Limitless Any tips for approaching an airport about speed runs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve seen several people here talk about speed running on a runway and hope to learn about the experience.

There’s a small regional airport near my house with pretty limited hours. I think flights end at 5pm. It is owned and run by the city (I think).

After hours speed running sounds like a dream, but I imagine they’d be hesitant to let a random dude on the runway with his toys.

How would you approach the airport about the idea?
I’ve been contemplating the very same thing.

I was going to take my time and type up some very nice emails and send out to some spots. I was already searching local privately owned airports. I wasn’t optimistic about the feedback I’d get but I was thinking I won’t know unless I try.
I also drive by Floyd Bennett field everyday to my latest job site. I try to keep me head straight as I pass. It hurts me to see those cracks in that huge expanse of flattop.

Always wondered if local drag strips would care 🤔
That's actually a good idea .sometimes I go to my local high school .they have a long oval track for the schools track team and it's a nice long track .not enough to hit a speed over 100 but I still get decent passes there.track is grippy .just have to watch out for the old lady's walking around 🤣
Ive been wanting to try some speed runs. Seems 5-6am weekend mornings is the only good time to try, lots of empty roads at that time.
I tryed early morning passes and you have to worry about the mourning dew..sometimes the road is wet and doesn't work well.

I don't think it's quite so cut and dry as that. @vwturbowolf did some speed runs on an airport runway recently that, if I'm not mistaken, they got permission for so, it's not an impossibility. Is it likely that you'll get denied? I'd say the chances that one says yes are pretty low but you'll never know for sure if you don't ask.
Of course it's not so cut and dry, and perhaps it has to do with where I'm located. Lots of states hate fun, pure and simple, like the one I'm from :) But others don't really care much if it's not affecting anyone. Ideally they just say yes, and in terms of running on an active airport then it's definitely better to ask permission than ask forgiveness! Don't want to go getting yourself in hot water...

In the uk you have to have a BRCA membership which gives you 10 mil liability cover. And it needs to be as an “organised event”. And we hire the runway. Which is fairly costly but when there’s a few of you it’s not really much for a full day of running.

I’d look for ones that hold car events etc on runways and approach them. Not sure what type of cover is available in other countries but something like this will be needed.

Hope that helps.
Ps any one know any different then let me know.

From what I have heard race tracks are some of the best surfaces out there and plenty of days where they don't have racing going on.
Just don't exists all over or near by is the problem.

Speaking only for road courses in Nor Call. Getting access to race track is not that difficult. It's a matter of money, contracts and safety protocols. It's not cheap either. Unless they are closed for some reason and you "have a buddy" they sometimes have test days during the week. So you may need to rend the entire facility.

However, most of the race tracks around here don't have a long enough straight away to be useful. Sears Point has 4000 feet, but about 1400 of that is drag strip and the rest is up/down hill, depending on your direction.
1686410253087.png

This is why dragstips suck for RC cars. That mottling is build up rubber. It's uneven and bumpy.
1686410351188.png

Thunderhill would be better surface, but it's only 2800 ft and 4 hours on a good day. It's also 100+ (°F) in the summer.
1686410456848.png

Laguna Seca's 1300 ft on front straight and it'is up/downhill and blind.
1686410613579.png

I'm not sure how good the surface is but down the Texas way you might check with Hennessey Performance. They have their personal test track. I'm not sure how far this is from you?
9281 SW I-10 Frontage Rd Sealy, Texas 77474
1686411119341.png

Any airstrip FAA regulated it is a violation to have civilians on the runway or unattended on the grounds.
Most likely even more so since 9/11 sadly.

The airstrip we had access to was granted by the owner, it was a flight school and skydiving spot. But one of the pilots that used the runway who lived a few houses down didn’t like that we were there and instead of talking to the owner he went and filed a complaint with FAA against the owner. So you can see how many variables I guess there are.
I currently have a meeting setup with an air park a lot closer then the 2+hr trip to jersey for that airstrip and the way I went about it was called and spoke with the manager. Tried to be short and to the point, stressed safety above everything else and the fact that if anyone needs the runway I would be off the runway during that time. Told him I was attempting to break the world record (which I’m not ) 😂, but makes it sound more legit.
One day when their flight schedule is light this week he’s going to call me so I can come by, he wants me to run one of my cars so how can see how I do everything, then hopefully he will let me come back. I’ll also be able to see how smooth the runway is.
The one in jersey I used had a lot of bumps and I flipped two cars when running there.

Advice would be try to be stressing safety as the top priority.

