Limitless Arrma Forum 3s speed run challenge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel ya. I got the extra set of CNHL 3S batteries for more than just this challenge. I very much wanted to see how these compare to SRDs to see if the price premium for the SMCs is justified or if there is an alternative that gets you close at half the cost.

That is my assumption as well. That was tongue-in-cheek, fwiw. I like to be competitive but, as @Velodromed 's tagline states quite aptly, "hitting the plateau of diminishing returns" would very much apply in this case I suspect and I'm not throwing another $300 at this challenge just for the halibut. Believe me, I'm not opposed to ridiculous as it can often be fun. But I just don't have that kind of spare change lying around.
That’s a line I often heard Adam savage say on myth busters. It rather makes sense in how I approach things…or over approach things.
lol, that's funny. My former brother-in-law worked for a sub-contrator at NASA on the space shuttle program (when it still existed) and I believe to remember hearing him say something rather similar. Small world, no? :LOL:

Not to distract from the current challenge or get too far ahead of ourselves but, is there an appetite for a 4S challenge following this one? I think it would be kinda fun to do successive challenges going up the cell count. I think this would also be a good way to safely and smartly get faster incrementally for anyone wanting to get into speed running. I think a lot of people out there make the mistake of jumping into this side of the hobby and throwing 6S and 8S builds in their cars not having a real understanding or appreciation for how much power there is in those systems and wind up having mishaps and accidents that take them out again. I'll be frank, I'm terrified of 8S. 6S is already scary. This question is, of course, directed at everyone so, feel free to chime in.
(yes) 🤪

I was happy with 3S for not needing a long road and having some decent batteries at hand. Would even have joined Liberty at 2S if i had capable batteries at hand.
Certainly as most speedrunners (eventually end up/) do 8S, we have many 4S packs. And it's not a waste to buy more.
It's indeed a nice step up for later, when we have it all maxed out on 3S.

I am replacing my diff casings on the limitless as we speak, so no runs today.
Just got shipping confirmation for the new xlx2 and a deltaplastics dome body.

That’s a line I often heard Adam savage say on myth busters. It rather makes sense in how I approach things…or over approach things.

(yes) 🤪
lol...it's so true though. I've been playing guitar for most of my life and there's a price range on guitars where you really see and feel the extra money you're spending (The range is in the $1000-2000 bracket at the upper end). Beyond that, it really becomes more and more difficult to justify spending $3k, $5k or God forbid, some rare old Les Paul for $270k. Is that old Les Paul 100x better than a new LP Custom? No, of course it isn't.

lol...it's so true though. I've been playing guitar for most of my life and there's a price range on guitars where you really see and feel the extra money you're spending (The range is in the $1000-2000 bracket at the upper end). Beyond that, it really becomes more and more difficult to justify spending $3k, $5k or God forbid, some rare old Les Paul for $270k. Is that old Les Paul 100x better than a new LP Custom? No, of course it isn't.
In project management they say 80% of the result is done by 20% of the effort.

Also people want ferrari's while what they need is a fiat multipla

But it has history. Like a 69 Camaro compared to a 2022 Camaro.

In project management they say 80% of the result is done by 20% of the effort.

Also people want ferrari's while what they need is a fiat multipla
Yes, the Pareto principle. While I agree with the Ferrari...I'll go with the Espace. I just can't get over the Multipla's looks :LOL:
But it has history. Like a 69 Camaro compared to a 2022 Camaro.
Oh absolutely. I'm not suggesting one should not buy them simply because they're not proportionally better to the premium in cost. I love old things. They have a feel and smell to them that you just can't fake and it's difficult to put a price on intangibles. Market principles still apply. Why does a '59 Les Paul cost upwards of a quarter of a million dollars? Because people are willing to pay it. Supply and demand, a tale as old as time...or as old as societies with currency anyways.

Not to distract from the current challenge or get too far ahead of ourselves but, is there an appetite for a 4S challenge following this one? I think it would be kinda fun to do successive challenges going up the cell count. I think this would also be a good way to safely and smartly get faster incrementally for anyone wanting to get into speed running. I think a lot of people out there make the mistake of jumping into this side of the hobby and throwing 6S and 8S builds in their cars not having a real understanding or appreciation for how much power there is in those systems and wind up having mishaps and accidents that take them out again. I'll be frank, I'm terrified of 8S. 6S is already scary. This question is, of course, directed at everyone so, feel free to chime in.

I think I would be game for a 4s challenge next, although I wonder how long this 3s Challenge will run (the point where we max out our setups or kill the LiPos like I did on my 2s runs)

Looking back seeing myself run 119 mph on 8s I almost 2 years ago, now makes me laugh. I really wish more people would start with 3s. It is an ideal power level to learn on!!!!!

I'd absolutely have to travel to some better roads or do night runs like @Diem Turner (for me it would be out on a state highway). I feel concerned about pedestrians where I run currently. The only saving grace is that no one wants to go out when its 100 F. outside.

