Limitless Arrma Forum 3s speed run challenge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice man! Very nice. We are for sure to get hosed but it will for sure be a blast getting said hosing. I haven’t been able to find a road either. Everything is hilly and curvy around here, much like my wife, but what goes well on a woman isn’t great for straight line running. We may actually have to take a drive to figure this one out. Meanwhile I need to find somewhere nearby to practice now that my car is in shape. I still get nervous when driving straight towards me at speed and either swerve or panic brake as it passes 🙄
I feel you on the last sentence. Took me a while to get used to that too. To make it easier try the following: Don't stand in the middle of where you're running but a good ways further to one side (say at the the 30% mark) so that you do most of your driving after it passes you (I hope this makes sense). Driving from behind the car is more natural and intuitive than when it's coming at you and you're no longer accelerating at yourself but rather away from you which, I found, helps calm the nerves. Just a thought.

1656425524690.png

Very nice man! Very nice. We are for sure to get hosed but it will for sure be a blast getting said hosing. I haven’t been able to find a road either. Everything is hilly and curvy around here, much like my wife, but what goes well on a woman isn’t great for straight line running. We may actually have to take a drive to figure this one out. Meanwhile I need to find somewhere nearby to practice now that my car is in shape. I still get nervous when driving straight towards me at speed and either swerve or panic brake as it passes 🙄
Consider standing on a ladder or something. It really helps with safety and your visible range improves.
There certainly is something to be said about experience and time doing this part of the hobby.

Finding that ideal road is really tuff, especially in Texas!

Consider standing on a ladder or something. It really helps with safety and your visible range improves.
There certainly is something to be said about experience and time doing this part of the hobby.

+1
Perhaps in Dallas but I know where I would be driving in the greater Austin area. There are some amazing roads out in the areas where Silicon Valley 2.0 resides. Long and wide multi-lane stretches of road with little traffic and smooth asphalt.
I think experience and time are a bit underrated at this end of the hobby. Maybe the fact that you're "just driving in a straight line" sounds misleadingly simple and easy? Just speculating ;)
I'm still looking for a ladder I can fit in my Rucksack lol...I don't have a full sized car and seating in the Infraction is rather cramped.

+1
Perhaps in Dallas but I know where I would be driving in the greater Austin area. There are some amazing roads out in the areas where Silicon Valley 2.0 resides. Long and wide multi-lane stretches of road with little traffic and smooth asphalt.
I think experience and time are a bit underrated at this end of the hobby. Maybe the fact that you're "just driving in a straight line" sounds misleadingly simple and easy? Just speculating ;)
I'm still looking for a ladder I can fit in my Rucksack lol...I don't have a full sized car and seating in the Infraction is rather cramped.

Now living in Germany you should be able to do this....

ladder GIF

Now living in Germany you should be able to do this....

ladder GIF
Are you kidding? That's my daily morning exercise routine. But after breaking down that ladder to fit it in my backpack...by the time the glue has set so that I may once again climb of it, the sun is rising and I have traffic to contend with. It's an imperfect solution, but great for hand eye coordination and sense of balance.

Are you kidding? That's my daily morning exercise routine. But after breaking down that ladder to fit it in my backpack...by the time the glue has set so that I may once again climb of it, the sun is rising and I have traffic to contend with. It's an imperfect solution, but great for hand eye coordination and sense of balance.
On a serious note, before I worked in IT/software I used to work on homes and these "Little Giant" ladders are really great.
They fold down very small but when extended still are extremely stable. My favorite thing is how they can be adjusted for unlevel ground which is ideal for an RC use case off the side of the road.

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Giant...ocphy=9026831&hvtargid=pla-277859144772&psc=1

On a serious note, before I worked in IT/software I used to work on homes and these "Little Giant" ladders are really great.
They fold down very small but when extended still are extremely stable. My favorite thing is how they can be adjusted for unlevel ground which is ideal for an RC use case off the side of the road.

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Giant...ocphy=9026831&hvtargid=pla-277859144772&psc=1
Yeah, these things are great. Just not very practical for carrying 15-20mins down the road. I'm ok on the road I'm using as the visibility is good in both directions from where I'm standing. There's an ever so slight curvature to the road and I'm basically standing at the apex. This puts me at the spot shortly after where I hit WOT so I get the full speed experience as it passes me which I absolutely love.

Yes we were discussing how speed runners do that ladder thing. It will take some time but I’ll get it down eventually 🙃
I feel you on the last sentence. Took me a while to get used to that too. To make it easier try the following: Don't stand in the middle of where you're running but a good ways further to one side (say at the the 30% mark) so that you do most of your driving after it passes you (I hope this makes sense). Driving from behind the car is more natural and intuitive than when it's coming at you and you're no longer accelerating at yourself but rather away from you which, I found, helps calm the nerves. Just a thought.

View attachment 226350
I like this idea! Think I’ve been doing it rather the opposite which is adding to the panic mode. Mainly it’s the switching from moving towards me versus away that I’m having troubles with. I think. Thanks man!

Last edited:
Weather is top effing notch today, dry and sunny with a high of 78°F, tonight clear with a low of 58°F. I've opted to drop one more tooth from the spool. Depending on how the SRDs hold and recover voltage at this gearing I'm aiming for 126-129mph. At the beep it will be 5:17pm.
**BEEP**

Weather is top effing notch today, dry and sunny with a high of 78°F, tonight clear with a low of 58°F. I've opted to drop one more tooth from the spool. Depending on how the SRDs hold and recover voltage at this gearing I'm aiming for 126-129mph. At the beep it will be 5:17pm.
**BEEP**
Good luck man!