Typically you need a radio at all times to be aware of any emergency landings or pilots coming in or going out

I had a dead airport near my house that I allways went to and last summer I got stopped by local police and said "your trespassing" I said " is there a plane coming? Cop said don't be a smart ass and leave or I'll take all your equipment and give you a 500 dollar fine plus arrest you.so I said thank you for your services and packed up and left..🤷

They will simply say No.liabilty reasons..
Try to find a business complex center.most of the times there is a long road behind them where trailers load .I have a few that are allways pretty quiet.
Private property is what it is, Private and no one wants the liability, especially those that have no idea about the RC hobby.
One also has to consider the Muddied up RC drone rules now in effect.
Many don't understand the Part 103 and 107 FAA laws in regards to make matters worse. You would need a very small privately run air strip without any Security or Police jurisdiction., they might oblige an RC'er. A very tall task these days.
Ive been wanting to try some speed runs. Seems 5-6am weekend mornings is the only good time to try, lots of empty roads at that time.
Yeah how I Speed run.
I also find late at night with Led's on my Lim works out great.

Last edited:
Tarmacs are federally controlled and permits are required to step foot of them. Trust me when I tell you this.

I have a small low volume airfield right across from my house. They have a day or two a year where they have RC plane events. I'm going to try and get over there when they have it this year to talk to them and see if at minimum they'd allow me to run the car while they are having the event. And hopefully have a conversation about the possibility of being able to run over there like once a month.

Old thread but, I live right near a small airport McKinney Airport in McKinney Texas. I was doing my speedruns at night outside the Traxxas Headquarters in Allen Texas. Traxxas is only a 5 min drive from by house. I called McKinney Airport and they literally said what everyone else was saying. “Due to liability and property damage concerns, we cannot accommodate your request.”

I am going to use my freeway service road a block from my house at 2-4am. Literally no cars in the road and if there are any, you’ll see them coming from literally miles away.

The road is super lit up with huge bright lights from the tall street lights (They’re huge). The surface in the service road is also brand new and it is smooth concrete. They don’t use blacktop in Collin County Texas.

Will see what happens! Hopefully the police don’t radar my car and give me a ticket for excessive speed. 🫡

Old thread but, I live right near a small airport McKinney Airport in McKinney Texas. I was doing my speedruns at night outside the Traxxas Headquarters in Allen Texas. Traxxas is only a 5 min drive from by house. I called McKinney Airport and they literally said what everyone else was saying. “Due to liability and property damage concerns, we cannot accommodate your request.”

I am going to use my freeway service road a block from my house at 2-4am. Literally no cars in the road and if there are any, you’ll see them coming from literally miles away.

The road is super lit up with huge bright lights from the tall street lights (They’re huge). The surface in the service road is also brand new and it is smooth concrete. They don’t use blacktop in Collin County Texas.

Will see what happens! Hopefully the police don’t radar my car and give me a ticket for excessive speed. 🫡

How long is that service road?

Oh it’s long as heck. I can go along it for 3-4 miles and just stop and
Pick to run anywhere on it. Where I’m thinking of doing it is by the group of car dealerships so I can park my truck in the mouth of one the dealership driveways and use that as my standing point. Then I’m going to also stand on the roof of my 4Runner to get the best vantage point. It’s absolutely flat and straight. It goes along side hwy 75 which goes for miles and miles. It’s more than enough room for me to have a good go at it. Plus it is 4 lanes wide at the part where I want to go. So if I have control issues if any kind. I’ll have plenty of width to correct it before hitting a curb or hitting the grass embankment.

I thought about installing headlights and taillights on the vendetta just so when it’s far away after a run. I can know which way I’m facing and run it back. But this spot is so lit up at night, I’m sure I won’t have any issues anymore. Sometimes when I do a run in the other spot by Traxxas. I can’t even see it. At all. I had a small crash because of this. I thought I was facing straight and started to come back quick to get another flyby in, and I drove it right into the curb like a putz as soon as I started to go. . No serious damages though. Just cracked the front lip of the body a tiny bit. But felt so stupid. 😩

Here’s a Google earth. I intend to park in that driveway entrance at the ford dealer. Then run the car the way the can is facing. Notice the tall highway lights. Those things illuminate everything and there is a few of them. Plus the lights from the dealerships stay on at night. It’s super lit up in the nighttime.
IMG_1592.png

Last edited:
Foreign object damage is the problem here. If jets use the runway it's an unnecessary danger. Too much of a risk that not all parts are picked up after some rc crash. Large runways are actually often not that good for speed running anyway. Not that consistent as a surface where tarmac has been replaced before. Country side roads are simply better. You also have lights on the center line of the runway that you can hit. Got to drive down Berlin International Tegel Airport runway in 2021 after it closed. Not suitable for speedruns at all.

Last edited:
Yeah I totally get it. I would be super careful if I was allowed. I’d even walk the whole thing first to make sure I don’t run into anything sitting out there too.

I see Raz from Perfect Pass running in a runway all the time, but I bet he knows someone to get that kind of permission. He’s even blown up lipos right there but he does clean it all up.

