Limitless Any tips for approaching an airport about speed runs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dure16

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Typhon TLR
I’ve seen several people here talk about speed running on a runway and hope to learn about the experience.

There’s a small regional airport near my house with pretty limited hours. I think flights end at 5pm. It is owned and run by the city (I think).

After hours speed running sounds like a dream, but I imagine they’d be hesitant to let a random dude on the runway with his toys.

How would you approach the airport about the idea?

I’ve seen several people here talk about speed running on a runway and hope to learn about the experience.

There’s a small regional airport near my house with pretty limited hours. I think flights end at 5pm. It is owned and run by the city (I think).

After hours speed running sounds like a dream, but I imagine they’d be hesitant to let a random dude on the runway with his toys.

I had a dead airport near my house that I allways went to and last summer I got stopped by local police and said "your trespassing" I said " is there a plane coming? Cop said don't be a smart ass and leave or I'll take all your equipment and give you a 500 dollar fine plus arrest you.so I said thank you for your services and packed up and left..🤷

They will simply say No.liabilty reasons..
Try to find a business complex center.most of the times there is a long road behind them where trailers load .I have a few that are allways pretty quiet.

Last edited:
Maybe stealth mode?🤷‍♂️

BI07W10_1_4_1080x_da25a136-8f96-4cb4-822d-3086d1fbae0e_480x.jpg

That outfit might open up a lot of new bashing opportunities... :ROFLMAO:

There is a small airstrip near me, not busy, but gets used enough for flying lessons and such I doubt they would allow speed runs.

All you can d is go talk to them, worst they can say is 'No'.
On commercial airports, check side roads that are typically used for maintenance, they might be a good opportunity if they are not part of the airport.

I have asked 4 small regional airports and got a no from all of them.
I know some guys that were using one in the NorthEast part of the US. Management was ok with it, but then a duche pilot complained to the FAA and got them kicked out.
Always wondered if local drag strips would care 🤔
The problem is that once you hit speeds over 140 you will want over 2000 ft.
Usually drag strips pavement dramatically ends around that distance.

All you can d is go talk to them, worst they can say is 'No'.
On commercial airports, check side roads that are typically used for maintenance, they might be a good opportunity if they are not part of the airport.
I think this is the best bet tbh. I live next to a small airport and there is a long road right next to it. I've yet to actually go over there but looked decent on google maps :ROFLMAO:

The drag strip near my house has very undesirable surface (for a 1:10 or 1:8) and not the kind of consistency or conditions i'd want to run an RC on for speed runs. Airports runways seem like the idea place since they should be flat, relatively free of rubber, and nearly consistent from one end to another.

I've been doing similar to what has been described here about finding sidings/roads that accost an airport or large fenced area. They tend to be pretty flat. The next trick is finding a time when those roads are least busy.

I did hear about a neighborhood an hour away with a private airport that's almost never used. Might need to go makes some friends with rich people so i can use it... :unsure:

The drag strip near my house has very undesirable surface (for a 1:10 or 1:8) and not the kind of consistency or conditions i'd want to run an RC on for speed runs. Airports runways seem like the idea place since they should be flat, relatively free of rubber, and nearly consistent from one end to another.

I've been doing similar to what has been described here about finding sidings/roads that accost an airport or large fenced area. They tend to be pretty flat. The next trick is finding a time when those roads are least busy.

I did hear about a neighborhood an hour away with a private airport that's almost never used. Might need to go makes some friends with rich people so i can use it... :unsure:
From personal experience I can tell you that between 1:30 and 3:30AM is the sweet spot. Even what are normally busy roads are pretty empty around that time. :)

If you have to ask, the answer is going to be no. No one in sad modern times will let you do anything because of liability. Unless of course the airport is closed, and isn't surrounded by 30ft tall chainlink fence and no trespassing signs, then maybe you have a shot.

I'd be surprised if they OK'd you playing hopscotch on the tarmac, let alone racing a toy car at 100mph.

Not a good idea. A lot of Class Delta airfields still have airplane activity after hours. So even if the tower personnel leaves for the night you might have a Cirrus SR22 turn your Limitless into a sock during a landing. Also unauthorized people/vehicles on a runway or taxiway is considered an incursion in the eyes of the FAA.

This stands true even for un-towered airfields. Your best bet is to find the owners of an airfield listed as "PRIVATE" and contacting them for permission. But unless whoever is in charge is an RC enthusiast themselves I can see the answer being no.

Besides, if you lose it and your Limitless flies off the runway at 120 and hits one of these guys ..

3813_b7fd46b4-4000-4995-8466-d66991f20425.jpg

you'll go right through it. Then there is damage to the airfield which will be considered an incident or accident depending on how much you cause in damage. Then the feds show up to the airport almost immediately. Ask me how I know.

I would just go to the widest empty road you can find and avoid airports all together

If you have to ask, the answer is going to be no. No one in sad modern times will let you do anything because of liability. Unless of course the airport is closed, and isn't surrounded by 30ft tall chainlink fence and no trespassing signs, then maybe you have a shot.

I'd be surprised if they OK'd you playing hopscotch on the tarmac, let alone racing a toy car at 100mph.
I don't think it's quite so cut and dry as that. @vwturbowolf did some speed runs on an airport runway recently that, if I'm not mistaken, they got permission for so, it's not an impossibility. Is it likely that you'll get denied? I'd say the chances that one says yes are pretty low but you'll never know for sure if you don't ask.

I don't think it's quite so cut and dry as that. @vwturbowolf did some speed runs on an airport runway recently that, if I'm not mistaken, they got permission for so, it's not an impossibility. Is it likely that you'll get denied? I'd say the chances that one says yes are pretty low but you'll never know for sure if you don't ask.
Yeah, this may be the rare occasion where asking permission "might" be better than forgiveness 🤔😬😉😂

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back