great self made guy!

The owner of the shop I work with followed his techniques.
I don't know much about him but I can tell you the guy I'm talking about lives well and has been extremely successful for himself. He's mentioned Dave Ramsey before to me in helping him get where he has.
Think I should look into this Dave and see what it's about. 🤔

The owner of the shop I work with followed his techniques.
I don't know much about him but I can tell you the guy I'm talking about lives well and has been extremely successful for himself. He's mentioned Dave Ramsey before to me in helping him get where he has.
Think I should look into this Dave and see what it's about. 🤔
Tons of u-tube vids on him coaching call in people.

When I retire, I'll find a job.
Most people get that second job. A not so serious one, so that if they are dicking you, you can say go Fk yourself.

Most people get that second job. A not so serious one, so that if they are dicking you, you can say go Fk yourself.
I've got 0 reasons to not say that NOW lol. I know I'll be doing something. Maybe I'll open up an RC shop.

There always is that beer cart driver at a local course too;)

I suggest plenty of excercise and RC or any hobby that helps the mind stay active also. What everyone else retired says.
Stay off the boob tube. It will eat you alive, before you realize it.
Its all too easy to become a couch potato.
A body in motion stays in motion. Whatever excercise activity you can do. Even a good walk every day after dinner is a big plus.
Always get a good 8 hours sleep at a minimum. Every day. You will live longer. Fact.
You are on your own clock now. No job to run to. Make that work for you. You worked hard for years, now this is your time at the back end. Be there, healthy for your family.
:cool:
I will be retiring in December and agree with everything SRC has said about staying active both physically and mentally. And spending fun time with your hobbies and of course RC hobby should be number 1 on your hobby list Lol.

I retired 15 years ago at 55 and have never regretted it. Not wealthy but I can do what I want when I choose to do it. First thing I did was sell my alarm clock and work boots, lol.
Just stay active in mind and body, go volunteer somewhere. Make more use of the rc toys you already have, no need to keep buying more.
I retired at 55, I'm 60 now. I don't even know what an alarm clock is anymore. I stay active, and do enjoy the rc thing. 💥 😁🏁👍

If it's too personal tell me to get lost, but what are you doing about health insurance at age 55? I'm 56 now and would love to retire, but it's impossibly expensive here. A big expense is the cost of health insurance. I've heard ridiculous like $25-$30K/year. Certainly can't afford that, I'd have to sell some RCs.

If it's too personal tell me to get lost, but what are you doing about health insurance at age 55? I'm 56 now and would love to retire, but it's impossibly expensive here. A big expense is the cost of health insurance. I've heard ridiculous like $25-$30K/year. Certainly can't afford that, I'd have to sell some RCs.
Allow me to share my experience. I retired at 60.. I'm 62 now. I called the open market place to inquire about health insurance. Heres what they asked me and I swear to God it's all true. My age, my address and my income and marital status. I am single. I told them my income is zero because I retired. Although I have an IRA and a Roth, I was not touching it and been living off savings. They did NOT ask a single question as to my health, if I smoke, drink, own a home or what my assets are. She told me I qualify for a FREE Florida health care plan. I received my insurance card in the mail 10 days later. The entire phone call took 10 minutes. The plan they offered me for free was a better plan than I ever had in 43 years of working. If your married, and spouse works, might not be so lucky. Here's a statement I get every month and what it would cost.

IMG_20240113_132508807.jpg

Last edited:
I “semi” retired from USAF active duty last year , not yet 49 years young .
I say semi retired because since I retired I have been a retail supervisor for a U.S. based cheap tool shop ( Harbor Freight ) I was a sewing machine mecahic for a few months ( a trade I enjoyed but it was temp job ) and now I’m a substitute K-12 teacher .
If you want to keep your mind and body active , chasing kindergartners is a great way to stay physically and mentally young .
I may go back to school and pursue my FAA airframe and powerplant license , and get certified to be a full time Tech Education teacher. ( part of my time in the Air Force was as a tech instructor)

I love part time teaching as it gives my the work / life balance I never had deploying for 20 years . If I want extra money for RC beyond my pension and teaching pay , I deliver food for door dash .
I love the flexibility of setting my own hours, I live in a watershed that’s considered a destination for walleye fishing, I’ve used my nitros RCs more than I ever did when I was active duty , and I’ve been able to attend 2 NFL games.
No compalints
If not for having military insurance ( and VA ) I would not be able to work part time and have the flexibility I do. I would certainly be working somewhere full time just to get their benefit package.

Last edited:
I retired at 65 partially because I have serious back issues, need to use a walker and always in some sort of pain, all which I can manage.

Before I retired I made sure money was fine and my wife was fine with it.

Then I made sure I would enjoy new and old activities that I used to do. Got my son into indoor RC racing and I help build and maintain the cars. Bought an Arma Tycoon for outdoor fun, more maintain car stuff, all fun. Got into 3d printing and as a nerd at heart love it. Always been into hardware and software so hacking away with raspberry pi's etc.

Hang out with my wife and do many activities with her. Sadly not walking with her but instead drive to the lake and park where I can watch the beach and the activities while she hunts for tumbled glass.

Son just got 1987 Fiero so helping get it fixed up.

Then got back into contact with old friends. Also retired and hanging out with them.

Wish I could do more but being older I am exhausted so nice to relax sometime.

I think all you need to do is think about all the things you like to do, the things you would like to do, and all the old friends you can contact, then go for it.

Happy retirement.

Yeah whatever happened to Obama's "supposedly" Affordable Health Care Act anyway? Our Cattle Taxes pay into that already.:unsure:
Is that only for the 11 million Illegals in the last 3 years??:mad:
What a scam!

Yep....as I said above, I'm not retired yet and have some years to go. Certainly, health care is top of mind as a need for retirement.

We need another word for people like me who are retired but not retired. As of January 1, 2024 I am now receiving a pension (retirement) check after working for 27 years as an elementary school teacher. However, to make ends meet I will continue to work as soon as a substitute teaching to subsidize my income. (I still have a mortgage and a child in collage) I can't say I'm retired because I will continue working but I am receiving a retirement check so what word do you use for people like me?
I am "sort of retired"?

I'll probably work till I die. Insurance a big reason. I've talked to several people who are at retirement age but just can't afford medical care outside of work. I can barely afford it working. I don't use it unless needed. Deductible is outrageous along with premium.

Retiring can be a blessing or a nightmare. Planning is the key. Some, as mentioned above are forced into retirement by no fault of their own and that's unfortunate. For those that have the ability to plan, it's imperative to have your home, cars, and ALL bills payed off before retiring. You would be surprised how little money you can live on without bills. Many can live on ss alone if planned properly. I'm one of them. It's imperative to invest in your 401k or just save in general. Above all, you need to master the ability to control your spending habits and live on a budget and yes, you can still live and not just exist. Proper budgeting is much more important than how much you make. Not rocket science, it's all about self discipline.
This guy is WAY correct on the subject. Pay off debt and you can retire at the minimum SS for full benefits and you can live off social security in most states.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back