Limitless Any tips for approaching an airport about speed runs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You sir keep a wicked clean rig! My ocd loves it man.. I can't stand dirty rc. I swear 25% of my rc hobby is driving, 50% wrenching and 25% cleaning šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚

Did you mention what that aluminum module was? Brand? Looks legit!
I clean every bit of dirt dust. Iā€™m super OCD. Any little scuff or dirt a grain of sand. Makes me crazy.

Hereā€™s new pics I just took of both cars. My only two cars I ever owned.
the Tt02 I had a Rlaarlo ak917 body in it with lights, body fan etc. it was totally destroyed after the last run. Now I rebuilt it and havenā€™t driven it. Only turned it in and calibrated it. Then let it run in the stand a little to check for anything loose or weird noises etc.

Pics are for whatā€™s his face who thinks Iā€™m full kaka šŸ‘¦
IMG_1605.jpeg
IMG_1604.jpeg
IMG_1603.jpeg
IMG_1602.jpeg

You sir keep a wicked clean rig! My ocd loves it man.. I can't stand dirty rc. I swear 25% of my rc hobby is driving, 50% wrenching and 25% cleaning šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚

Did you mention what that aluminum module was? Brand? Looks legit!
IMG_0931.jpeg
IMG_0995.jpeg
IMG_1095.jpeg

It was just a generic kit that comes complete already. The vendor I got it from was named ā€œPowerhobbyā€. Came from china. Right away the diff covers where the screws go broke just from a simple dissasmble and reassemble when I greased the diffs and checked inside the housing to see if the gears were metal. Which they were. Besides that it wasnā€™t too bad. It ran me like $120.00 shipped. Plus because I had so many issues with cheap plastic breaking before I ever even drove it, they gave me a partial refund and told me to keep the car.
IMG_1237.jpeg

This is how much of an amateur I truly am. I buy the vendetta and I was under the impression that the vendetta is just a 4x4 version of the limitless. So I said hmmm. I canā€™t drive too well yet. So let me get a car that can take bumps. Then I ordered perfect pass springs and tried to fit them into the vendetta shocks. It was comical.

The other thing I noticed about the perfect pass speedrun springs. They literally seemed like valve springs from a corvette LS lmotor or something. Lmao. šŸ˜‚

Last edited:
The lights are so useful. I've lost mine in the shadows during the day at like 800 ft away. It's much smaller than you think. Yeah I know that's what she said. Ha ha. At some point I will be putting lights on mine for day time running but I've got a bit on the honey do list at the moment.

Please tell my you have a platform on your 4Runner. Cars are not meant for standing on these days. Poor cars.

Looking around the area you have so many potentially good roads. Any location I would drive the length of the road and look for debri, pot holes, whatever before hand.

Also is it a problem with the Ford place if you park there? They may not care, you may not want to ask, I dunno, but it's a car dealership in the middle of the night. That spot looks good from the pics but there are some turtles or remnants of turtles. You don't want to hit those at speed. Turn 180 from your view and you can see it.
View attachment 343796

Also watch out for the pit of despair. I saw one video of a car going down the hole and he went in after it. Not much of a choice there.
View attachment 343797

Great point about the debri. Cut tires are bad for planes and expensive. In my are area they are afraid of (California) wild fires like you wouldn't believe. No one want's to be "that guy" that started the <blah blah> wild fire.

There is one air base that we could potentially run at. Alameda Naval Air Station. It's been long since abandon and it use primarily for TV/Movies now. It was a favorite location for Mythbusters.
View attachment 343806

It's generally pretty open the public which can be a problem because you can't tell people to not walk their dog. The winds can be gusty with no protection from the bay. The penalty for loosing control is a watery grave. Also it's not really maintained and can be dirty. Then if you zoom in you see the damage from years of neglect. At some point I'm going to go check it out in person.
View attachment 343807
Put lights on mine but I wish I had a road like that

20231216_164730.jpg

20231216_164615.jpg

20231216_164702.jpg

20231216_164520.jpg

I live 5 mins from the now shut down Atlanta Dragway. Been to so many races there over the years & even took a couple of my personal cars down the track. It's 1/4 mile plus the slow down. Been abandoned/sold for like 2 yrs. I'm sure it's grown all up but I've thought about it, getting a speed run there. But it's 'posted' too. Couple miles the other way is an entrance to a industrial park that is also 1/4 mile straight, perfectly flat & straight, new asphalt. Oh I've thought about it.