I like this idea! Think I’ve been doing it rather the opposite which is adding to the panic mode. Mainly it’s the switching from moving towards me versus away that I’m having troubles with. I think. Thanks man!
Happy to be of assistance :)

Yeah, having a car barreling towards you at full chat can be a bit unnerving and will take some getting used to. If I could make a few more recommendations - get a temp sensor on your motor and some good fans, some high capacity packs (or just take several packs with you if purchasing more isn't an option) and try to make 10 high speed passes every time you go out. It's the old concept of exposure therapy and will really speed up the process of getting accustomed to speed. Anxiety/jitteriness is a real killer when it comes to speed running. It's difficult to enjoy a run when you have a knot in your stomach and your hands are twitchy and this kind of exposure therapy really helps break down the fear before the run. You're able to enjoy the excitement a whole lot more and you can focus on important details such as trigger pull which will go a long way to improving things such as voltage sag and, in turn, max RPMs and achieved speed (I actually physically count out the seconds of my trigger pull to help me keep time in check relative to where I am in my trigger pull). These are some of my own experiences with speed running. Maybe they work for you too :)

Happy to be of assistance :)

Yeah, having a car barreling towards you at full chat can be a bit unnerving and will take some getting used to. If I could make a few more recommendations - get a temp sensor on your motor and some good fans, some high capacity packs (or just take several packs with you if purchasing more isn't an option) and try to make 10 high speed passes every time you go out. It's the old concept of exposure therapy and will really speed up the process of getting accustomed to speed. Anxiety/jitteriness is a real killer when it comes to speed running. It's difficult to enjoy a run when you have a knot in your stomach and your hands are twitchy and this kind of exposure therapy really helps break down the fear before the run. You're able to enjoy the excitement a whole lot more and you can focus on important details such as trigger pull which will go a long way to improving things such as voltage sag and, in turn, max RPMs and achieved speed (I actually physically count out the seconds of my trigger pull to help me keep time in check relative to where I am in my trigger pull). These are some of my own experiences with speed running. Maybe they work for you too :)
thanks buddy!! Much appreciated!!!

I just ordered this,figured I'd share cause it'll look funny hooked up.BIT ITS STILL A PARALLEL CONNECTOR

View attachment 226405
Nice...Not cheap, but looks well constructed. I made myself two of these for quad parallel.
1656459206785.jpeg

And these for normal dual parallel.
1656459345291.jpeg

Alrighty then...
  1. Lipos charged
    Check mark, Wingdings font, character code 252 decimal.
  2. Wheel nuts fastened
  3. Gear mesh checked & double checked
  4. GNSS charged and functionality verified
  5. Front & rear light functionality tested
  6. Tx battery tested & spare packed
  7. Emergency tool kit packed
  8. Lipo heater powered up & packed
  9. Weather checked and verified by poking head outside
At the tone it will be 1:53AM. Auto sequence start in 1hr:7min.
**BEEP**

Last edited:
Ok, no dice tonight. I "only" managed 121mph so, my initial gut instinct is, it would appear that I've hit the point where voltage is sagging too much and the available torque has become insufficient to overcome wind resistance (rolling resistance is nearing zero on the car...it's buttah). I haven't viewed the logs yet to see what was going on, I'll do that tomorrow. It's 4:30am here now and my neck has been killing me all day. As it stands now I'm going to make one more dual parallel outing going up one tooth on the spool to see how that plays out. I'm thinking I should pick up 2-3mph doing that. If the weather holds I'll give that a go tomorrow night.

Ok, no dice tonight. I "only" managed 121mph so, my initial gut instinct is, it would appear that I've hit the point where voltage is sagging too much and the available torque has become insufficient to overcome wind resistance (rolling resistance is nearing zero on the car...it's buttah). I haven't viewed the logs yet to see what was going on, I'll do that tomorrow. It's 4:30am here now and my neck has been killing me all day. As it stands now I'm going to make one more dual parallel outing going up one tooth on the spool to see how that plays out. I'm thinking I should pick up 2-3mph doing that. If the weather holds I'll give that a go tomorrow night.
Bummer,
I was fully expecting to see some new high speed! Hopefully, the quad setup works well for you. Is there a different gear combo that could net a slightly less aggressive FD increase?

Bummer,
I was fully expecting to see some new high speed! Hopefully, the quad setup works well for you. Is there a different gear combo that could net a slightly less aggressive FD increase?
I was 50/50 on the gearing. Like said, I'm gonna go up one tooth on the spool for tonight's run (weather permitting) once more with dual parallel before opening it up to quadrallel. I'm banking on a 2-3mph increase over last night but that should wrap up my exploits on two lipos.

I was 50/50 on the gearing. Like said, I'm gonna go up one tooth on the spool for tonight's run (weather permitting) once more with dual parallel before opening it up to quadrallel. I'm banking on a 2-3mph increase over last night but that should wrap up my exploits on two lipos.

Sounds like a solid plan. Good luck man!

FYI to all, I am heading out of state for my cousins wedding. I will be online considerably less over the next 6 days for updating this 3s challenge list, but should be able to get online in the evenings.
My 10 yr old son and I are going to enjoy some nice cool days in San Francisco! It is supposed to be a high temp of 61 F. there tomorrow, and I cannot wait to be away from this Texas heat!

FYI to all, I am heading out of state for my cousins wedding. I will be online considerably less over the next 6 days for updating this 3s challenge list, but should be able to get online in the evenings.
My 10 yr old son and I are going to enjoy some nice cool days in San Francisco! It is supposed to be a high temp of 61 F. there tomorrow, and I cannot wait to be away from this Texas heat!
Have a great trip Mike! I live 20 years in the South Bay and loved day trips to SF. The Buena Vista Bar down by pier 39 makes the best (and first) Irish coffees ever if your into that. Enjoy your family and be safe!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back