Typhon Arrma Typhon - Journey To Speed Build Thread..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry that your motors been "lost". What a ball ache. :rolleyes:

Have you looked at speed meters yet then in the mean time?

it happens... thanks though... im gonna get a garmin fortrex 300 i think.. its the 150 ish model....what about you?

this is last usps scan on the motor... lol

Attachments

• Image-1.jpg
    Image-1.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 59
it happens... thanks though... im gonna get a garmin fortrex 300 i think.. its the 150 ish model....what about you?
I bought the SkyRC GPS speed meter, ...got it from Hobby King for a little over £50 (70 bucks). Tested it in my real car and it all seems fairly accurate.

I actually just figured out my mounting position for the speed meter on the Typhon this evening. I re-positioned the rear shocks wider apart, then swapped the rear wing mounts around (right to left and vice a versa) which gave enough space for the unit to fit in front of the wing as it positioned the wing maybe 5mm further back.
Using some velcro as an extra fixing but I think it should be fairly secure there. Will test it tomorrow.

I bought the SkyRC GPS speed meter, ...got it from Hobby King for a little over £50 (70 bucks). Tested it in my real car and it all seems fairly accurate.

I actually just figured out my mounting position for the speed meter on the Typhon this evening. I re-positioned the rear shocks wider apart, then swapped the rear wing mounts around (right to left and vice a versa) which gave enough space for the unit to fit in front of the wing as it positioned the wing maybe 5mm further back.
Using some velcro as an extra fixing but I think it should be fairly secure there. Will test it tomorrow.

post some pics. id like to see what it ends up looking like... i have only thought about the meter mount briefly... don't really have any solid plans for it yet...

post some pics. id like to see what it ends up looking like... i have only thought about the meter mount briefly... don't really have any solid plans for it yet...
The picture below is after I'd moved my shocks to the furthest edge top mounting point and during the process of swapping the wing mounts over. The wing mount you can see mounted on the right side was actually the one from the left hand side.
By swapping them round like I said above it re-positioned the wing slightly further back.

This picture below is showing my speed meter mounted in place. I used a velcro (hook & loop) strap just for some extra security,

I wanted to mount it like that so that the GPS antenna was facing upwards giving it the best chance of clear communication with satellites.
Also the speed meter, although not weighing much (40grams), positioned there it's adding some weight over the rear tyres so hopefully a little more traction. :)

What do you think?
I'm pleased with it.

The picture below is after I'd moved my shocks to the furthest edge top mounting point and during the process of swapping the wing mounts over. The wing mount you can see mounted on the right side was actually the one from the left hand side.
By swapping them round like I said above it re-positioned the wing slightly further back.

View attachment 30811

This picture below is showing my speed meter mounted in place. I used a velcro (hook & loop) strap just for some extra security,
View attachment 30812

I wanted to mount it like that so that the GPS antenna was facing upwards giving it the best chance of clear communication with satellites.
Also the speed meter, although not weighing much (40grams), positioned there it's adding some weight over the rear tyres so hopefully a little more traction. :)

What do you think?
I'm pleased with it.

Nice work! It looks good.... have you tried out the meter with it mounted to car yet?

Nice work! It looks good.... have you tried out the meter with it mounted to car yet?
That's the plan for tomorrow, ...well errhh today. It's 3:40am here. :LOL:

I have tested it in my real car and tbf it seemed to refresh quickly as well as read accurately. The refresh rate (how often it recalculates the speed/reports its position) is once per second which is nowhere near as good as the Dynamite model which is supposed to refresh ten times per second but for the price and for what I want I think it should be good enough.

I'll report back later today to how I get on with it.

That's the plan for tomorrow, ...well errhh today. It's 3:40am here. :LOL:

I have tested it in my real car and tbf it seemed to refresh quickly as well as read accurately. The refresh rate (how often it recalculates the speed/reports its position) is once per second which is nowhere near as good as the Dynamite model which is supposed to refresh ten times per second but for the price and for what I want I think it should be good enough.

I'll report back later today to how I get on with it.

nice man... sounds good!

Well the speed runs were a lot of fun today and went well considering where I was running it.
I need to find some where with a bit more room as my confidence with handling the Typhon at high speed is better so I'm running out of space before I can really get top end even with my lower gearing (23T/50T) that I'm currently running so with swapping out to my new set up I will definitely need more space.

@cootertwo personally I found once I'd set up my GPS speed meter properly the software isn't too bad. Managed to change the reading from Kph to Mph and data logging from today seems to be working fine. Peak speed I achieved was 65Mph.

Can't wait to see what my new pinion gear and spur set up will do but like I said I really need to find a better place to run it.

Wow! So what are you running the program on? PC? Laptop? Phone? All I get is a blank white screen. I can get to the configuration thing, but that's all. I can tell it to "read" and it shows a bar graph thing, then says reading done, but file is always same size, and contains no info.

Wow! So what are you running the program on? PC? Laptop? Phone? All I get is a blank white screen. I can get to the configuration thing, but that's all. I can tell it to "read" and it shows a bar graph thing, then says reading done, but file is always same size, and contains no info.
I'm running the program on my laptop which has Windows 8 on it. I followed this YouTubers guide...
Link:

At first I did have some issues with the download from the Sky RC website as my laptop couldn't read it so I had to download a program called WinRAR so that it could read/install the Sky RC program on my laptop. Then I kept getting a "Uart failed" message whenever I tried to change the time zone and speed meter reading type (Kph to Mph) so had to download a program from Silabs to sort out that issue.
Link: https://www.silabs.com/products/development-tools/software/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers

Now it works perfectly and after I press "read" and it downloads the data I just click in the box on the right hand side to get the GPS data on Google maps.

Hope that helps. (y)

I can tell it to "read" and it shows a bar graph thing, then says reading done, but file is always same size, and contains no info.
Another thought I just had.
When you run your car with the speed meter on it you have to press "Enter" on the speed meter to get it to record what you're doing and then "Enter" again when you're done to save it. You're doing that are you?

Wow, thanks, no, I wasn't pushing enter again, just off. So it wasn't storing the file. I'll give it another shot later! Thanks again!:)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back