That looks really awesome šŸ˜Ž. I canā€™t wait to do my Limitless build. Iā€™m going to document step by step on this forum. I bought the Lamborghini style taillights from Amazon. Theyā€™re cheaply made and I thought I would be able to fit them in the vendettas rear using one of the side wing holes. But they ended up rotating inward and I canā€™t get them to sit straight. Theyā€™re made for a limitless.
I live 5 mins from the now shut down Atlanta Dragway. Been to so many races there over the years & even took a couple of my personal cars down the track. It's 1/4 mile plus the slow down. Been abandoned/sold for like 2 yrs. I'm sure it's grown all up but I've thought about it, getting a speed run there. But it's 'posted' too. Couple miles the other way is an entrance to an industrial park that is also 1/4 mile straight, perfectly flat & straight, new asphalt. Oh I've thought about it.
That sounds promising. I wish I knew of a spot like that. Nothing a weed whacker canā€™t fix.šŸƒšŸŽļø

Last edited:
That looks really awesome šŸ˜Ž. I canā€™t wait to do my Limitless build. Iā€™m going to document step by step on this forum. I bought the Lamborghini style taillights from Amazon. Theyā€™re cheaply made and I thought I would be able to fit them in the vendettas rear using one of the side wing holes. But they ended up rotating inward and I canā€™t get them to sit straight. Theyā€™re made for a limitless.

That sounds promising. I wish I knew of a spot like that. Nothing a weed whacker canā€™t fix.šŸƒšŸŽļø

Any photos?

View attachment 343974View attachment 343975View attachment 343976

It was just a generic kit that comes complete already. The vendor I got it from was named ā€œPowerhobbyā€. Came from china. Right away the diff covers where the screws go broke just from a simple dissasmble and reassemble when I greased the diffs and checked inside the housing to see if the gears were metal. Which they were. Besides that it wasnā€™t too bad. It ran me like $120.00 shipped. Plus because I had so many issues with cheap plastic breaking before I ever even drove it, they gave me a partial refund and told me to keep the car.
View attachment 343994
This is how much of an amateur I truly am. I buy the vendetta and I was under the impression that the vendetta is just a 4x4 version of the limitless. So I said hmmm. I canā€™t drive too well yet. So let me get a car that can take bumps. Then I ordered perfect pass springs and tried to fit them into the vendetta shocks. It was comical.

The other thing I noticed about the perfect pass speedrun springs. They literally seemed like valve springs from a corvette LS lmotor or something. Lmao. šŸ˜‚
PP springs are quite tuned well for a 1/7 Lim/ Infr. Platform. Everyone who has them say they are a game changer. I never tried them. But have gotten every single option spring from Arrma to try. No matter what, I always had an issue with the front or the rear, whatever combination of springs I used.
I need the PP ones for sure. They come as a full matched set , Fronts and Rears I believe.

If you have to ask, the answer is going to be no. No one in sad modern times will let you do anything because of liability. Unless of course the airport is closed, and isn't surrounded by 30ft tall chainlink fence and no trespassing signs, then maybe you have a shot.

I'd be surprised if they OK'd you playing hopscotch on the tarmac, let alone racing a toy car at 100mph.
Fod, foreign objects can be a killer to jet engines. Not good for prop jobs either. Why would an airport allow that? Heck you can't even fly a drone near one.

Play with a Lazer light, near a airport. See where that gets you. Airports and RCs don't mix, is all. My drone has a built in GPS. After 400 ft high, it will not exceed that height. Closer than 20 miles or so to an airport, and it will warn me. I had to register my drone with the FAA. Now you don't need to. That's why RCs and airports Don't mesh well together. If you run a car on an active runway, even it's not in use. You might crash your rig and loose parts. Hence FOD.

Last edited:
I live 5 mins from the now shut down Atlanta Dragway. Been to so many races there over the years & even took a couple of my personal cars down the track. It's 1/4 mile plus the slow down. Been abandoned/sold for like 2 yrs. I'm sure it's grown all up but I've thought about it, getting a speed run there. But it's 'posted' too. Couple miles the other way is an entrance to a industrial park that is also 1/4 mile straight, perfectly flat & straight, new asphalt. Oh I've thought about it.

It's a shame these places keep going belly up. I'd bet it's a combination of cost, liability and local Karens. Just can't have any fun these days.

Something to check out. If you get to go there look at the surface carefully, some the drag strips are pretty rough. They can have a 1/2" layer of rubber spots in the launch area. A 1/2" of rubber for a giant wrinkle slick is nothing but for a 100mm (~4") tire it's a pretty big bump and a massive change in traction.

That's awesome. Can you share some details on what you did?

It's a shame these places keep going belly up. I'd bet it's a combination of cost, liability and local Karens. Just can't have any fun these days.

Something to check out. If you get to go there look at the surface carefully, some the drag strips are pretty rough. They can have a 1/2" layer of rubber spots in the launch area. A 1/2" of rubber for a giant wrinkle slick is nothing but for a 100mm (~4") tire it's a pretty big bump and a massive change in traction.
I hate it too. Been going to races there since I was a kid. Took my kids. I raced my Chevelle there. It's a long story, actually, why it's done. The media is what is but it's more to it. Condensed: lack of funds for track renewal, EPA, incoming foreign investors, housing market, water authority, etc. We all thought it was going to be a huge planned condo village with a strip mall & grocery store. Nah. Something gave thru. It's a derelict. Something wasn't right. But hell if I could sneak down there & the asphalt wasn't to beat & grown up, Infraction speed runs. Just don't want to get an Infraction while I'm there.