I even told the airport manager that I don’t even need a true runway, even a taxi runway or just a flat straight where the hangars are. They still said no. 😤

Pick to run anywhere on it. Where I’m thinking of doing it is by the group of car dealerships so I can park my truck in the mouth of one the dealership driveways and use that as my standing point. Then I’m going to also stand on the roof of my 4Runner to get the best vantage point. It’s absolutely flat and straight. It goes along side hwy 75 which goes for miles and miles. It’s more than enough room for me to have a good go at it. Plus it is 4 lanes wide at the part where I want to go. So if I have control issues if any kind. I’ll have plenty of width to correct it before hitting a curb or hitting the grass embankment.

I thought about installing headlights and taillights on the vendetta just so when it’s far away after a run. I can know which way I’m facing and run it back. But this spot is so lit up at night, I’m sure I won’t have any issues anymore. Sometimes when I do a run in the other spot by Traxxas. I can’t even see it. At all. I had a small crash because of this. I thought I was facing straight and started to come back quick to get another flyby in, and I drove it right into the curb like a putz as soon as I started to go. . No serious damages though. Just cracked the front lip of the body a tiny bit. But felt so stupid. 😩

Here’s a Google earth. I intend to park in that driveway entrance at the ford dealer. Then run the car the way the can is facing. Notice the tall highway lights. Those things illuminate everything and there is a few of them. Plus the lights from the dealerships stay on at night. It’s super lit up in the nighttime.
View attachment 343787

Looks slightly downhill from this direction. Free hp 😋
Yeah I totally get it. I would be super careful if I was allowed. I’d even walk the whole thing first to make sure I don’t run into anything sitting out there too.

I see Raz from Perfect Pass running in a runway all the time, but I bet he knows someone to get that kind of permission. He’s even blown up lipos right there but he does clean it all up.

I even told the airport manager that I don’t even need a true runway, even a taxi runway or just a flat straight where the hangars are. They still said no. 😤

Pretty sure he owns that runway. 🤷‍♂️

He is also a pilot, so I'm sure he knows some people.

View attachment 343787

The lights are so useful. I've lost mine in the shadows during the day at like 800 ft away. It's much smaller than you think. Yeah I know that's what she said. Ha ha. At some point I will be putting lights on mine for day time running but I've got a bit on the honey do list at the moment.

Please tell my you have a platform on your 4Runner. Cars are not meant for standing on these days. Poor cars.

Looking around the area you have so many potentially good roads. Any location I would drive the length of the road and look for debri, pot holes, whatever before hand.

Also is it a problem with the Ford place if you park there? They may not care, you may not want to ask, I dunno, but it's a car dealership in the middle of the night. That spot looks good from the pics but there are some turtles or remnants of turtles. You don't want to hit those at speed. Turn 180 from your view and you can see it.
1705888532798.png

Also watch out for the pit of despair. I saw one video of a car going down the hole and he went in after it. Not much of a choice there.
1705888600032.png

Foreign object damage is the problem here. If jets use the runway it's an unnecessary danger. Too much of a risk that not all parts are picked up after some rc crash. Large runways are actually often not that good for speed running anyway. Not that consistent as a surface where tarmac has been replaced before. Country side roads are simply better. You also have lights on the center line of the runway that you can hit. Got to drive down Berlin International Tegel Airport runway in 2021 after it closed. Not suitable for speedruns at all.

Great point about the debri. Cut tires are bad for planes and expensive. In my are area they are afraid of (California) wild fires like you wouldn't believe. No one want's to be "that guy" that started the <blah blah> wild fire.

There is one air base that we could potentially run at. Alameda Naval Air Station. It's been long since abandon and it use primarily for TV/Movies now. It was a favorite location for Mythbusters.
1705889480400.png

It's generally pretty open the public which can be a problem because you can't tell people to not walk their dog. The winds can be gusty with no protection from the bay. The penalty for loosing control is a watery grave. Also it's not really maintained and can be dirty. Then if you zoom in you see the damage from years of neglect. At some point I'm going to go check it out in person.
1705889663464.png

Last edited:
Looks slightly downhill from this direction. Free hp 😋

Pretty sure he owns that runway. 🤷‍♂️

He is also a pilot, so I'm sure he knows some people.
Yeah it is downhill but now I was pointed out that the reflectors can cause a problem. :/. I’m pretty sure I’ll be able to find a good place close to me to do this.

I was running right by Traxxas HQ. In hopes they’d actually see me and maybe 🤔 let me inside the tracks I’ve heard they have indoors. This kid I know said that the tracks are 24 hours but when you go there, the gates are locked and you can’t even drive in the parking lot. So I don’t know how true that can possibly be?