Last edited:
I think I would be game for a 4s challenge next, although I wonder how long this 3s Challenge will run (the point where we max out our setups or kill the LiPos like I did on my 2s runs)

Looking back seeing myself run 119 mph on 8s I almost 2 years ago, now makes me laugh. I really wish more people would start with 3s. It is an ideal power level to learn on!!!!!
I feel the exact same way. Now having hit 122 on 3S makes the 127 I pulled on 6S look like a joke. I'm really, really glad you put forth this challenge and got me back into the mindset of starting small and working my way up. How to maximize the amount of available power and all the fiddling that goes along with it, without going straight into speed territories that can completely kill your car in two seconds flat. I'm loving this so much more than I initially thought I would and, irrespective of whether we wind up having a 4S challenge or not, that's how I'm going to proceed. I'll probably skip 5S because I don't have any 2S lipos that would be up for the challenge, but I'm finding that looking for optimization for a particular power envelope to be far more intriguing than just throwing more power at it KT style. I'm not knocking him for trying. I enjoy Jeremy Clarkson style modding as much as the next bloke. But seeing that a dual motor limitless with two $1000 ESCs and 24 cells got him a whopping 135mph is making the gains at 3S all the more satisfying.

Last edited:
Bobs Burgers Tina GIF by FOX TV

Put an XLX2 over Tina's face and Castle Creations on the banner :LOL:

Wanna finely try foams..planning on bsr purple..looking for a good place to buy them..also has anyone ordered tp motors off ebay from r-mamba from china????

Wanna finely try foams..planning on bsr purple..looking for a good place to buy them..also has anyone ordered tp motors off ebay from r-mamba from china????
You can get both at Island Hobby Nut. They have a pretty decent selection of TP motors and three or four different flavors of BSR foams. I have no personal experience with r-mamba though a lot of people on here say nothing but good things about them.

You can get both at Island Hobby Nut. They have a pretty decent selection of TP motors and three or four different flavors of BSR foams. I have no personal experience with r-mamba though a lot of people on here say nothing but good things about them.
I really want this motor..3520kv.its the newer version of the one I'm currently running..ran mine 5s once...motor is good for 6s..I'll try 6s on mine this fall when it cools down some...my 3480kv is a beast an I haven't even seen its full potential yet..I already checked islandhobbynut..china is the only place I can find it..with shipping an taxs it would be over 250$ thou....never paid over 200 for a motor

Screenshot_20220627-175030_eBay.jpg

I really want this motor..3520kv.its the newer version of the one I'm currently running..ran mine 5s once...motor is good for 6s..I'll try 6s on mine this fall when it cools down some...my 3480kv is a beast an I haven't even seen its full potential yet..I already checked islandhobbynut..china is the only place I can find it..with shipping an taxs it would be over 250$ thou....never paid over 200 for a motor

View attachment 226258
My CC1721 and TP5680 ran me about $275 each (shipping on the 1721 was expensive because you can't get it in the EU...I suspect because you can't sell stuff without warranty in Europe). So far the 1721 has been nothing short of stellar in terms of smoothness, quietness and efficiency. Haven't had a chance to test the 5680 yet as it just arrived a few days ago but I suspect it will be a real powerhouse. It's freakin' massive at 1.25kg/2.76lbs.

Okay I’m in. There’s no way my fun size infraction can compete with you guys but I still plan on having a blast! Kinda hope some others with slowish cars will jump in as well.
Anyone? Anyone?
😃
I’ll be jumping in with one for sure, maybe 2. We can have fun and get our respective a$$es handed to us by the cool kids in this challenge. I’m waiting on some GP5 diffs for an “ultimate” Arrma SWB build I’m doing, and I'm also building a Slash 4x4 speed run car. I still haven’t found a damn road yet though!
Not to distract from the current challenge or get too far ahead of ourselves but, is there an appetite for a 4S challenge following this one?
I would totally be in for a 4s challenge. I’m already way more setup for that as opposed to 3s. Most of my rigs are just too heavy to perform on 3s without a very costly build and an XLX2 and I just don’t have the scratch right now.

I’ll be jumping in with one for sure, maybe 2. We can have fun and get our respective a$$es handed to us by the cool kids in this challenge. I’m waiting on some GP5 diffs for an “ultimate” Arrma SWB build I’m doing, and I'm also building a Slash 4x4 speed run car. I still haven’t found a damn road yet though!

I would totally be in for a 4s challenge. I’m already way more setup for that as opposed to 3s. Most of my rigs are just too heavy to perform on 3s without a very costly build and an XLX2 and I just don’t have the scratch right now.
Very nice man! Very nice. We are for sure to get hosed but it will for sure be a blast getting said hosing. I haven’t been able to find a road either. Everything is hilly and curvy around here, much like my wife, but what goes well on a woman isn’t great for straight line running. We may actually have to take a drive to figure this one out. Meanwhile I need to find somewhere nearby to practice now that my car is in shape. I still get nervous when driving straight towards me at speed and either swerve or panic brake as it passes 🙄

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back