Best tools to cut/tailor body?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corywest

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
Today was our second big "rebuild" day on my son's truck. We replaced the spur gear with a metal one, installed a smaller pinion gear, and put on slightly larger belted tires. While I trimmed the body to fit the best I could with scissors and an xacto knife, I thought there has to be a better way to do this? What tools or techniques do y'all recommend for trimming bodies?

Also, I tried to track down body lifts for the Senton, and while I found some aftermarket parts that had been available in the past I couldn't find anything available today. I tried 3D printing some lifts, but the dimensions were off and they didn't seem strong enough... even when printed in PETG. Has anyone seen aftermarket lifts anywhere?

IMG_4154.jpg

IMG_4156.jpg

For example, would these cut better?

https://smile.amazon.com/CANARY-Scissors-Japanese-Stainless-Patchwork/dp/B0037W56WK/ref=sr_1_14

Last edited:
There IS a better way. Here, watch how this fella does it. I've used this on several bodies myself and it works like a charm. I've time coded it to start at the appropriate segment. Hope this helps :)

Edit: I should add the, perhaps obvious, advice that a new, sharp Exacto/scalpel blade is crucial. Work slow and try to make every cut in one go without lifting the blade to reduce the risk of "steps" in your cut in the event you don't get the tip of the blade back in the groove. I hope this makes sense.

Last edited:
I use the drum sander attachment from the dremel in regular drill for the wheel openings. It doesn't spin as fast as the dremel does so it makes it easier for me to control the shape. IMO.

I use the score and snap method on thin bodies, but I’ve found snips like these work best on plastic up to 2mil delta plastic bodies like a hot knife through butter
https://www.amazon.com/Crescent-Wis..._15?keywords=Tin+snips&qid=1661775607&sr=8-15
View attachment 239824
Yeah, I've used similar snips for bodies and they do work well and I still use them for rough cutting around the bottom of the body to cut the lip off. But I still find the score and snap method produces superior results (provided you take your time), even on 2mm Delta bodies. Sometimes the first "snap" takes a bit of effort (particularly if you don't have much meat on one side of the score) but it still works really well. For me anyways. YMMV :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back