Here’s a shot of the arrma boost box 4s all metal differentials I installed. I also installed aluminum yokes and took off the hard plastic ones they came with.

IMG_1452.jpeg

The lights are so useful. I've lost mine in the shadows during the day at like 800 ft away. It's much smaller than you think. Yeah I know that's what she said. Ha ha. At some point I will be putting lights on mine for day time running but I've got a bit on the honey do list at the moment.

Please tell my you have a platform on your 4Runner. Cars are not meant for standing on these days. Poor cars.

Looking around the area you have so many potentially good roads. Any location I would drive the length of the road and look for debri, pot holes, whatever before hand.

Also is it a problem with the Ford place if you park there? They may not care, you may not want to ask, I dunno, but it's a car dealership in the middle of the night. That spot looks good from the pics but there are some turtles or remnants of turtles. You don't want to hit those at speed. Turn 180 from your view and you can see it.
View attachment 343796

Also watch out for the pit of despair. I saw one video of a car going down the hole and he went in after it. Not much of a choice there.
View attachment 343797

Great point about the debri. Cut tires are bad for planes and expensive. In my are area they are afraid of (California) wild fires like you wouldn't believe. No one want's to be "that guy" that started the <blah blah> wild fire.

There is one air base that we could potentially run at. Alameda Naval Air Station. It's been long since abandon and it use primarily for TV/Movies now. It was a favorite location for Mythbusters.
View attachment 343806

It's generally pretty open the public which can be a problem because you can't tell people to not walk their dog. The winds can be gusty with no protection from the bay. The penalty for loosing control is a watery grave. Also it's not really maintained and can be dirty. Then if you zoom in you see the damage from years of neglect. At some point I'm going to go check it out in person.
View attachment 343807
Wow man I would still love to try it out there. I know that it seems neglected but I bet if let’s say me and you walked into there with a push broom and walked it first for debri and what not. I’m sure we could have some fun 🤩. Pause. But you know what I’m saying. 🫶🏻

Please post here and let me know if you go. I would literally take a trip to visit a couple friends I haven’t seen in a while in Concorde just to come there and have a shot at getting some runway runs in. So cool. 😎
Yeah it is downhill but now I was pointed out that the reflectors can cause a problem. :/. I’m pretty sure I’ll be able to find a good place close to me to do this.

I was running right by Traxxas HQ. In hopes they’d actually see me and maybe 🤔 let me inside the tracks I’ve heard they have indoors. This kid I know said that the tracks are 24 hours but when you go there, the gates are locked and you can’t even drive in the parking lot. So I don’t know how true that can possibly be?

Here’s a shot of the arrma boost box 4s all metal differentials I installed. I also installed aluminum yokes and took off the hard plastic ones they came with.

IMG_1452.jpeg

Wow man I would still love to try it out there. I know that it seems neglected but I bet if let’s say me and you walked into there with a push broom and walked it first for debri and what not. I’m sure we could have some fun 🤩. Pause. But you know what I’m saying. 🫶🏻

Please post here and let me know if you go. I would literally take a trip to visit a couple friends I haven’t seen in a while in Concorde just to come there and have a shot at getting some runway runs in. So cool. 😎
I definitely need lights to help with getting the car back. Or even doing a hot lap and running back my way again. I literally just fixed the body because I did a run one way. Then I THOUGHT I was facing perfectly straight back in my direction, but soon as I started going. BOOM. CRUNCHH AKIIRCHHH.

Smacked the curb. Ended up on top of the curb. Messed up the car in front splitter underneath and cracked the front left corner front of the body. Not bad at all. But just fixed it last night with some resin and sanding, then used electrical tape to seal the crack and tore glue to stop it from continuing to crack.

Here’s some pics I just took while typing this reply.
IMG_1594.jpeg
IMG_1595.jpeg
IMG_1596.jpeg
IMG_1597.jpeg
IMG_1598.jpeg

Last edited:

View attachment 343952

I definitely need lights to help with getting the car back. Or even doing a hot lap and running back my way again. I literally just fixed the body because I did a run one way. Then I THOUGHT I was facing perfectly straight back in my direction, but soon as I started going. BOOM. CRUNCHH AKIIRCHHH.

Smacked the curb. Ended up on top of the curb. Messed up the car in front splitter underneath and cracked the front left corner front of the body. Not bad at all. But just fixed it last night with some resin and sanding, then used electrical tape to seal the crack and tore glue to stop it from continuing to crack.

Here’s some pics I just took while typing this reply. View attachment 343956View attachment 343957View attachment 343958View attachment 343959View attachment 343960

You sir keep a wicked clean rig! My ocd loves it man.. I can't stand dirty rc. I swear 25% of my rc hobby is driving, 50% wrenching and 25% cleaning 🤣😂

Did you mention what that aluminum module was? Brand? Looks legit!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back