Sweet looking build man!

Last edited:
I hate it too. Been going to races there since I was a kid. Took my kids. I raced my Chevelle there. It's a long story, actually, why it's done. The media is what is but it's more to it. Condensed: lack of funds for track renewal, EPA, incoming foreign investors, housing market, water authority, etc. We all thought it was going to be a huge planned condo village with a strip mall & grocery store. Nah. Something gave thru. It's a derelict. Something wasn't right. But hell if I could sneak down there & the asphalt wasn't to beat & grown up, Infraction speed runs. Just don't want to get an Infraction while I'm there.
I think I've seen the Roadkill guys there a few times.

We had a few local bay area tracks at one point. Baylands Raceway was a drag strip that is now a shopping center. All kinds of politics shut it down and the owner finally caved.
http://www.speedwayandroadracehistory.com/baylands-raceway-park.html

Altamont Raceway was closed for a long time then it was reopened and the shut down effort immediately started and it's closed again.

The site above is pretty interesting.

Me?

Last edited:
Any photos? I tried mounting them but I canā€™t get them to stay or sit right. Because the vendetta body just wonā€™t allow it to sit flush. So the best I could do was they were secured but they turned inwards towards the middle of the inside of the car. Looked absolutely stupid. Theyā€™re only made for a limitless. Plus if you see the zip bag. I had to trim that much off the led strip to slide in the led strip into each housing. Nothing really to secure that in either. So I tried mounting it where the strip would be against the body, but it donā€™t fit right. I bet if I play with it more. I can get them to fit.
IMG_1626.jpeg
IMG_1625.jpeg
IMG_1624.jpeg

PP springs are quite tuned well for a 1/7 Lim/ Infr. Platform. Everyone who has them say they are a game changer. I never tried them. But have gotten every single option spring from Arrma to try. No matter what, I always had an issue with the front or the rear, whatever combination of springs I used.
I need the PP ones for sure. They come as a full matched set , Fronts and Rears I believe.
The set I purchased were Four 40mm springs. I was trying to put them into the aftermarket RCAWD shocks and they fit but one slight bump the spring will dislodge from the shock. Just not big enough of a shock. I was playing with the idea to run four limitless shocks. The shorter 76mm ones then out the PP springs back on and see. But then Iā€™m concerned about clearance ride height etc. Iā€™m not sure if I should buy some and Hope they fit in my vendetta. I tend to do that when I donā€™t get clear answers to my questions. But I waste quite a lot of money testing out other options and ideas.
Only 1 way to find out. ā˜Žļø
They definitely were stiff as heck. If I can have that firmness on all four. Iā€™d be pretty happy. Donā€™t even need the dampening from the shocks themselves with those in my opinion. They are that stiff.
Hmmm less than 1 hour away. Yā€™all think theyā€™ll say yes?

View attachment 344452

Last edited:
You just need my Vendetta "tail fin support" to mount those lights to..

I'll have to dig around to find my design file...
It's been a while..
I would still buy it from you if you can make it? Donā€™t own a printer. But I just took another crack at it and managed to mount them. But I literally had to solder the led strip back to the wires. I pulled them out trying to fold the end over to fit it. I resoldered it quick. Then I just used 3m double sided mounting tape. Cut it to a strip the size of the flat part of the housing and put it in the spot I wanted.

If I leave it like this, Iā€™m going to have to get a Y connector. Be a I AN NOT going through that much trouble to plug up the lights everytime I put in the body. I mean. This will help greatly. GREATLY if I can see the car and know which way itā€™s facing just by having the back lights. Let me know what you think ? Any tips ?

I just ordered a stupidrc vendetta wheelie bar also. I figured it will help prevent blow overs. Coming soon. These wheelie bar pics are from the ad. Not my own. Pics of vendetta I just took now.
IMG_1634.jpeg
IMG_1633.jpeg
IMG_1631.jpeg
IMG_1628.jpeg
IMG_1629.jpeg

Check it out..

IMG_1622.png

IMG_1634.jpeg
IMG_1633.jpeg
IMG_1629.jpeg

I managed to fit them and had to redo the connection because the wires are so small I literally yanked one out when I tried folding the end over to hide the strip. I only used 3m double sided tape. I need to figure out how to actually mount them using the side wing screws somehow. What you think?

Now I can at least see it when I go out with it this week. Tomorrow Friday and Saturday. I will be going for a PB on stock motor and Esc. Will see! Or Iā€™ll seeā€¦ now. Haha.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back