Anyone have machinist experience?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are security vulnerabilities remaining in XP that will never be fixed. Support ended a while ago. Leave it offline and use a flash drive to move data to it.
Never thought about that?

What material will you be using?

I believe it is PLA? My buddy has the printer and I just send him the files. We have awesome printers at work which are the liquid style but they are always busy running production anymore so it’s hard to get a spot on the bed.

I believe it is PLA? My buddy has the printer and I just send him the files. We have awesome printers at work which are the liquid style but they are always busy running production anymore so it’s hard to get a spot on the bed.

Keep us posted on how the pla holds up to the temps... can might get a touch to warm for pla... could try pla +.. it has a higher glass transition temp...

Beautiful design @Mongoose
I cannot wait to see it on the car!

Thank you and will do.
Keep us posted on how the pla holds up to the temps... can might get a touch to warm for pla... could try pla +.. it has a higher glass transition temp...

Ok I will ask him. I know he has carbon fiber type stuff but the tolerances were way off the last time. Something about moisture getting in it?

Whatever you do, don’t plug that XP PC into the Internet or connect it to WiFi.
There are security vulnerabilities remaining in XP that will never be fixed. Support ended a while ago. Leave it offline and use a flash drive to move data to it.
I’m pretty sure xp is much new than windows 95

I’m pretty sure xp is much new than windows 95
Holy $hit! I had to go back and look to be sure. He did say 95!! Wow. I remember reading old OS and XP is super old in my mind. W95 wasn’t even out yet when I started in IT. Heck it wasn’t called IT then ??

Holy $hit! I had to go back and look to be sure. He did say 95!! Wow. I remember reading old OS and XP is super old in my mind. W95 wasn’t even out yet when I started in IT. Heck it wasn’t called IT then ??
I also have a power mac g4 running OS 9.2 a PowerBook running OS 10.4 and a Macintosh classic
The g4 is in this on
60551500-69DC-46FD-A4F4-92E3C59DBB49.jpeg

and this are self explanatory
253F717D-2A3B-48D2-A2CB-065401A34049.jpeg
870949A9-2244-4921-A777-0B5B37F95C51.jpeg

Awesome little lathe. its pretty simple just to program it long hand. You only have one tool and one spindle and two axis. We would program those with a template program loaded into the machine which had everything to get started and just edit it to what we needed at the machine. No need for any fancy software. Sometimes those Enco will just take a text file from notepad or wordpad. Its been decades since I fooled around with one so I cant help you too much but the guys that hang out at https://www.practicalmachinist.com/ surely could. I bet several guys have those and would like nothing better than to talk about it. Good luck.

Awesome little lathe. its pretty simple just to program it long hand. You only have one tool and one spindle and two axis. We would program those with a template program loaded into the machine which had everything to get started and just edit it to what we needed at the machine. No need for any fancy software. Sometimes those Enco will just take a text file from notepad or wordpad. Its been decades since I fooled around with one so I cant help you too much but the guys that hang out at https://www.practicalmachinist.com/ surely could. I bet several guys have those and would like nothing better than to talk about it. Good luck.

Thanks @Jimbobjr
I will make an account and investigate!
Do you know if the lathe will cut titanium?

Thanks @Jimbobjr
I will make an account and investigate!
Do you know if the lathe will cut titanium?
It may as long as the diameter isn't too big. You may need to fool around with speeds and feeds to get it just right. Definitely have some aluminum test pieces or some delrin. Decent tooling helps too. Does it have a turret? In the one pic it looks like it does, that's cool. The one i worked on just had a little square tool block that took 1/4" tool bits. I was the older orange Emcos from the '80's.

It may as long as the diameter isn't too big. You may need to fool around with speeds and feeds to get it just right. Definitely have some aluminum test pieces or some delrin. Decent tooling helps too. Does it have a turret? In the one pic it looks like it does, that's cool. The one i worked on just had a little square tool block that took 1/4" tool bits. I was the older orange Emcos from the '80's.
I will take a look in the morning an take some close-up pics to help

I also booted up the computer earlier this evening and I appears to need an operating system and doesn’t have anything on the drive....

Alright @Camaroboy383 i just checked out your thingiverse page and man, nice work brother. What kind of printer do you have and how much are they. What’s the Z stroke? Looks like it’s 18” or something which is insane! I want in on this stuff!

Any of you guys use a Space Pilot or Spaceball? If you haven’t and you are serious about 3D modeling I HIGHLY recommend buying one. It’s like holding the part in your hand. You’ll never use the mouse to rotate, pan and zoom again.

https://www.3dconnexion.com/spacemouse_pro/en/

View attachment 64851
Use this same one for work every day! They also work for PC gaming, or at least used too. Hard for most to get used to, but once you do... what a diff it makes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back