Can the Castle 1717 handle 8S?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I exploded the wrap on on both my 1717 & 1520 1650kv motors on 8S. This was on a Kraton EXB with Hoons and low gearing (18/50), very little load on them. You can't get enough gearing on the EXB with the stock motor mount/center diff anyways for small tires. The 1717 lasted for a couple packs, enough to wear through the cords on hoons front and rear. The 1520 lasted less than 30 seconds with the same setup. Both motors ran on 6S with no issues prior, the 1717 had about 15-20 6S packs through it with stock tires and 4S Backflips. The 1520 had only 2 6S packs on the Hoons through it prior. I think if I had higher gearing so they wouldn't RPM so fast they may have lived, I did order some bigger (23-24) pinions but not sure I even want to try 8S anymore after that deal. Both motors had temp protection of 160F and fans.

my 1717 blew the rotor on 6s.

at 8s the 1717 should be able to free spin without blowing out the rotor

Castle's max rpm rating for the 1717 is 56,000. 8s @ 1650kv is 55,440

curious if Castle builds their own rotors. Either way imo they should be offering to sell just the rotor....there must be allot of perfectly fine 1717 cans out there at this point.

Castle sells some of their rotors. IDK why brands don't work like that. My best guess is it cuts into their profit margins.
I think up to the 1515 they offer rotors.

I would guess it has to do with installation / the wrap getting spoiled installing the rotor; i wonder if they could just use a removable plastic sleeve of sorts to make install "fool proof"

Blew up a 1717-1650kv on 8s after only eight runs, also had cogging issues with the 1270kv on 8s out of the box. No problems on 6s.

You guys are making me feel lucky af wtf 🤣. I've touched at least 5 1717 and all of them handled 8s just fine. Never had a single problem with a castle motor 😱

To answer your question yes here is my all time 8s PB at 153mph with the 1717 1650kv. I also have the 1260Kv and it runs on 8s no problem it's just not as efficient for some reason and heats up faster than the 1650kv.

To answer your question yes here is my all time 8s PB at 153mph with the 1717 1650kv. I also have the 1260Kv and it runs on 8s no problem it's just not as efficient for some reason and heats up faster than the 1650kv.
The only lower kv motor to run hotter than the higher kv counterpart! How did they even manage that?!? :ROFLMAO: Great pass btw!

Thanks. I always thought this comment on the 1260kv product page was a little weird. Sounds like it matches your experience.

1675441755555.png

The only lower kv motor to run hotter than the higher kv counterpart! How did they even manage that?!? :ROFLMAO: Great pass btw!
Thanks man, ya I have no idea but I have both and the 1260Kv definitely runs less efficient.
Thanks. I always thought this comment on the 1260kv product page was a little weird. Sounds like it matches your experience.

View attachment 275276
Yep and also I ran the 1650kv motor at least 50+ 8s passes and not a problem. I still have it and it's in great shape after running it basically a whole year of speed runs.

I ran the 1650kv motor at least 50+ 8s passes and not a problem. I still have it and it's in great shape after running it basically a whole year of speed runs.
Awesome. Do you have any firsthand experience speed running the 1515 and/or 1520? If so, what did you think of them?

Awesome. Do you have any firsthand experience speed running the 1515 and/or 1520? If so, what did you think of them?
I don't I've ran both 1717's, Spektrum 2050kv(on 8s) and TP 4050, 4060, 4070 and now running the 1721 2400kv which is an awesome motor for all voltages 2s to 8s.

Castle sells some of their rotors. IDK why brands don't work like that. My best guess is it cuts into their profit margins.
Tp power sells just the rotors
I don't I've ran both 1717's, Spektrum 2050kv(on 8s) and TP 4050, 4060, 4070 and now running the 1721 2400kv which is an awesome motor for all voltages 2s to 8s.
Did you run a 4060cm? I ran that last year in my stretched typhon, but now have a new to me Infraction that I put the 1721 2400kv into to run this year as well. Any comps between the two in your experience?

Last edited:
Tp power sells just the rotors

Did you run a 4060cm? I ran that last year in my stretched typhon, but now have a new to me Infraction that I put the 1721 2400kv into to run this year as well. Any comps between the two in your experience?
Ya I have a 4060cm but it's a 2080kv where my regular 4060 is a 2620kv so hard to compare.

I think the 1717 is an underrated motor. My only real gripe with it is the 5mm shaft. Once you experience 8mm pinions and the oversized (or properly sized) grub screws, it's kinda hard to go back. But other than that the 1717 is a fantastic performer.
I beat the hell out of my Infraction 1717 (1650 kV ) XLX2 drift truck. on 6s have run 8s & apart from tire life going down super fast it took it

I can see this is an older thread but I just had a 1717 1650 make it 30 seconds on 6s and was done. Cogging and done. Zero issue with warranty. My local shop will have my new one here tomorrow. Good service but I was expecting a whole lot better out of the motor. On another note..... while it ran for those 30 seconds the power was absolutely wicked! Looking forward to getting the new one.

I can see this is an older thread but I just had a 1717 1650 make it 30 seconds on 6s and was done. Cogging and done. Zero issue with warranty. My local shop will have my new one here tomorrow. Good service but I was expecting a whole lot better out of the motor. On another note..... while it ran for those 30 seconds the power was absolutely wicked! Looking forward to getting the new one.
I think the silver lining here is that you got the grenading out of the way right at the start so, statistically speaking, you have a really good chance that the replacement motor will be one that lasts. :)

I think the silver lining here is that you got the grenading out of the way right at the start so, statistically speaking, you have a really good chance that the replacement motor will be one that lasts. :)
Man I hope so! I was like a kid that had an ice cream come slapped out of their hands. Pretty excited to get the new one. Thanks for the reply

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back